2009 F650GS Starting Issues

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by CaptGlenn, Aug 7, 2011.

1. CaptGlenn

CaptGlenn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please help...My 650 wasn't starting last week. It was turning over but failing to fire up. Coincidentally, I had JUST replaced the battery to an OEM battery. When I got it all hooked up I tried to fire it up and it didn't engage. The only thing that I might have done wrong is try to fire up the bike before I had fully charged the battery. I did have it fully charged before riding it. Anyways, I had the bike towed to a local dealer and they replaced both fuel injectors as well as took care of a few recalls. All under warranty.

I got the bike back Friday night, rode it home no problem. Then yesterday when on about a 100 mile ride with some friends and stopped and started about a dozen times without any issues. I got on to run an errand last night and same thing! Bike's turning over but not firing. WTF?!?

So, I will get it towed tomorrow, but wanted some advice on whether I should send it back to the same shop or a new one. Could it be something wrong with the battery since I tried it before it was fully charged? I'm at a loss here...anyone else had this issue?

Please help
  2. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    clogged injectors. Very common with ethanol in fuels. Many threads on this subject. My solution is to run ethanol free gas whenever possible and if you do need to run it use one ounce of Seafoam per gallon to keep the aluminum fuel pump from oxidizing (rusting) in the high acid mix of water and ethanol. The small aluminum oxide particles are too small to filter and large enough to clog our micro injectors.
  3. CaptGlenn

CaptGlenn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, I have the bike back in the shop. They're telling me that it's the fuel pump. So, new injectors, pump, and I'll make sure that they change out the filter as well. Hopefully it will all be good.