2009 f 650 gs 2

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Katze, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Katze

Katze Full Time Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at a 2009 F 650 GS twin for my wife. It has 15K miles and they are asking $8,700. She has ridden one and likes it.

# 1. Is this to many miles for the price? It has many accessories such as bags and stuff and new tires.

#2. What should I look for as far as problem areas?

#3. How many miles should I expect this motor to last? And are there any issues known to occur with time?

Thanks and any advice would be appreciated.
  2. huckleberry

huckleberry BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer:
    you should check and see if you can get the balance of the warrenty----3yrs 36000miles i have an 09 with 32,000 and there are many people with more miles than me rotax motors are very reliable. can't really say about price but they are hard to find, check kelly blue book.problem areas--brakes,wheelbrgs just the normal things
  3. Manventure

Manventure Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a 2009 F650GS with 1600 miles for $9650 cash. It was in outstanding condition and came with Vario Panniers, the BMW Touring Screen, a 16" Cee Bailey Screen and a Center Stand. It also came with that hokey little plastic BMW Skid Plate but I am not sure if that is standard or was an accessory.

All of the warranty work had been done with the exception of the chain/sprocket which I need to get in and do.

I felt like the price was more than fair and consistent with the others on either Ebay, Craigslist or at the local dealership and the above poster is correct - they are VERY hard to find still.

I think the price you quoted above looks excellent but that is just my opinion. I would probably buy it.
  4. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not necessarily too many miles for the price. These 798cc parallel twin Rotax motors aren't really even fully broken in until 8,000 miles or so.... at least that is what two BMW mechanics told me.

There are some common issues with the F-Twin bikes (F650GS Twin and F800GS). All of which are fully addressed on this forum (search) and all of which are addressed by service bulletins or recalls. When you buy the bike see if there is any warranty left (should be a bit). If so, take it to any BMW motorcycles dealer and have them run the VIN # for recalls and/or service bulletins. Have them do any of them that come up. All of it will be free if still under warranty.

Many many many more miles than 15,000. 100,000 is not out of the question.
  5. tasslehawf

tasslehawf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been looking at that one too. I was suprised it hasn't sold but I do think the price is high.
  6. vtbob

vtbob wanderer

Oddometer:
    The Rotax engines have proven to be very reliable. I would guess the 100,000 mile statement would not be off the mark.
    I can not really comment with any real knowledge on the price, but it does not seem out of line, especially with the options mentioned...saddle bag, depending on the make are over $1grand. YEs the plastic skid plate is an option..around $100.

My guess the first repair cost would be a new chain and front sprocket at around 25k miles. ...and likely new tires around that tine too.

I've got only 14k miles on my F650gs and love it
  7. Katze

Katze Full Time Rider

Oddometer:
    We'll we did it! Bought the bike. Good, bad or indifferent... it's ours. Paid $8,400. It's still got some warranty so that's good. Came with side bags, top trunk, crash bars, tall wind shield, heated grips, ABS, brand new tires and all receipts for work done to it.

Time to ride!
  8. Lensgrinder

Lensgrinder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you got a pretty good deal with those extras listed.
    Now you are going to have to deal with a wife that is grinning all the time, like I do.:lol3
  9. tasslehawf

tasslehawf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I noticed it disappeared off of cycle trader. Good deal. Wish I had the cash. Would have been fun to ride it back to TX.