2008 F650/800gs abs removal

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by kito, Jul 7, 2020.

1. kito

kito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    has anyone any experience of removing the abs ? I’m ok with nuts n bolts so to speak but wondering about the wiring . Iv tried googling but only found a video on YouTube that I think was in polish so only limited help.
  2. Strawdog

Strawdog Strawdog

Oddometer:
    Why ?
    Arbolmano likes this.
  3. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    You could just disable it permanently unless you really want to get rid of the plumbing.
  4. kito

kito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want the whole system gone
  5. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    kito: I did remove the entire ABS system from my 2013 F800GS. It helped create a lot of room for some of the other upgrades I made to the bike and dropped a chunk of weight. However, one issue that really made it tough for me: the front brake light. The ABS sees your front brake pressure change and activates the brake light. So if you unplug the ABS unit your brake light stays on. However, on pre-2013 I belive this is not the case. If your front brake lever has a micro-switch then the ABS is not controlling the brake light like 2013+ models.

Can read my work on removing ABS on my build thread here:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/an-800s-rebirth-the-build-of-mechanico.1030354/page-8#post-26434820

[​IMG]
  6. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    I am pretty sure that pressure activated switches are ready available and can be plumbed in wherever convenient. Would need to extend the wiring.
  7. kito

kito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I read your excellent thread in full a year ago but have recently been looking through it again. I seen you know your way around a bike an had some issues that had me worried. My bike is a 2008 so hopefully easy to do as I’d like to fit the nuda battery box
  8. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, I suspect yours being a 2008 it will have a switch on the front brake which means you are good to go. You might get a CEL on the dash, but you'll live.