2009 F650GS (800 Twin obviously) stalling issues

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by DiabloBlanco, Apr 14, 2016.

1. DiabloBlanco

DiabloBlanco Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer:
    Greetings fine ladies and gentlemen (and the not so fine ones too), I've been silent in the community for a long time, and I feel like I'm coming back with my tail between my legs asking advice from a friend after ditching them for a few years. I suppose my big trip ended, life got busy, and even though I was still riding, I wasn't feeling "adventurous" knowing I wouldn't get another adventure for awhile.

Anyhow, I've been having a problem with my bike for the last 3-4 years and I've taken it to two different shops FIVE TIMES. They keep saying "we can't reproduce the stalling." As a result I've only ridden my precious bike ~3,000 in the last 3-4 years. They haven't really ever done anything in the shops besides regularly scheduled service (at 24,000mi now), changed the plugs, I changed the battery, I dump a ton of injector cleaner in.

There's always a crabby person who's mad someone didn't search prior to posting. I searched and read a few threads on somewhat similar problems other people had to mine and I have a list of things I need to get checked out, but maybe this post will narrow it down with someone's expert advice so I don't waste too much time and money on things that probably aren't the culprit (I'm a better rider than I am a mechanic, and I'm not a very good rider so fixing too many things is going to take me a long time or cost a lot at the shop)

THE PROBLEM: Fairly typical example, let's say I ride my bike to work/school. It will start up and ride there pretty well. But on the return trip (6 hrs later) after a little bit it will start to idle rough and then at some point when I let off the throttle or come to a stop it will stall and I'll have to hold down the starter and really crank on the throttle to get it fired back up. Once that happens it will kill almost every time I let off the throttle so if I come to another red light or stop sign, stop and go traffic, whatever, I'll have to pull the clutch in while giving it some throttle to keep the RPMs around 2,000, because if I let off and let it go to idle it'll kill and only get harder to restart.

So that's a typical scenario. I'll do a first leg of a trip and everything will go fine. Then shortly after (when it's still warm) or hours later (when it has cooled back down) it'll start stalling out on me as I let off the throttle. But the next morning I'll walk out and it'll fire back up.

Also, maybe related, maybe not, the trip computer resets all the time lately.
    Also, maybe related, as another post referenced, when I open the fuel tank I hear a little pssss like there was pressure built up in the tank. I never knew it wasn't normal but said post said it wasn't.

What I'm guessing I should primarily look at:
    Fuel pump/filter
    Idle Air Controller and then reset the adaptation value
    Fuel Pressure Controller
    O2 sensor

Lower on the list:
    Charcoal canister (lower on my list)
    Temperature controller
    Injectors

At this point I'm ready to tell the shop to just replace everything. I'm sick of not riding because I'm scared of my bike stalling out on me. Sorry for the mountain of text, I'm just frustrated..
  2. AustinXL

AustinXL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    -Check IAC for grime, etc.

-Next try fuel pump. There's an aftermarket one you can buy that's the pump only, its around 60 dollars, there's a recent thread showing how easy it is to change.
  3. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    what year is it?
  4. Loutre

Oddometer:
    oh and btw I'm the mister Crabby of the //u, welcome back :lol3
  5. RBMann

RBMann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see 2009 in the title.

D242-20160302_115538.jpg
  6. Loutre

Oddometer:
    merci :lol3
  7. Loutre

Oddometer:
    simple things first that can be ruled out quickly: battery voltage? (have you changed it since 09?), checked your alternator is working properly? have you checked the ignition (micro) switch?
  8. Reaver

Reaver How Did I Get Here?

Oddometer:
    FTFY
  9. Loutre

Oddometer:
    NTTAWWT
  10. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    Problem sounds almost identical to the idling/stalling/hot start issues most G650GS owners have been experiencing. I tore my hair out unsuccessfuly trying to fix the problem with my Sertao until BMW finally decided it had received sufficient complaints from owners, and that an ECU firmware update was in order.

