2008 front brake issues

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Cavi, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Cavi

Cavi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    soo, a couple of weeks ago I went to ride, first time in a couple of months due to winter. Front brake was dead, pull and it goes all the way to the bar and nothing. After maybe 2 blocks some pumping it was fully back. Couple of days latter same thing, so I figured old fluid, got water sucked in and now air. Took to my local mechanic, he bled the system and all seemed well. Well, last weekend I went to ride and again the brake was gone. This time it would not come back. So today I took it back for a final try at bleeding. It again feels fine but I honestly doubt it will stay this way. He and I feel that either the master cyl. needs a rebuild or I have an issue with the ABS (although the rear is fine).
    Ideas? Any idea where I can get a cyl rebuild kit? I did not even manage to find it on the microfiche, and I really did look.
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    The BWM factory system and the GS-911, (MAYBE the motoscan I don't know...)
    have a function that pulses the actuators in the ABS unit to help bleed out any trapped air bubbles.
    Did your mechanic have/use one of those?

If not ... it seems like a cheap thing to try ...
  3. Cavi

Cavi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    more info please... A link to buy this maybe??
  4. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    soldierguy likes this.
  5. Trekka273

Trekka273 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even if there was a small amount of air in the system, I find it hard to believe that this would result in the lever going to the bar within in a few days. While I guess that it could be an ABS system issue, without seeing what is going on first hand I would be thinking that it is the master cylinder. Perhaps a seal has deteriorated or similar. If so, it should be a relatively easy and cheap rebuild, you would soon know if it didn't fix the problem.
  6. 211

211 ThorsPadre

Oddometer:
    You can actuate the ABS with Motoscan professional
    Requires OBDLink scan tool
    adapter cable
    Motoscan (professional version to unlock the usable features)
    Android device to run Motoscan
  7. Strawdog

Strawdog Strawdog

Oddometer:
    If you have air (spongy brake) bleed the master cylinder first. It may take awhile I will loop bleeder hose back into reservoir once clean fluid is coming through. Then do lower brakes. It can what seems like allot of fluid.

I had had same issue on my F800GS it is difficult sometimes to get air out of the master cylinder. I have a GS-911 did not help air trapped in master cylinder unless you change the ABS pump you should not need GS-911.

From your description your ABS systen is fine

On different bikes I worked on brake master cylinders can be a real PIA to bleed