2006 Vulcan Nomad - Cranks over with no fuel, no spark

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tntmo, Jul 28, 2019.

1. KevinP65

KevinP65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This doesn't solve anything but was this picked up as a non-runner? Did previous owner mess with it or have a shop work on it? Since you can get it going and use the kill switch for on/off with restart, have you ridden it around some? Just curious.
    tntmo likes this.
  2. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:
    The guy I got it from said he bought it at an auction, not running and didn’t know a lot about motorcycle mechanics. The fuel pump wasn’t priming, so his son changed that. The fuel pump relay was bad, I changed it.

I have ridden it, everything works fine. Solid bike except for this starting issue.
  3. KevinP65

Oddometer:
    Should be worth the effort then. I really liked my 05 Nad.
    tntmo likes this.
  4. tntmo

Oddometer:
    It can’t be something major, it’s just odd. I can buy an entire wiring harness for $50, might get it!
    KevinP65 likes this.
  5. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Sucks to be you. :jack

J/K. Just like to know the answer to this riddle.
    KevinP65 and tntmo like this.
  6. tntmo

Oddometer:
    Sometimes it does suck to be me!

I was reading out wiring to the ECU today, getting some higher than expected resistance through the ground wires. Now I just need to figure out why.
  7. dtysdalx2

Oddometer:
    Looks like they use rocks in the ECU potting compound.

[​IMG]

I've heard of people using acetone to dissolve it and reverse engineer them.
    tntmo likes this.
  8. tntmo

Oddometer:
    That’s exactly what mine looks like. I don’t know about trying that, maybe if I broke down in Mongolia or something. Or if I end up ordering a replacement and it fixed the problem...
  9. tntmo

Oddometer:
    Over the last several days I have been doing wire checks to ensure power and ground is where it is supposed to be. Even though the fuel pump relay was obviously working (can hear the pump prime when you turn on the key) I got some advice to check power to that after hitting the start button. Well after pressing the start button there was voltage on the supply side but not on the output side....which supplies power to the ignition etc.

I pushed the pins out of the connector, reinstalled the relay to complete the power side of it and fashioned a jumper for the other side. Turn on the key, install the jumper, fuel pump primes, press the start button and Bob's yer uncle! She started! Off the battery alone. I cycled the key off and on, she started again. Now, perhaps the alternate relay I got is bad or isn't a good alternate (OEM Kawasaki relay will be ordered) or there is resistance in the wiring or something else, but we are getting closer to a solution.

Thanks for hanging in there. I will let y'all know what the answer is soon.
  10. PaulTim2000

PaulTim2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Progress at last.
    Been following this in the same way you just can't help looking at a crash as you go by. Good on you for persevering.
  11. KevinP65

Oddometer:
    Can you share who or where this advice came from? I missed that you did not get an OEM relay. How/where did you get the replacement relay?
    tntmo likes this.
  12. tntmo

Oddometer:
    I have posted here and on two different Vulcan Forums. Although advice was slow, it did start ramping up.
    When I realized I needed the relay I looked up the part #, I then put it into google and all these relays that looked exactly the same for 1/4 the price popped up. Well, I am a cheap ass so guess what I ordered!
    dtysdalx2 and KevinP65 like this.
  13. KevinP65

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That was some pretty smart trouble shooting advice and I would never have thought of it but is sure makes sense. I am not sure if I understand your proof but I think I do. This has really been a good thread. Thanks for your responses, btw.
    tntmo likes this.
  14. dtysdalx2

Oddometer:
    So the cheap relay has a huge voltage drop and that makes it not want to fire? I don't see the FP relay on the schematic. :scratch

I got a Autozone FP relay for my Jeep and I think it works better than the recall OMRON realy by far.
    tntmo likes this.
  15. tntmo

Oddometer:
    It’s called the DFI relay on the schematic. I don’t know for sure if it’s the relay or the wiring. I’m tired of reading wires so ordered up the proper relay, if it fails to repair it then I am back to wiring. :rofl
    At least I have direction to go now.
  16. dtysdalx2

Oddometer:
  17. tntmo

Oddometer:
    I probably didn’t explain it well. I left the input circuit side alone (the poles on the relay that energized the electromagnet) so the electric current still completed the circuit .

I removed the output wires from the plug that power the output circuit. This way I could ensure that they stay connected. I’m thinking this relay requires more amperage to run the input side than the bike wiring regularly puts out, or there’s a current draw somewhere.

OEM relay is in route!
    KevinP65 likes this.
  18. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still...thinking wires
    tntmo likes this.
  19. tntmo

Oddometer:
    Very good chance that it could be. Will know soon.
  20. dtysdalx2

Oddometer: