2009 F650GS?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Woodsparrow, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Woodsparrow

Woodsparrow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    They are good and decent bikes but they are actually an 800 with milder tuning to produce less power. The weight of the bike is essentially identical to an 800 so you have the weight of the 800 without the power of an 800.
  3. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Frankly, I am appalled the dealership didn't have the common courtesy to set the price equal to mileage to appease your OCD :lol3

Overall, very clean looking bike with a few mod (windscreen, skid plate, luggage rack). Low mileage doesn't surprise me much as the BMW marque overall has a very 'mature' (e.g. aged) ridership. I've got nearly 135K miles on the F650twin and now the F700 platform. The stator went at 50K on the first bike, and other than routine maintenance no other issues.

The only real downside is that 2009 are now 3 generations back & aftermarket support is starting to wane a bit. But if I wanted a commuter, gets 55+MPG if you keep your paw below 60MPH. Drops to 45MPG pushing 80MPH.
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  4. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    I'm always watching for 2009-2012 F650GS twins offered for sale. Why are they always 2009 models?
  5. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up an 09 F8GS w/10k miles about a year ago for $5k. It was well kept and I've have almost no issues. The steering head bearings were notchy but that is common and not hard to fix.

There were some OEM upgrades they made later in production that you may want to upgrade to like fuel pump controler (replace silver one with black one), the side stand was weak and prone to bend but a 2013+ will bolt right in with simple mod to the side stand safety switch and is the new/stronger version.

I've been very pleased with mine, best bike I've ever owned.
  6. Woodsparrow

Woodsparrow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks all. I'll probably call in about it tomorrow.

Anything I need to know or check or otherwise handle?
  7. MX2ADV

MX2ADV MX2ADV

Oddometer:
    Looks like a deal that should not be passed up. My wife has an '09 that we picked up used with low miles. No problems in over 15k miles. The bike purrs like a kitten on the highway and gets a reliable 50mpgs. I'm told that the bike has a relatively weak charging system compared to other Beemers but not an issue for us. The only negative thought I've ever had about the bike was the cost of the 12k service at the dealer. If memory serves it was like 1200 bucks...