2009 F800GS ABS Screw

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by JRW50, Aug 10, 2013.

1. JRW50

JRW50 n00b

Oddometer:
    So I stupidly broke my front ABS sensor screw by over-tightening it after installing my front tire. It snapped in half and I still need to get it out somehow.
    Does anyone know what size of screw fits the sensor? I ride a 2009 F800GS. In the mean time is there any issue with riding with the sensor pulled back out of the way in a secure position?
    Thanks.
  2. Reaver

Reaver Why am I still here?

Oddometer:
    What? No one loves you? Two days without a reply? Poor n00b. Good thing Loutre didn't smell you. He likes n00b bashing.

Anyway, use a parts fiche site like A&S which gives you this: http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated...es&bindName=FRONT_WHEEL_BRAKE&bindCat=34_1665

#12 shows a M6x16 Fillister head bolt.

Since it broke from overtorque, it should be fairly loose now that the head is gone. You'll have to learn how to use an easy-out or similar type of broken screw extractor. It'll involve drilling the screw and hammering in an extractor without damaging the original thread. Not a big deal really.

The front sensor gives you the speedo signal so just tape or cable tie it in place for now. Otherwise you'll get the flashing red triangle and your ABS will be disabled. Brakes will still work fine, just no ABS function.

Sounds like Santa should bring you a torque wrench.....:lol3
  3. Reaver

Oddometer:
    Oh, and this is a Global forum. Fill in your location. At least your Country.
  4. tah1800

tah1800 Long timer

Oddometer:
    And that avatar really is Reavers portrait.....
  5. Reaver

Oddometer:

Shaddup.

You are what you eat.

Science FACT.
  6. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Before getting out the drill and easy-outs, see if there is a little bit of the fracture point that is sitting above the entry point. You can can often catch it with the edge of a smaller but solid jeweller's screwdriver and gently tap it on an angle appropriate it for it to come out.
    Try the easy option first before the drill/easy-out method. Especially if you have never done that before.
    Try to remember that torque specs are for a reason, and that you don't have to tighten everything down to the point of stripping threads. Spark plugs are good examples. The rear axle nut is an example of needing heavier torque, but the front axle clamp bolt is an example of light torque.
    If you have a bike with the hex bit type oil drain plug, be really careful with that one. Also, if you are new to torque wrenches, buy a good one and maintain it, you'll have it for years.