2009 F800 GS won't idle above 8000'

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by johnloucks, Mar 16, 2016.

1. johnloucks

johnloucks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Spent the night on La Salle Pass (10,000') and the next morning, coming down, my F800GS wouldn't idle. It'd stall. I had to bring rpm up to around 2000 to keep it from stalling but that made the decent really treacherous.

Back down to 4000' (and home in Houston at 100') it is a little rough until it warms up but it runs.

Any guesses where I should look to fix? Appreciate your help!
  2. jsb223

jsb223 ADV Rookie

Oddometer:
    injector clogged is my guess...
  3. Reaver

Reaver Why am I still here?

Oddometer:
    I'd be checking the idle air circuit. If it's partially clogged but running full open at lower altitude then you wouldn't know. Higher up it can't flow enough. Either way you should maintain that system. The barometer for the fuel injection is inside the ECU, under the seat. Unlikely the vent (black plastic dome) is blocked but the baro might be going bad. Or a reflash of the computer. But you say it still runs bad at 100' so....

Higher altitudes mean less oxygen and less fuel required (lost power) so if it was the baro causing it to run rich, the plugs would be black.

Check the idle air circuit first, it's easier.
  4. samalama

samalama Where we going? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would check your Air filter to see if it is dirty. Cheapest and easiest possible fix.
    chokozip and JustKip like this.