2006 D2D Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by vegasphotog, Jun 17, 2006.

1. MotoMamma

MotoMamma Living Life

Oddometer:
    Hackys jacket has belts on the side. First Gear Jacket....They make very good handles.

Of course when he wheelies with me on the back he gets squeezed!

We have communicators....it makes a world of difference.:ear

See Barb she will definitely set you up!

Kodiak Frank......That is too funny!:ear
  2. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    MM, call me, Three 45-1738
  3. TRACTOR RIDER

TRACTOR RIDER No Rules Gruver

Oddometer:
    Watch for promo's from AUTO COM I got my intercom for 1/2 price. Barb should give the same deal.:deal

TR:huh
  4. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    After our A/C run, and the fatigue induced coma that followed, I awoke to another beautiful morning. Today was a day of rest and catching up on things like laundry and tire changes. Well, the laundry didn't get done but it was too nice of weather to be stuck doing such mundane chores anyway.

I headed in to George's Trails End BMW in Fairbanks for the tire change but found he was closed until that afternoon, bummer. So off I go in search of a shop to change out my tire. The Alaska Fun Center shop said they'd change the tire if I removed it from the bike...
    [​IMG]

It was pretty hot in the sun when I started to remove the gear from the bike but luckily this showed up just in time to help out...
    [​IMG]

After reassembling the GS, I go about wandering the streets of Fairbanks and end up at George's place again. Now, I've heard of George for years (even while living in Florida:puke1 ) and was not about to miss the opportunity of meeting him. I was not dissapointed in the least...George is a cantankerous, gruff, and brutally honest old school mechanic and a hell of a great guy. If you ever get the chance, go meet George.

On my way back to base camp, I fall in behind the Moose (who had been out crusing for chicks or something like that) also heading back. When I catch up to him, I tell him about a old dredge I heard about thats a little way up the road (I believe this dredge was built in the 1920's and was run until the 1960) . So off we go...
    [​IMG]

My first thought was "Holy shite, this thing is huge".
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once aboard my thoughts went more along the lines of "This is f'in creepy, please don't let me find a body in here:eek1 ".
    [​IMG]

Almost all the machinery in this thing was belt driven.

Drill press...
    [​IMG]

Generator...
    [​IMG]

God knows what...
    [​IMG]

Another generator...
    [​IMG]

Pumps...
    [​IMG]

And grinders.
    [​IMG]

There was even a ladies room...
    [​IMG]
    (The "toilet" had no plumbing and need not be flushed, it was bascally a seat mounted over a hole hangin' over the back side of the dredge!)

Flowers growing in the castoff area behind the dredge...
    [​IMG]

There were literally hundreds of acres of stone debris fields like this left from the mining machines.
    [​IMG]

After a short hike to the bikes...
    [​IMG]

we head back to the mining camp and await the arrival of the other riders.

Later that afternoon, after most of the riders have returned, two more riders show up. One of them on a less than typical ride...
    [​IMG]

This is George's (from Riverside, Ca.) Screemin Eagle 1550cc adventure bike with a fresh set of knobbies for the run to Dawson City and then on to Inuvik!
    [​IMG]

We also had MassHole show up for the ride (far left in picture) after a 7000 mile journey from the Carolinas.
    [​IMG]

This was turning out to be quite the gathering!

More later...
  5. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Great Pics....keep em coming. Reminds me of the stuff up in Keno. Anyone who has a chance to get out the back door from Dawson City to Whitehorse next year.....this is a MUST see.

A couple of pics from the D2D......sorry....I've been "slackin":D
    Mclaren River on the Denali
    [​IMG]
    Tannana River Bridge outside of Tok
    [​IMG]
  6. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Remember the "magic light" on the Dalton? How about that run back from Atigan pass to Weisman? That's what it's all about baby! What a gloriously lit race track!!!!:clap

[​IMG]

Was punctuated by mucho dust on the way up. Should have seen my air filter after this years run! :puke1
    [​IMG]
  7. helikron

helikron The Fixer

Oddometer:
    great pics, Katoomer! That magic light is pretty special, and moreso for the Brooks Range.

got more pics?

:lurk
  8. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Whose dust was it????? :wink:
  9. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it? Supporter

Oddometer:
    My guess:
    The HH. :evil
    :wave
  10. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    Hey Katoomer, that bike doesnt seem as shiny as the last time I saw it in Anchorage. Looks great and happy to see all is well and you are out enjoying it!
  11. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    well I was in Talkeetna today trying to find my land I bought. Me and the three wheeler got most of the way in but ran out of time so as I was leaving downtown Talkeetna what did I see well it's harley Geroge well his bike anyway he must have been around but didn't see him just his bike.
    [​IMG]
  12. friar mike

Oddometer:
    well it was a fun ride on the old three wheeler just like old time's it my not look like the wheeler will fit but it did. here's what the clear creek tail looks like.this is wiggle creek not clear creek.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  13. MooseKiller

MooseKiller Tripod

Oddometer:
    Now THAT'S a cool pic...

[​IMG]
  14. TRACTOR RIDER

Oddometer:
    Well did you find what you were looking for????????????

15. friar mike

Oddometer:
    Not yet. it's still out there waiting to be found.
  16. TRACTOR RIDER

Oddometer:
    We can search for the graille from space:norton . I have a ground finder (gps).

17. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Well it is so nice you should just leave it out!:rofl
  18. TRACTOR RIDER

Oddometer:
    A man that is missing something, is a man on a Quest to FIND what is LOST.

19. Smith898

Smith898 Dancin Man

Oddometer:
    :cry It was nice meating all you guys at D2D definatelly a memorable event for one of my last months in the state.
    A few Family issues in the sunshine state have forced my hand to move back - Damn it's expensive to ship stuff from here!!:eek1 . Still waiting on a quote on the bike but the truck is killing me.

I finnaly found out what was wrong with the carb on the KLR. The chock plunger was sticking so i do not need a rebuild,:clap :clap :clap It should be back on the road here in a few.

I can not say that i will mess putting the bike up for 8 months at a time, but i will mis the riding up here, and the fellolwship recived as well. I guess that means next year i just have to plan a cross country trip.

All is good!! I will be heading out on the 19 on the great 2:10 A.M. Alaska airline fight ! WOOO HOOO!

Thanks Dawson Dick for all your hospitality.
  20. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Come on back anytime, Smithy. The D2D would be a perfect target for a long ride next year and after a year or so in FLA you'll be ready for it too. We'll keep the twisties warm for you... hammer a few straighties for us in FLA :lol3