1. AVOID SCAMMERS!
      (1) Do not transact without protections in place! Different payment options may limit your payment protection
      (2) Use a payment service like PayPal WITH (!) purchase protection.
      (3) Terms like 'Friends and Family' are a warning that NO payment protection exists.
      (4) Avoid transactions with new members with no history and "family or friend of friend" offers.
      (5) If you do not understand the payment method you're being asked to use; stop and do not proceed until you do
      (6) If you receive a suspicious private message, click the "report" link and let us know!
    LISTINGS MUST INCLUDE: Price, Location, Product Description(s) and NO Links to CL or EBAY or your post will not be allowed. Read the rules!

Sold 2008 Yamaha WR250R - Bozeman, MT

Discussion in 'Bikes' started by Chadx, Jun 7, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    SOLD
    2008 Yamaha WR250R dual sport.
    Price lowered to $4,900 to avoid the need for haggling (so firm please).

Many of you will recognize this bike from my previous how-to posts and from rides and rallys such as the Montana 1000. Well, I'm moving away from road riding and focusing on offroad at this time. I'm pasting most of this ad that I'm using in other spaces, so excuse some of the over-explanation for the less informed. I'm assuming most ADVRiders/FFs know most of this info, but here you go...

----------------------------

The WR250R is Yamaha's factory dual sport and doesn't share any parts with the WR250F race bikes. These bikes are made for long term reliability and low maintenance. Recommended oil changes are 3,000 miles (though I do them at about 1,000 miles or at least once a year). Valve checks are at 24,000 miles. Fuel injected. Big alternator will power heated clothing, GPS, charge phone and extra lights all at the same time. Heavy duty subframe will support heavily packed luggage/bags or a passenger. There are factory passenger footpegs. Six speed transmission. This bike has 18,500 miles which isn't much for a WR250R. First valve check isn't due until 24,000 miles. Many of these bikes have well over 50,000 miles and still run like new. They are built to last.

I bought this bike in 2008 and used it a great deal the first four years. Great bike to take on multi-day ride-and-camp trips through the mountains, on day rides, or commuting to work. Selling because I don't ride on the street much anymore so don't need a street legal dual sport. I'm mainly riding offroad now and have only been putting a few hundred miles a year on this.

Upgrades include
    IMS 4.7 gallon gas tank. Color is Natural (you can see fuel level through tank)
    Seat Concepts aftermarket comfort seat (new last year)
    Highway Dirtbike (HDB) brand handlebar risers, top clamp and wraparound handguards.
    Protaper Handlebars
    Eastern Beaver wiring and 12v Powerlet plug in top clamp
    Front wheel with stronger spokes and Excel Takasago Rim built by Woody's Wheel Works.
    DoubleTake brand enduro mirrors and ram mount (includes one mirror; though shown with two).
    Speedo-drd speedometer programmer to account for different sprocket sizes
    Wolfman Expedition Dry Saddlebags (these are a bit dirty in the photos. Sorry)
    Wolfman Expedition Dry Tank Bag
    Wolfman WR250R saddlebag rack
    Flatland Racing brand skid plate
    Flatland Racing brand radiator guard
    Scaggs brand billet 'big; rear rack (new last year)
    Heated clothing plug wired and will include an adapter to plug into a Battery Tender to the same harness
    Owner's Manual
    Full shop manual

New last summer (about 300 miles ago):
    Primary Drive brand 14 and 51 tooth sprockets
    Primary Drive brand 520 ORH X-Ring chain
    Bridgestone heavy duty tubes and front/rear Dunlop D606 tires
    New Earthx EXT12A lithium battery (to proactively replace the original factory lead acid battery which lasted 11 years. Consistent use of a Battery Tenders does work!)
    The seat and rear rack were installed at this time replacing my other custom seat and rear rack so the seat and rear rack are near new.

Also includes
    New Tusk Aluminum Tire Irons with 22mm and 27mm wrench (front and rear axle nut size).
    Basic stock tools
    New Extra front and rear innertubes (to carry as spares)
    Two extra foam air filters so you can always have one oiled and ready to swap out.
    New extra white Highway Dirt Bike (HDB) handguard covers
    Original 2 gallon locking fuel tank
    Stock plastic shrouds (2 sets), radiator fins, engine wings, etc.

SOLD -- Selling for $4,900 (firm please).
    Montana Title is clear, signed and ready to go. No trades, please.

More details.
    Has the IMS 4.7 gallon tank which gives over 200 miles of range when full. If you don't want the extra weight for shorter rides, simply fuel up about half full and still get more range than the stock 2 gallon gas tank. Runs great on standard octane though premium is recommended. Also runs great on ethanol gas, though I always run the non-ethanol through it the last couple tanks of the season to ensure it's stored with non-ethanol gas over the winter. I usually do oil changes at 1,000 - 1,500 miles intervals even though 3,000 miles in recommended.

These have very plush, comfortable suspension compared to an offroad race bikes which keeps you from getting tired out. I've put in plenty of 8 to 10 hour days on this bike. It's rigged with saddlebags which I typically keep on the bike all the time, though they come of in about 1 minute. Saddlebags work better than a horseshoe shaped bag because it's easier to swing your leg over saddlebags, when getting on and off the bike, since they don't stick up further than the seat plus the weight of your gear is carried much lower. For long, multiday trips or supply runs, you can always strap another bag or items to the tail rack.

These bikes are geared very high from the factory so most owners gear them down. Both 5th and 6th are overdrives. They come stock with a 13 tooth front sprocket which positions the chain, but can wear through the plastic swingarm guards and damage the swingarm with certain chain tension so most change to a 14 tooth front sprocket and adjust the rear sprocket larger to compensate. 14/51 is the sweet spot and I've run this gearing on both of the WR250R bikes that I've owned. With this gearing, first is low enough to do technical trails and 6th is still a nice relaxed rpm for the highway.

Thanks for looking.
    Chad
    Type301 likes this.
  2. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    IMG_3595.JPG IMG_3596.JPG IMG_3599.JPG IMG_3600.JPG IMG_3602.JPG IMG_3605.JPG IMG_3606.JPG IMG_3609.JPG IMG_3611.JPG IMG_3613.JPG Images coming
  3. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    pics part 2 IMG_3615.JPG IMG_3617.JPG IMG_3618.JPG IMG_3619.JPG IMG_3620.JPG IMG_3622.JPG IMG_3623.JPG IMG_3624.JPG IMG_3629.JPG IMG_3631.JPG
  4. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    pics 3 IMG_3633.JPG IMG_3634.JPG IMG_3635.JPG IMG_3638.JPG
  5. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Price lowered.
  6. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    SOLD