2008 F800GS engine dies at 6500-7000rpm

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by jerryga, Mar 25, 2017.

1. jerryga

jerryga Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello, I tried searching but could not find anything with google or the site search.

Anyhow, I've got a 2008 F800gs with 58 000 km. Modifications are lithium battery and 15 tooth sprocket. End of last season the bike started dying on hard acceleration. I suspected it was the side stand switch as it always happened on bumpy off-road riding or when pulling a wheelie.

Today I got to ride it first time for this season. When riding out from town the engine died a few times when I changed to neutral in traffic lights. I guess the battery was a bit down on power after the winter even as I stored it in a warm garage. This did not happen anymore after I kept the RPM up for a while. But later when I got to open roads it always died at around 6500 rpm and after half a second it continued accelerating from about 5500-6000 rpm all the way.

My question now is what could be the problem. I was thinking if I can try a normal battery from my WR250r or if that is too weak on the F800gs. Second thing I might try to use some injector cleaner in the gasoline. I also have a second hand side stand switch cable and switch that I can try if needed.

I appreciate any help and if anyone have had anything similar?

Ending with the goods news. I had changed my rim to a new excel rim to get rid of the original very much abused rim. Very smooth riding on asphalt now :)
  2. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA, 2016 R1200RT Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does it die as in you have to pull over to a stop and start it up, or does it just temporarily cut out, and then kick back in while still at speed but after RPM's drop a bit, like when you hit the red line limit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  3. jerryga

jerryga Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The engine does not turn off completely I can continue riding. Last year it happened that I had to turn off ignition and start again. That's why I suspected the side stand.
  4. Juozaz

Juozaz Juozaz F800GS Blonde

Oddometer:
    Hi, I has this situation before, please check fuel tank ventilation, hose of engine bottom.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
    jerryga likes this.
  5. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA, 2016 R1200RT Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good suggestion - I had similar issue with my wife's F800ST.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    jerryga likes this.
  6. jerryga

jerryga Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will check it tomorrow and hope for the best. Thank you,
  7. jerryga

jerryga Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All right. I had open #17 in below picture and tried to blow both ways and easy so if I understand correctly it should be okay? Or do I need to open the valve from where the pipe comes from?

I also tried to record on my phone when keeping steady rpm at around 6500 rpm. But it was only wind noise and shaking :baldy from the ram-mount.

What I wanted to show is how the engine cut off on load at 6500 rpm but can continue to accelerate after one cut off.

So have I fine anything correct?

Attached Files:

8. AntReed

AntReed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Possibly the stock coils are bad? I had some similar symptoms on my 1200, isles fine, smooth acceleration fine but hard acceleration caused a stutter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JimsBeemer likes this.
  9. jerryga

jerryga Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been on a few work trips and could not work on the bike. But had a good mechanic helping out. Now this is finally solved. Timing chain was changed and one intake valve shimmed. Now it works perfectly again. Thanks for all the help.