2008 Paris to Dacre

Discussion in 'Canada' started by osteo, Jan 8, 2008.

1. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Rally Connex is proud to announce the return of the Paris to Dacre Dualsport Challenge for 2008

Date: July 11th - 13th

The event is designed to mimic a typical day at the real Paris to Dakar Rally. Teams of 3-5 will negotiate a set of GPS routes, totaling over 700km, all in one day.

You must have a road legel, quiet, knobby tired bike. A tech inspection and sound testing will be performed for eligibility. Mandatory safety equipment and bike maintenance equipment will be required to be carried by each team.

As with a typical rally there will be liaison (easy) sections, and special test (timed, and more difficult) sections.

Note - the timed sections are for those teams wishing to be timed, this event is NOT a competition, the total length is challenging enough.

Dinner and camping will be at the finish and your gear will be waiting for you.

If you attended either the 2005 or the 2006 event, you wll be given priority once sign up opens.

The event will be limited to 60 entrants, so act quickly once sign up is announced.

Stay tuned to this thread or go to www.rallyconnex.com for details.

Sign up to the rallyconnex.com email list for all event updates by sending a note to rallyconnex@gmail.com

Jan 8th Additional Info:

*Participants must register as a team, you can remove team members, but you must have a maximum of 6 members (preferably 5) and a minimum of 3.
    *Pre-Registration will open March 1st and can include 'new' members on an 'older' (2005, 2006) team
    *Normal Registration will begin March 14th
    *RC will not be responsible for pairing up team members.

Fees:
    * Pre-registration fee will be $100, with 50% due upon registration and the remainder due June 21st (1 month before the event). Your up-front money will be used to put deposits down on various rentals and catering services, plus it will show us that you are serious about your commitment.

What does your fee include?:
    * Onsite camping at both ends (you must supply your own tents, sleeping bags, etc...)
    * Meals - bbq Friday night, light breakfast Sat morning, lunch on trail Sat, hot dinner Sat night, and Sunday morning breakfast. (BYOB)
    * support trucks
    * transport of camping gear to Dacre
    * Sweep and Roving riders with SAT phones

Conclusion
    Participants must arrange their own transportation home on Sunday, including any gear that they had transported.

Further details still to follow...

D
  2. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Does El-Quaeda know about this?

:ear
  3. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer:
    Wish I were back in the Great Lakes again, I'd to the PtoD on my Ural!!!
  4. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    This sounds interesting... maybe I should try it! :evil

P.S. Yaaaa.... I'm all over this like a fat kid on Smarties!!!!:tb
  5. wjohnb

wjohnb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was asked on one of the other threads about Team Baad Boys (the only ones yet to complete the route on both 2005 and 2006 versions), how long it took them.

Team Baad Boys for 06 were:
    Barry Armstrong KTMLC4e, Darryl Irwin Honda XR650R, Al Buck Husky TE450, Al Reesor DRZ400S, Ken Gardner KTM EXC450 and Rome Haltofis EXC450 (Rome went on to Iron Man the the Baja 1000 in December of 06 and he completed it as well!).

On the 2006 PD, they started rolling at 4:10am and reached Dacre Hall at 8:28pm. They averaged about 50km hr, just about right and that is moving especially including fill ups and lunch and pee breaks and some trail conditions.

Those guys knew how to support each other and hardly ever stopped.

The two sweepers (Ed Strohak and John Baxter) left at just after 5:20am and landed at Dacre at 10:20pm. The last loop of 41km was not swept as the Baad boys had been recorded as leaving the loop.

Yes a long great day.
  6. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    Every minuet counts!! I can't imagine how stressful it must be to do that for 19 days straight - all the while suffering (sleep deprivation, ever decreasing levels of concentration, possible malnutrition, copious amounts of heat, mechanical failures, ect. ect. ect.)

All hail Dakar... (I mean, Dacre!) :bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow
  7. kahoon

kahoon who's yer daddy??

