2006 Vulcan Nomad - Cranks over with no fuel, no spark

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tntmo, Jul 28, 2019.

1. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    I guess you could see if someone will swap ECU's with you to see if that is the problem. We have a huge boneyard around here. www.sportwheel.com
    KevinP65 and tntmo like this.
  2. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:
    I’m thinking about that. I don’t know if someone would be willing to do such a thing. I think I might be wary if someone I didn’t know wanted to troubleshoot their bike with my parts.
  3. dtysdalx2

Oddometer:
  4. tntmo

Oddometer:

Pretty good stuff, thanks. The ECU needs at least 6 VDC, which it does get from the battery. Which doesn't start it. Applying the booster jumps the voltage at the ECU up to about 8-9 VDC and it starts. Then shutting off the booster, killing the bike and restarting the bike with only the battery does work....with 6 VDC at the ECU. Confuses me!

I would buy that ECU right now, but I'm just concerned that it would be $150 and nothing changes.

Shopping for resistors today, going to make a jumper plug out of the other ignition I have. Or maybe I will try to pick it and remove the tumlers....either way I will have a bit less resistance in that one to see if it changes anything.
  5. dtysdalx2

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you could try a potentiometer 10 turn 100 ohm too. Or 1000 ohm which may be hard to find. Cheaper to use resistors in series or parallel. Not even sure Radio Shack sells them any more. Or take them off an old circuit board.
    tntmo likes this.
  6. tntmo

Oddometer:
    I soldered in a 75 ohm resistor, it only brought the voltage up to 6.5 and didn't start the bike. I didn't have many other choices for resistors, so I wired three 20 ohm resistors together for 60 ohms total, brought the ECU voltage up to 7.5 or so, no change.

I picked up a can of electrical contact cleaner, sprayed out the connections on the ECU and looked for any obvious damage on the pins and connectors but none obvious.
  7. dtysdalx2

Oddometer:
    Dang, gotta give ya credit for trying! :lol3

Wonder if the ECU uses current instead of voltage. Didja pull a spark plug to make sure it is or isn't firing? Could be a FI problem. Injectors may be cut off too.

Hopefully you will find a solid answer for the problem. Instead of one day it magically starts to work. :lurk
    tntmo likes this.
  8. KevinP65

KevinP65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was wondering what needs current instead of volatage, too. Could there be a capacitor? that can only supply enough juice for one extra shot. The engine probably starts much easier when warmed up.
    tntmo likes this.
  9. tntmo

Oddometer:
    Looking on the wiring diagram there’s not one showing. Could be in the ECU. I have left it sitting with the key on for 15 minutes after initial start in the booster and it starts on battery at that time , I would think a capacitor would drain in that time?
    KevinP65 likes this.
  10. dtysdalx2

Oddometer:
    Wonder how this situation would play out at a local dealer?

And long it would take and how much it would cost. :D
    tntmo likes this.
  11. tntmo

Oddometer:
    Right?! I thought about that, but it’s hard to find a really good dealer mechanic. Plenty of them are ok, but mainly just parts changers.
  12. dtysdalx2

Oddometer:
    tntmo likes this.
  13. tntmo

Oddometer:
    Wow, I used to got to that place back when I was a kid! I grew up in MN, (small farm outside Milroy, which is a fly speck of a town) and I fixed up my first street bike (74 Honda CL360 that I extracted from an abandoned building) with parts from that place. Cool that it's still going. The boneyard, not the bike. But the bike is still on the farm.
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  14. tntmo

Oddometer:
  15. dtysdalx2

Oddometer:
    Small world. I ride alot around the New Ulm and Mankato area. Really nice. SW is 15 miles from me, been there many times.
    tntmo likes this.
  16. tntmo

Oddometer:
    I keep thinking that maybe there is a wire or connection that has corrosion or resistance in it that is causing this issue, but it doesn't explain why it would start on the booster and then start again and again on just the battery after the initial start until the key is cycled. There must be some circuitry in the ECU or something.....I haven't found anything else in the wiring diagram that it could be.
  17. dtysdalx2

Oddometer:
    Ohm out the ignition switch wires for a possible resistance? Over and over and cycle switch...

Watch ohms...

Try another ignition switch assembly...
    tntmo likes this.
  18. tntmo

Oddometer:
    I have another ignition switch, but didn't have a key for it. I picked it and gutted it. That's the one I tried the resistor mods on.
  19. dtysdalx2

Oddometer:
    Maybe that motorcycle just isn't for you. :lol3

I usually go to the specific forums and there is usually is one expert that gives good advice.

Greywolf (RIP Pat) on the Stromtroopers forum and Mike Schmidt on the SV1000 forums I used to hang out at. These guys were wizards. We could solve ANY problem.
    tntmo likes this.
  20. tntmo

Oddometer:
    I’m on two Vulcan forums, getting a bit of help everywhere but still not quite there. I don’t like to give up!