2008 Az Bike Week Charity Dual Sport Ride

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by phxman, Dec 19, 2007.

1. phxman

phxman "Rocks are my Friends"

Oddometer:
    Hey all, grab your 2008 calendars and reserve Sunday March 30th, 2008 for the 2nd Annual Arizona Bike Week Charity Dual Sport Ride. The response to our 2007 inaugural event was fantastic and for 2008 we have another fun event that we feel will satisfy everyone without making anyone work too hard.

The Start and Finish of the 2008 event will be the Wild Horse Resturant located at Lake Pleasant Road and Highway 74. The final route is still being mapped but expect approximately 120 mile loop of prime dual sport riding through the foothills of the Bradshaw Mountains with a stop in Wickenburg for lunch which is provided.

Overall the route is mostly jeep roads (maintained and un-maintained), with stretch's of gravely sand wash. The only pavement is at the start and as you get close to Wickenburg. On the way to Wickenburg there is a split where those looking for a bit more can ride the "Hero" loop and experience rockier rocks, hillerier hills, and sandier sand while paying their respects to the mountain range's namesake, Isaac Bradshaw.

The ride is AMA sanctioned but you do not need to be an AMA member to participate. The only requirements are a street legal motorcycle with the ability to go 70 miles between gas stops, and a rider with a good attitude. Although, a route sheet holder and gps wouldn't hurt.

All the registration info will be coming soon. Let me know if there are quetsions.

Thanks,
  2. Cornbread Red

Cornbread Red Fart's dust

Oddometer:
    Same old stuff.. But a little early, dont'cha think?
    But hey, while you're at it, how about naming which charity the money goes this time?

Chip
  3. phxman

Oddometer:
    Oh man, a tough guy already :wink: . C'mon Chip it's never to early to plan, these things don't grow on tree's ya know. :freaky

As to the charity, well if I had my way it would go to the Arizona Off Highway Vehicle Coalition. We'll see, but whatever the cause I will post it here.
  4. amir_zwara

amir_zwara Versys

Oddometer:
    keep us updated on this! i havent ridden out in the Bradshaws, but would love to.
  5. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don- I had a great time last year and I'm looking forward to the 2nd installment. My best memory was being amidst a gaggle of high-priced dualys with top-shit crash gear and roll charts (me with my jeans, road helmet, and gps). The entire crew made a wrong turn less than 10 minutes into the dirt and ended up in some farmer's driveway. Apparently he was pissed. When we backtracked, I was the only one who made the correct left while the entire herd missed the turn a 2nd time. :bert

Needless to say, I was the first bike that rolled into the lunch break. I can only imagine how many missed turns followed that initial one, but it made me chuckle. Technology prevailed that time, and I had a nice, quiet, peaceful morning of solo riding.

Looking forward to the hero loops, which I skipped last year like a wuss.

Some pics from last year-
    Something like 90 bikes participated? Mike955i, is that you on the left??
    [​IMG]

Changing a flat... not mine (foreground).
    [​IMG]

That's where I met these 2 jokers...
    [​IMG]
  6. Codewheeney

Codewheeney Hoopy Frood Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the calendar, really want to make it this year.

JC
  7. phxman

Oddometer:
    Ok folks, Online Registration is open. Click on the link below for complete details of the ride and how to get registered. After you are registered your GPS tracklogs and updated event information will be sent to you via email.

BIG THANKS to North Valley Honda Kawasaki for sponsoring this event for the second year in a row. If you need parts or accesories for the ride stop by and see these guys, they will take care of you.

There is a 150 participant limit and you must register online by Friday March 21st, 2008 to reserve your spot.

http://www.azbikeweek.com/2008gtr.htm# *Once the page opens select SUN 3-30
  8. Cornbread Red

Oddometer:
    "All proceeds from this event will be donated to the Arizona Off Highway Vehicle Coalition, a 501-3C non-profit organization dedicated to preserving OHV recreation in Arizona. "

Well okay then. At least the money isn't going to the Sierra Club. Good of them to post the recipient.

Have fun!
    Chip
  9. phxman

Oddometer:
    lol....We have not met yet Chip but there is one thing I can guarantee you. If I'm involved in an event, the proceeds are NOT going to an organization which even remotely resembles the Sierra Club.
  10. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    Recon pictures for this year's ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Mike955i

Mike955i Future Escapee

Oddometer:
    Not me, but I'm definitly planning on attending this years ride. BTW, you missed an epic ride in the snow yesterday. 5 started, only 2 made it back over the mountain. Will post a mini report w/pics later. Looking forward to Baja and this ride in March.
  12. phxman

Oddometer:
    Just a reminder to folks who are registering for this ride that your GPS tracklogs and other ride information will be sent via email around the 1st of March. We are finishing up the main route and adding a Hero section so still a little work to do.

Fyi, for those thinking of riding the Hero sections we are doing something a little different this year. The Hero sections are only being GPS'ed and ribboned, they are not on the Rollchart. Only the main route is on the Rollchart, well except for where the Hero sections start.

Thanks to all who have already registered. :D
  13. DOD

DOD rider #5

Oddometer:
    I'm in.

Sounds like too much fun to miss.

-dod
  14. elguapo

elguapo D.F.F.D.

Oddometer:
    im in.
  15. KTMSER

KTMSER Big bike friendly

Oddometer:

I could see your concern if you were an actual participant in this ride or any other ride in AZ besides a meet & eat.

You comment on every thread that has to do with AZ!...STFU..:deal

Its time to sack up, vacuum up the dust and participate!

Oh and the excuse your dirt bike or dual sport is broke is not going to work you have had two years that I know of to fix it.....

Thanks for clarifing that for us.....All knowing one....

:lurk

16. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm

Oddometer:
    I have not been to this area riding yet but it sounds like a great time. I am putting this on my calendar. :clap
  17. Cornbread Red

Oddometer:
    Who shit in your chile this afternoon? I had a valid question, it got answered, enough said.

Chip
  18. Nuclieye

Nuclieye Custom Fit is my choice!

Oddometer:
    Two more KLR's may come to this. Need the route though? We know the Brad's like most guys know there backyard.
  19. phxman

Oddometer:
    Main route: Start Wild Horse then, CHS to Cow Creek to Walker Gulch to Buckhorn Wash to Constellation Rd to Wickenburg. Coming back; Constellation Rd then South over what I call Stage Coach Rd to CHS then back to Wild Horse.

Hero Sections are a little more complicated.....
  20. Nuclieye

Nuclieye Custom Fit is my choice!

Oddometer:
    Thanks... Went to the sign up page and saw the map. Buddy and I just rode that loop 2 weeks ago in just under 2 hours then back to Wickenburg for a late lunch at Anita's. Good grub, where is dinner on the trip? BTW there is quite a bit of sugar sand on the Buckhorn wash leg.