I don't know the history of parallel twin GS firmware recalls but I think I would start my problem diagnosis/resolution by finding out what release your bike is running, and getting it updated to the latest version.
  11. Loutre

Oddometer:
    I had that exact issue on my G650G. That was the main reason I sold the thumper and got the //twin. Loved that bike but had enough of BMW doing nothing about it :bluduh
  12. farqhuar

Oddometer:
    Yeah, for me it is one of many reasons why I moved on from the Sertao. The bike was way too tall and had spoke wheels, I should have bought the standard G650GS instead but at the time BMW Australia was selling the Sertao at a lower price than the standard model so I thought I was getting a bargain.

I last used it to do a 6 week, 10,000 mile ride to the North of Australia, mostly dirt. Bike performed ok except for eating the possum catcher and chain guard, blowing a fork seal, destroying the indicator flasher box mount, seizing up the hazard light and grip heater switches, and destroying the chain as well as literally turning the rear sprocket round (lost all the teeth) and throwing the chain, as well as many, many rim dings - it really didn't like the corrugations much.
  13. Loutre

Oddometer:
    the sertao is a shitty bike. Instead of trying a new design they should have brought back the dakar and fixed the forks.
  14. Reaver

Oddometer:
    I loved my Dakar.....until I rode Twins all day then had to go home on my Single.

I lived with the forks, it was the leaky waterpump and hard oil lines that pissed me off.
  15. farqhuar

Oddometer:
    The Sertao WAS the Dakar. The differences are so minimal (mainly electronic and cosmetic) as to make it moot which was the crappier.
  16. Loutre

Oddometer:
    no shit sherlock. they even made the tank 2l smaller.
  17. Reaver

Oddometer:
    Sertao engine was MADE IN CHINA.

That was the determining factor for its vast inferiority. I called them Harley's, shipping crates full of leaked oil.
  18. K_K

K_K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have no opinion about the Serato, but wonder about the hissing sound when opening the fuel cap.

Does opening the fuel cap after a stall make any differance, i e fuel starvation due to clogged air intake/canister.?
  19. murpies

murpies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is the 2011 F650GS twin
    I had experience the same problem as yur. My dealer can't reproduce the fault as I show him the video footage on my GoPro . He was then convinced . He then check my battery voltage n alternator n fuel pump but all works fine. He then change a new TPS (throttle position sensor) n it working fine now. But whenever I send my bike for servicing it stall a couple of time but will be fine thereafter . It seem like the ECU is compensating the issue n learning. Now it hardly stall again. Waiting for my next servicing to see how it goes. Will update my finding here.
    ChiriLeo likes this.
  20. sunquest2

sunquest2 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been riding my 2009 F650GS for about 5 years, first problem accrued after riding 3000 miles with the occasional use of fuel additive on the way to Hermosillo Mx. It died at a toll booth and at least 3 more times during the next 5 miles. I contacted the previous owner with my problem for help; His reply was did you add injector cleaner when you filled the tank? I replied 'some times' he replied NO, you must always add it -OK- one bottle later all is better. For the next 40,000 miles I have done so except when I forget and am reminded with a stalling motor. BMW is unaware of any problems with the F650/800 stalling.
    I am getting a little tired of passing cars and trucks not knowing if I let off the throttle if it will die again and the added expense and the messy bottle in my rear bag stinking up my road food. Tried the "it must be your fuel pump" and installed a new one, NOPE not a bit of help so I went back to adding fuel cleaner, maybe it is the injectors? Called an injector repair shop and we both agreed the injectors are probably not the cause. Is it the 02 sensor-- could be?
    New fuel filter has arrived but I hold out hope it will solve the problem. I assume the faults have nothing to do with whether I use the injection cleaner or not.
    With injector cleaner it runs fine, without it dies. It now has 96,000 miles living on injector cleaner THAT IS NOT RIGHT! ARE THERE ANY ANSWERS specific to the 800 motor
    LOVE THE BIKE thinking of a newer F700GS or F750GS. Being vertically challenged it fits me but don't want the same problems.