2006 Yamaha R6 Supermono Conversion?

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Skowinski, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    This is probably a long shot, and not sure this is the best place for this question, but - there is a 2006 Yamaha R6 complete roller, minus engine, for sale locally, cheap. I thought that at some point I'd read about someone putting a YZF450 single motocross engine in one of these to make a supermono racer. I'm finding nothing searching the internet though. Anyone know of this, or a similar project bike, using this R6 as a start? :ear
  2. tattewell

tattewell Mad Poser

Oddometer:
    While there are probably a tonne of goodies on that chassis that may be worth the investment, I would think it too heavy for a supermono?
  3. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    R6 motors are around all day long for $500. If the chassis is cheap enough, why not throw a motor in there and have yourself a sweet supersport?

I agree about the supermono/weight comment. You'd probably lose 75lbs as a guess but be half the horsepower.
  4. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    The thought did occur to me that it might be too heavy.
  5. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    I've had the same kind of idea but I always considered a Ninja 250 frame as the better starting point...
  6. Skowinski

Oddometer:
    Well, the ideal starting point is an old TZ250 Yamaha roller, or one of the Canadian spec 250 2-stroke street bikes with the Al-beam frames. But, those are hard to find, at least cheap.