Oddometer:
    :rofl :lol3 :poser :jack
  8. Fin

Fin Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer:
    I was watching The Hour on CBC last night and Strombo mentioned his dream was to enter the Dakar. Maybe he should be told about this Dacre and enter that GS of his. :evil

Cheers

Fin
  9. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    Lornce, you want me to do this?
    Are you fucking nuts, or haven't you ever seen me ride?:rofl
  10. Fin

Fin Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer:
    He's thinking I might need someone to land on are you available RobbieO? :lol3
  11. Ridemuch

Ridemuch Ciao

Oddometer:
    Robb, will bring the coolers of beer and watch from the side lines..
  12. adiablolex

adiablolex Lost again

Oddometer:
    I'm in, I'm in:lobby hard as it looks it should be a blast!
  13. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    You bet you're ass you're in... Team 950 here we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. we need a better name!!!! :augie
  14. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    I found this on the ODSC site - posted on the 2006 P2D thread:

"Have just returned from two days of proofing the PD eastern end and western/centre, John and Ed on Thursday and John and Barry A on Friday. Have just clocked over 900km in two days. (I am tierd now, not sure how I wil be after sweeping the whole thing!)

All I can say to the entrants is, you guy's are going to be challenged and you will love it!

What an incredible route, a bit longer than last years (2005) and also more challenging (honest!).

DOT KNOBBLY TYRES ARE ESSENTIAL! NO STREET TYPE TYRES PERMITTED.

The early stages are designed to make up distance in the pre-dawn and early part of the day. Make sure you bank up lots of time (just keep going) in the easy western section, because you WILL need that time cushion later.

We just re-did two water crossings west of Norland that Kevin and Dennis rode two weeks ago, we have had more rain since. Needless to say, the water was even deeper. I have never been through deeper water crossings - ever, over the front fender in places. A few heart in mouth places! LC4's are brilliant at this, Barry's muffler was UNDER water a couple of times! So as not to get you all worried, we will reride them again very shortly before the big day and determine if they are to be by-passed.

The Orillia to Dacre section just gets better and better as the day goes on, super forest roads and trails, some pavement when unavoidable. The stage was good last year but this year it is much better, parts are same as last year but Ed has added a string of real "crackers" into the last section.

I'll let Ed tell you just how close you can get to a couple of bears and still live to tell the tale, a close encounter of the bear kind. Any closer and one of the bears would have been riding pillon on an LC4 Adventure!! AND the other one would have been reading my GPS.

So, please get in shape, it's going to be "THE LONGEST DAY" that most of you will ever put on a DS/trail bike. Just a glimpse of what a DAKAR rally rider goes through fro days on end!

John and Ed"

"Ok, here are some BAAD Boyz Stats (by my Garmin Quest GPS track):
    Average Speeds:
    Before Orillia 370 @ 66km/h
    After Orillia 467km @ 41km/h
    Overall 837km @ 49km/h

Before Orillia, 2 minor wrong turns on my part, one on Darryls.. good news is that Darryl works from home so he doesn't get lost when he leaves his own driveway!
    After Orillia I think I made about 7... damn big loop at the end.

We travelled at 100km/h [​IMG] or more for 41minutes, 40seconds. Part of this was that "Baja" road.... wuhooooooo! [​IMG]
    We Travelled at 10km/h or less for 4h, 30minutes, 51 seconds [​IMG]
    We where stationary for 1h, 44minutes, 30 seconds. "
  15. Ridemuch

Ridemuch Ciao

Oddometer:
    How about "Team Pylons" :D
  16. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    .....Hey, as long as the hat fits (and it's the right color)!!!!!

As for Team GS...... don't even get me started: :deal

Attached Files:

17. RobbieO

RobbieO Muskokatard

Oddometer:
    Team Pylon?
    Maybe I can be the mascot?

[​IMG]
  18. osteo

osteo Motion is Life

Oddometer:
    You guys are nuts!! not sure if I really want to have dinner with you now!! :lol3 :freaky

D
  19. Fin

Fin Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer:
    Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!:rofl :rofl :rofl
  20. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Is there a sidecar class?

:ear