[2008 model] KTM 690 Duke Insurance issue

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by macutan, Oct 17, 2008.

1. macutan

macutan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

Question to owners of the 2008 KTM 690 Duke, I am trying to get insurance for this motorcycle and when i give the insurance companies the VIN number it keeps defaulting to a KTM Super Duke 990 (990cc), has anyone had this issue? how did you resolve it?... I have tried a couple of the big insurers and they all show me the same problem.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated
    macutan :)
  2. Sobiloff

Sobiloff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No solution for ya', but I had similar woes with my 690 Enduro. None of the insurance companies had the bike in their database when I was shopping around for pricing; all wanted a VIN number before they could give a firm quote. Once I bought the bike and had a VIN number, they still couldn't pull anything up by the VIN, either.

The upside is that now I'm paying less for the same level of insurance on my 690 Enduro than I am on my 1999 KLR650. :deal
  3. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    KTM is notorious for VIN issues. This company has lousy paperwork, although I suspect it works to our favor more often than not by allowing dual-sporting of a bike that otherwise would show up as strictly off-road.

The insurance carrier won't allow a VIN override? I've had this happen once or twice, but my carrier (State Farm) has always been willing to classify the bike using a similar model which is in their system. If this is an intractable problem, I'd find another carrier.

- Mark