2006 GS replaced Final Drive with updated unit. Now no speedo and a failure light.

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by wswartzwel, Jul 16, 2013.

1. wswartzwel

wswartzwel Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer:
    I just replaced the final drive on my 2006 R1200GS. The unit the Dealer sold me is the new updated one that comes with the steel hub flange. Install went fine, plugged the Sensor under the tool tray... went for test ride... No Speedometer and I have a brake failure light on the dash, and weak rear brakes. I can't use my old sensor because the hole in the final drive where the sensor fits, is larger in diameter on this new one.

Anyone experienced this?

Thanks,
    Bill Swartzwelder
  2. U2U

U2U Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't have a certain answer but if you search the board I am very sure it is here on several posts. My recollection is there was a change in the sensor design and/or interface to the associated computer. This may not be headed in a good direction. Steel flange good, rest of updated drive, not so much. Best of luck.
  3. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    The FD was changed around 2008. Pre-08 and Post-08 use different speed sensor, also the sensor connector is slightly different.
    It's not possible to plug in a post-08 sensor to a pre-08 bike. The connector look similar but will not click together.

What's very confusing is that you say your new FD has the larger diameter speed sensor, that makes it post-08. But you also say you connected the new sensor to your bike without a problem. That's not really possible.
    Unless someone hacked the old style connector to a new style sensor.

Bottom line is, the post-08 sensor does not work in a pre-08 bike.

Mikko
  4. wswartzwel

Oddometer:
    the connector didn't look right. perhaps it isn't actually plugged all the way. My old plug was white, and this new one is black.. the little tabs inside the new one are in different locations. So... what is the solution? will my old sensor work in this new final drive?
  5. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's a link to photos of the two different speed sensor connectors.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=2A3A3F4609DB3988!348&authkey=!ABq9U1BttAi0d8o

It's my understanding as well that the updated 08+ FD doesn't work (ABS connector) and brain signals with the 06 version.

Search...there are threads providing even more info.

Good luck.

Might want to have a little chat with the dealer about compatibility of the FD they SOLD you.:huh
    I'd bet that it's going to have to be removed and the proper one installed.
  6. wswartzwel

Oddometer:
    They didn't install it they sold it to me....
  7. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 2 cents is...they SOLD you the WRONG FD.
  8. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, it's the 08+ version. It simply will not work in in pre-08 bike.

- The connector is mechanically different (you figured this out already)
    - The signal is different, the pre-08 computer is not able the read the signal from post-08 sensor.
    - There is different number of "ticks" per revolution in the post-08 FD. Even if the two first issues were not there (and they are), it still wouldn't work.

For more info look here:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711453&page=12

Mikko
  9. wswartzwel

Oddometer:
    Thanks... I sent an email to the dealer.. will call him in the morning to see how he plans to fix the issue.

I bought the bike from him a month and a half ago... discovered the loose rear end, and the bad u joint. He offered me a good discount on the parts...
    But I was supposed to leave for CO. Tuesday. Not sure how they ordered the wrong drive, he had my VIN.
  10. mini151

mini151 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Experienced the same thing when my 06 GSA FD crapped out. Your dealer sold you the wrong FD. I ended up with the upgraded FD and the correct sensor in the end.
    Good Luck.
  11. koenig

koenig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear you have fallen foul of BMW's updates. In 2006 BMW changed from series one to series two ABS and this resulted in a change in the segment separation in the final drive. What does this mean? They are not interchangeable. If you have a later model, say 2007 onwards, you can use the updated rear drive complete with vent and different brake disc spider. Everything else on your old drive is the same, that is bearings and seals. Maybe they can rebuild your old drive. As an aside the series one ABS servo is heaps dearer to replace than the series two. Probably doesn't help you much but may help someone else.:eek1
  12. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    I just had the FD replaced on my '05 GS a few weeks ago. There's actually only a handful of new pre-08 FD's available in the US at the moment.

Can't believe your dealer didn't realize this would be an issue.
  13. wswartzwel

Oddometer:
    33118521838. is the part number he sold me

he said it was the last on in the states
  14. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
  15. wswartzwel

Oddometer:
    Yes.

SO...... The final drive was wrong. Manufacture made a midyear change, No way to make it work on my bike. Dealer made a mistake... I did a search and found there is a shortage of the right part.. None in the US and one in Germany.
    I conceded that my trip next week was not going to happen. Been a bit depressed last night and this morning.
    Got a call from a friend to use his bike.. but I declined, it just wouldn't be the same. Dealer called me this morning. He is going to pull the final off one of his bikes in inventory for me to use for the trip, while we are waiting for a new unit from Germany. This has been an emotional rollercoater.
  16. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mistake being made, that's still pretty good service. Safe travels. :clap
  17. JM

JM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does that mean your trip is back on?

It sounds like the dealer is stepping up trying to fix the problem by pulling the FD off the bike in inventory. Good for them after a bad for them for selling you the wrong one.
  18. wswartzwel

Oddometer:
    Yes:clap Wife and I have been planning this for over a year... bought the bike just for the trip. I go to TOR every year. Used to take my R1100S, then when My son got older took my KTM and he took his KLX250. This is going to be her first time to go to this rally. So I was quite depressed last night, but feeling better since my dealer is doing all he can to solve this issue.
  19. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    that is a good recovery on the dealer Bill, I hope it all works out, have fun.
  20. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    Not to mention what a blast for your wallet. I feel your pain and sympathize. Glad you are able to salvage your planned trip.

There is some really expensive crap that can happen to these bikes.

I plan to see if I can have my trashed FD rebuilt to have as a spare. (when my motorcycle fund recovers from this last one).