2006 Silverado Sidestep Install Mission Creep - iffy cab mount bolts, cab mount failing. all fixed!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by noman, Oct 13, 2019.

1. noman

noman Long timer

Oddometer:
    i wanted to install side steps my 06 silverado 4x4 that are attached to the cab mounts, i think they're a little sturdier than the rocker panel mounted ones. especially on my truck, with 156K miles on vt roads that are salted ( the rocker panels don't look so good ). so i found a set of steps by Aries that had brackets that looked pretty stout. got 'em for under $300 on ebay.
    https://www.ariesautomotive.com/part/4445006 ( there's an additional strut not shown that adds resistance to bending )

on dis-assembly i found a few problems:
    the lower rubber bushings were shot, they were replaced with polythane bushings.

the driver's side cab mount was rusty and starting to fail so i reinforced it with a mongo washer i ordered. 2 inch i.d. x 4 inch o.d. x 1/8inch thick. when the cab bolts on that side were out, i jacked up the cab a few inches, removed the upper rubber mount and installed the washer on top of the existing/rusty mount. upper bushing back in, lowered the cab back down, all set. the washer's size distributed the load nicely i believe.

the cab bolts were rusty and necked down as shown, so they were replaced.

phew! all done.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    above pic shows gm bolt # and washer.
    spokester likes this.
  2. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just looked at an 08 Chevy ,yesterday, that the guy brought in to have the bed mounts replaced due to rust. When the bed was removed it revealed that the frame where the 2 front mounts were attached was totally rusted away along with a lot of other serious rust issues. From outward appearances this truck was a beauty and only has 60,000 miles on it. Its criminal.
    spokester likes this.
  3. noman

noman Long timer

Oddometer:
    i was responsible for spec'ing out and getting a footbridge installed over snowshed pond at killington ski resort, in about 1996 or so. an easy choice for me was specifying "weathering steel" rather than painted structural steel, as i felt the paint would fail early due to the location over water. also, media blasting and collection of the material over water would be a pain in the ass. i allocated the extra $30K for the steel upgrade and the bridge is still there with no painting req'd, perfect.

why won't auto manufacturer's spec this steel for vehicle frames? the bastids.