For sale 2008 Suzuki DL650 Vstrom (Weestrom) in S. Louisiana $2500

Discussion in 'Bikes' started by slartidbartfast, Aug 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    This Vstrom is a 2008 650cc ABS model (weestrom). I've owned it for about 18 months. It was purchased as a spare bike for friends to ride. One friend from UK has taken it to Big Bend and around in the Ozarks with me but I now have a Triumph Tiger for him instead. I did a lot of work to ensure the weestrom was in tip-top shape for long trips. It's a great little bike but it's hardly getting used so here it is for sale.

A few details:
    • Around 34,000 miles (4,000 in my care) which is not much at all for one of these. I do still ride it occasionally, so this might go up a bit;
    • I am the third owner but know nothing about the bike's history except that many of the accessories appear to have been installed for quite some time so I imagine the first owner had set it up for touring. I added some more farkles and have kept detailed records of work I have done.
    • Installed accessories include:
      • Crash bars;
      • Centerstand;
      • Givi side-case mounts;
      • Givi top-case mount and plate;
      • Extra brake and turn-signal LED lights;
      • Headlamp protector (currently on shelf);
      • Hand guards;
      • Longer, braided steel, front brake hose (I suspect the first owner had bar risers installed);
      • LED headlamp upgrade (awesome!);
      • Adjustable brake and clutch levers (originals included as spares);
      • Power outlets on dash and under-seat (for GPS, heated gear and battery tender);
      • GPS/RAM mount ball above dash;
      • Volt-meter;
      • Fork gaiters (installed when I rebuilt the forks);
      • BMW-style mirrors;
      • and possibly some others I have forgotten about.
    • I put on a brand new, high quality, X-ring chain and sprockets about 250 miles ago;
    • Forks were completely stripped, cleaned, new seals, scrapers and new oil about 3500 miles ago. Bushings were found to be perfect;
    • New steering bearings about 3500 miles ago;
    • New (unused NOS) seat about 3500 miles ago;
    • New iridium spark plugs about 3500 miles ago;
    • New air filter about 3500 miles ago;
    • External fuel filter modification with new fuel filter about 3500 miles ago;
    • New fuel pump and fuel screen about 2000 miles ago. Another spare pump and screen comes with the bike, even though this is a very rare failure;
    • Fresh oil and new filter about 200 miles ago;
    • Brake fluid replaced/flushed about 18 months ago at the same time as calipers were stripped, cleaned and lubed;
    • Brand new clutch interlock switch about 250 miles ago.
    Other status / Issues / Still required:
    • Rear ABS does not work (suspect internal solenoids are seized). This is a common issue with this model but most people either don't know it or don't disclose it. The front ABS works fine and the rear has been properly bypassed with parts from a non-ABS model. This is fixable, possibly only by stripping and cleaning the ABS unit but I'd expect most people to just live with it;
    • Tires are part-worn. Rear has probably about 1/3 life left in it, front has at least 1/2;
    • Brake pads are a little over 1/2 worn. TWO complete sets of new pads come with the bike;
    • I do not know when a valve inspection was last performed (if ever). Many Vstroms never need the valves adjusting but I have not checked this one yet;
    • I installed heated grips which did not work from day one. Might be an easy fix or wiring problem but I haven't tracked it down. Have the original grips to put back on if required;
    • Pannier frames were used with Touratech bags. Someone removed the Givi locking wedges and mushrooms but I never replaced them (not too pricey from Givi);
    • A few scrapes and scratches but no significant damage anywhere. More importantly no bodges such as non-metric screws or messed up wiring;
    • Original seat can be provided if someone wanted to have it rebuilt or recovered for comfort or to raise/lower slightly. It has a sun-damaged and split cover but the foam is fine.
    I would be perfectly confident riding this bike anywhere. You could fly and ride to anywhere in the lower 48 (or Alaska I guess).
    IMG_3068.JPG IMG_3069.JPG IMG_3071.JPG IMG_3072.JPG IMG_3073.JPG IMG_3074.JPG IMG_3075.JPG IMG_3076.JPG IMG_3077.JPG IMG_3078.JPG IMG_3079.JPG IMG_3080.JPG IMG_3086.JPG IMG_3087.JPG IMG_3088.JPG IMG_3089.JPG
    Aghartha and wmailhos like this.
  2. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    Took her for a spin last weekend -about 25 miles. Started at first touch after sitting for 2 months (with battery tender). Quiet, smooth engine and slick gear changes. Easily hit 100mph at one point. Made me grin!
  3. Aghartha

Aghartha Idiot

Oddometer:
    Sheeeeeeeeeit this is tempting. Not sure if I would have the time to travel, but how much do you think it would cost to put it on a truck to Austin?
  4. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    Give me a few weeks and I could deliver it to Austin for the price of the airfare home. It's only about six hours' ride. ...or you fly to New Orleans or Baton Rouge and I'll collect you from the airport.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.