2007 Sheetiron 300 Dualsport,May 19-20

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by skwidd, Mar 26, 2007.

1. MightyZeus

MightyZeus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Mighty Zeus: Girl can ride!! - fast too!!! Especially when cold! I can still hear that 250 going WFO on Hwy 1. Thanks for the excellent pics!"

- aww shucks, I try. Only wish I could figure out a sure-fire way of seperating my dirt skills in the dirt and street skills on the (err) street.

On the ride I made an analogy in my head about mixing up street/dirt skills and how it's okay.

It goes a little something like this:

riding like you're on the street while in the dirt, but
    still (more or less) keeping up with the group, is like wearing your underwear on the outside of your pants; it's not quite right but it still works.

:kat

. . . you can see where my head was.

Lol, I had a GREAT time. I'm still generating dirt boogers. I could hardly get out of bed this morning and woke up around 6:30am just to give myself THREE hours to pull my head out of the forests of Mendicino.

. . . felt like I just got done doing the IronMan or some sh*t.

Indeed, thanks to sf_motogrrl for the sandos in Laytonville and arranging the motel rooms not to mention arranging the mondo-table reservation @ the NorthCoast Brewery.

I met a lot of wonderful people this year and hope we all keep in touch.
  2. ixab

ixab just Aaron, really Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all you ADV folks for helping this n00b have a great time. Too bad there weren't more hard splits on Sunday. The WFO off-camber loose gravel is fun and all, but the single track or jeep trail is where it's at. That ride was the most fun I've ever had on a motorcycle, street, dirt, or track.:clap:wings
  3. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dust, did someone mention dust:eek1

Attached Files:

4. NorCalslowpoke

NorCalslowpoke Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ixab: Sorry we missed eachother sat morning. I parked my truck near the entrance and was hurrying trying to get my shit together to not hold up Cap Ron & Jason from leaving and I left my cell phone in the truck. I hate being the guy that riders are waiting for. In Fort Bragg I left your name and a room key at the front desk of the Tradewinds in case you showed up. I hope you did not have to sleep on the beach...hope you are not pissed at me, I feel pretty bad about it. Glad you had fun, we did too!

Thanks to Cap Ron & Jason (see photo) for letting me ride with them, offering chorizo & eggs, beers etc, hope I did not hold em up too much with my "risk averse/low skill" riding style. Sorry to lead you off that drop off on the hard split sat am...at least we made it.... Nice meeting/riding with Bruce on the cool DR.

Nice running into Rdubb, Jean Luc and the 950 posse at N Coast Brewery...hope the greasy fish & chips made it through the digestive system ok....Thanks for sharing the pitcher. Rdubb: hope the Guzzi V7 Sport transaction and ride goes well, let me know if you need any carb's other Tonti frame shit.

Sorry to the pair on the large BMW's that I may have blanketed with mud when ripping through a mud puddle coming out of Fort Bragg. It was either gas it, or brake/slow/crash....I chose to gas it, as would you...

Any mishap "adventure" stories? breakdowns, crashes? post em up.

Thanks to the OMC for a well organized, appropriately regulated (ie not too much) ride. Jersey sizes/sleeves are too small for an XL, need larger size next time..can I exhange for a xxl? Anyone want to buy a couple XL's, cheap?

Great times, 3rd weekend in May blocked out in 2008...

Cheers
  5. NorCalslowpoke

Oddometer:
    One more photo of a slow guy post ride
  6. ixab

Oddometer:
    Hey, Scott - no worries about the room. I figured either your phone was broken, or you were still trying to find your way out of the SteamDonkey trail! I had made a reservation for a solo room, and it turned out they still had the room, so I just took that. I called the hotel and gave them my name, and they claimed they didn't have a message, bastids! In hind sight I could have left a message at your room, but it all worked out. Glad you had a good ride, maybe next time we'll hook up.

Btw - sorry I haven't returned your voicemail. I had a bunch of crap to do for a track day monday, and then crashed, so I've been a bit distracted. Lame excuse, I should have called back, so thanks for your concern.
  7. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here

Oddometer:
    We got there late on Friday nite, rode around and couldnt figure out where the camp was in the dark.
    Bloody great riding on Saturday on the hard section. Tip top bar on Saturday night was interesting, great place to get into a fight...

Attached Files:

8. wheatwhacker

Oddometer:
    My DRZ taking in the view

Attached Files:

9. wheatwhacker

Oddometer:
    Action shot of me on the last stretch on Sunday

Attached Files:

10. Seth101

Seth101 n00b-ish

Oddometer:
    Awesome time. Felt a little heavy and low to the ground amongst all 'yall with dirt bikes, but the 650 made about half of the hard splits. Learned a lot about my dirt/gravel/mud skillz.

Thank you Paige for getting a couple extra rooms. wish I had not been so exhausted on Saturday night from muscling 400+ lbs of GS to places where a GS is not most comfortable and had been able to meet some of you.

Proof I was there? DAMN BIG ROCK ON THE STEEP LOOSE DOWNHILL.

[​IMG]
  11. MightyZeus

MightyZeus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow, seth101 - i was wondering how the BMW 650 would handle on the harder splits. the two fitty was heavy enough for me (although i wouldn't have minded more hp).

you guys were next to us at super 8 right? i think so. i think i got your friend to wipe down the mighty zeus seat with a motel towell. lol ... i had a great time and my butt's finally not so sore any mo'.

this is a good thing.

:ricky
  12. 8Superman

8Superman Shut up and RIDE!!

Oddometer:
    Whoops!
  13. skidmark43

skidmark43 Does this look infected?

Oddometer:
    I was so excited when I saw you on the forest road! Especially with those slipsters.
    The Eli looks good; hope to see you on the trails again.
    Mark
  14. NorCalslowpoke

Oddometer:
    Front page photo, maybe? Great shot How is the wrist?
  15. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    All that pic needs is a long rifle with scope in your hands. Big game hunting for sure.
  16. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    Yeah, my pachyderm was wearin' magic slippers alright - it didn't miss one dance step the whole 50 miles. :sweeti

Can't really say that about its mahout, but hey, it all worked out. :D Gonna get the beast some hikin' shoes for the next one.

Ya'll got any rides up in Canukistan this summer?:ricky
  17. skwidd

skwidd where does this lead?

Oddometer:
  18. ixab

Oddometer:
    Hi kids -

I built a flickr group for sharing sheetiron photos. If anyone wants to add their photos, feel free. If you are not a flickr member (or don't have a yahoo account), you can let me know. I'll put them up from my account, and give you (or the photog) credit if you want. The easiest way to relay photos to me would be to zip them and send via email. PM me and I'll give you my addy.

Cheers ~ (a)
  19. Seth101

Seth101 n00b-ish

Oddometer:
    Woke up Sunday AM and I thought I was going to have to cut off my right hand to be able to ride. And the knee was really mad at me. Turns out all I needed to do was ride for 30 miles of dirt to forget about my wrist and knee. All was well once we got going (funny how a great ride can make you forget you hurt...) That soft, sticky Mendocino dirt was some of the most wonderful stuff I have rolled across in some time.
  20. Seth101

Seth101 n00b-ish

Oddometer:
    What the hell did he think he was doing out there riding that Goldwing/Anchor?

:D

Thanks.