2009 F650GS Rear Suspension?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by moe.ron, Jan 17, 2012.

1. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    I need to replace the rear shock and aside from Ohlins I can't find anything anywhere! Either a website is being retooled or there are no prices on another or the website just sucks. I have been looking for an hour!

I am looking to take a blown out factory lower shock and replace it with something in the standard height without going broke. This is a high mileage bike I am trying to fix up a bit. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Didn't get very far with the search.
  2. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    local suspension shop in TN rebuilt and revalved my stock rear suspension all for around $350 :deal
  3. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    That would be great and I would love to rebuild the suspension thats there but its the low version and I want to go back to standard.
  4. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Well, there is currently an Olins group buy..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753737&highlight=bwdr

Last time I checked, there were two options. The same shocks just one has a hydraulic preload adjsuter for making quick sag changes for big weight changes ( approx $875MSRP). The second option is without the Hydraulic preload adjuster - jut a manual one(approx $575MSRP).
  5. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:
    Send Lukas a PM, he can provide WP shocks; I'm getting one this week or next.

edit: you should realize that any quality shock replacement is going to be around $1000 + labor if you're not installing it yourself. Additionally you should get the Indy bolt kit.
  6. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    Do you think finding a used stock shock and rebuilding it would be worth it? I really don't want to spend a third of what the entire bike cost on a shock.
  7. jetjackson

jetjackson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How many miles out of curiosity? I have the same bike and will be putting a lot of miles on it. Would be good to know when to expect the rear to go...
  8. dendrophobe

dendrophobe Motorbike Junky

Oddometer:
    You have a few options for replacement shocks:

Bitubo
    Ohlins
    Elka
    Race Tech
    WP
    Hyperpro
    Stock (Sachs) - find someone who has changed theirs out for aftermarket, you can probably get one pretty cheap

There are probably more that I can't think of... They all range in price, but expect to spend $800-1200 for something non-stock.

Edit: just found another one, from a UK based company, Hagon. Looks like the cheapest of the aftermarket options.
  9. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    Just over 40K, they looked like pretty hard miles though.
  10. dsrydr

dsrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ricor has theirs on sale for $549. That's what I have on my 650gs (twin) and I love it! Make sure you call them and specify the 650 twin. The one on the site is for the single.
  11. jetjackson

jetjackson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that seems to be about the mileage people are getting, 40k miles aka 70k km.