1. AVOID SCAMMERS!
      (1) Do not transact without protections in place! Different payment options may limit your payment protection
      (2) Use a payment service like PayPal WITH (!) purchase protection.
      (3) Terms like 'Friends and Family' are a warning that NO payment protection exists.
      (4) Avoid transactions with new members with no history and "family or friend of friend" offers.
      (5) If you do not understand the payment method you're being asked to use; stop and do not proceed until you do
      (6) If you receive a suspicious private message, click the "report" link and let us know!
    LISTINGS MUST INCLUDE: Price, Location, Product Description(s) and NO Links to CL or EBAY or your post will not be allowed. Read the rules!

Sold 2007 DR-Z400SM, $2700, Los Angeles, CA

Discussion in 'Bikes' started by wotevah, Sep 5, 2021.

1. wotevah

wotevah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PLEASE NOTE: must tow out - bike was running when I parked it years ago but has been sitting in garage too long, there is 5+yr old gas in tank so carb needs cleaning; battery died long ago. Location: near 101 & 134.
    12,xxx miles on odo mostly commuting, but also a couple DV rides back in '07-'08.

I am parting with my 400SM because I have realized that towing it to the dealer every few years to clean the carb, throw away the gas and change the oil, ride for a hundred miles and then repeat next year, which is most I've been doing since about 8 years ago, is not worth it and the bike deserves a better home.

This is the supermoto version of the DR-Z400, so it comes with 17" wheels front and back and inverted shocks. It's a great bike to commute and throw around town.

Not interested in trades.

The good:
    - Bike is mostly stock
    - This is a genuine 400SM so has the inverted shocks, unlike the 400S or E
    - Corbin seat (plus original seat)
    - 3.8Gal Acerbis gas tank vented into charcoal canister (plus original steel tank)
    - Yamaha manual petcock because original vacuum petcock leaked
    - aluminum skidplate (plus the original parts), steel tail rack (installed) and side guards (not installed)
    - gearbox and stator covers (magnesium or aluminum, don't recall)
    - stator loctite fix done long ago
    - 44T rear sprocket, DID chain installed at 11500 little before bike began its long rest
    - K&N air filter with cleaning kit, LED taillight, 12V cig plug, wired for battery tender, some silicone hoses, steel mesh oil filter (new-in-box, not installed), Clymer Service Manual
    - bike is mostly stock otherwise, very clean and has been garaged underground

The bad
    - gas has degraded in the tank in the 5+ years it's been sitting. the petcock was closed but I don't remember if I ran the motor until dry last time or not, so plan to clean the carb and change all the fluids before starting.
    - battery died long ago, I had a Shorai but that one died too
    - tires are Pirelli MT60R which look great and have only 500 miles on them but were installed in 2011; bike has always been garaged but I assume the tires (and the inner hd tubes) are probably not good for street any more.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    cmbthumper, local1, jimroid and 2 others like this.
  2. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    If that was on my side of the world, it would be in my garage already! Hint for the buyer; Kawi sold a copy of the S model as the KLX400S for a few years. The SM shares a lot of parts with the S model. The same repair parts cost less from Kawi than Suzuki! And Kawi goes more granular; you can buy a diaphragm for the petcock where Suzuki makes you buy the whole thing.
    SilentRay, Hugh B and wotevah like this.
  3. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    Have you been paying the registration annually or has it lapsed? Or did you go non-op on the registration?

I remember this from my days in CA. Back-registration fees can be brutal.
    cmbthumper and Grynch like this.
  4. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ditto
  5. fletcherguitar

fletcherguitar Marilyn Across America

Oddometer:
    Some body is getting a nice bike. Carb cleaning is a fairly easy deal with the drz.
  6. wotevah

wotevah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No back fees owed to DMV, registration was paid annually until maybe 2017 when I switched it to PNO (planned non operation) which does not cost money to maintain.
    cmbthumper likes this.
  7. wotevah

wotevah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the delays in responding to pms, bike is still available and will get back to everyone who messaged me
    cmbthumper likes this.
  8. Slornu

Slornu n00b

Oddometer:
    I’m down the road in SanDiego and retired…so at your convienience when can you show it and do you accept cash?
  9. ItsmeB

ItsmeB n00b

Oddometer:
    please message me if it’s still available! Thank you
  10. brain_damaged

brain_damaged doing my best

Oddometer:
    Hello from San Diego.
    Can you message me? Im a lurker turned new user and I cant start a PM yet.
  11. kevinA

kevinA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My offer is still good for a while. 20 min away.
  12. wotevah

wotevah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sale pending, will update back and reply if the status changes.
    cmbthumper likes this.
  13. wotevah

wotevah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sold!
    sonranto and cmbthumper like this.