2009 F800GS Extra Accessory connection

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by RodeWarrior, Sep 4, 2010.

1. RodeWarrior

RodeWarrior n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey there. Has anyone with an F800GS used that extra connection under the front top panel (battery and air filter cover) to connect an electrical accessory to the bike's system? If so, what have you found? I've been searching for information on this connecting point and for an adapter cable but haven't located anything so far. Thanks. Dave.
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    That is used to connect the BMW-branded GPS.
    It has +12V, ground, and a speed-pulse output which helps the GPS keep track of position/distance if it can't see the satellites.

I had planned to use that tap for both my GPS and a battery voltage monitor (which I am pissed that BMW left off of the OBC display ... but that's another story)

Anyway here's what I did to wire it in:
    http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36149

I later stopped using it for my non-BMW GPS as when I had the GPS attached it seemed to sometimes hold the CANBus circuit open indefinitely instead of shutting down after 60 seconds like it was supposed to do...
    It works fine with only the voltage LED wired in...

There are some other threads that discuss this thing if you search for GPS wiring or something simlar.
  3. Firefight911

Firefight911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use it and have had no problems whatsoever. In fact, I've used this very thing on all my CANBus/ZFE bikes with no problems - R1200ST, K1300GT, R1200GS Adventure, F800GS, F650GS (twin). There are quite a few threads floating around on it. You just need a BMW repair connector to make your connection.

LINKY

Easy as pie!:thumb
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The GPS plug works well and shuts off a minute after you turn the key off, BUT, if you connect something to it that exceeds a certain draw, it will NOT shut off and remains on until you drain your battery. I have P3 Photobalsters hooked up to it, (LEDs for front visibility) and when I added a radar detector to the same GPS circuit, it would stay on permanently, unless I turn the radar detector off.
  5. RodeWarrior

RodeWarrior n00b

Oddometer:
    That's helpful information.
    Thanks Everyone!
  6. zanardi

zanardi zanardi

Oddometer:
    hi guys,

if you plug in anything that draws more than 3 amps, the bike will not shut down on its own and you will kill the battery. GPS etc, no problem, but higher amp stuff like heated vests will kill it....

safe riding!

:drums
  7. lunaticTR

lunaticTR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a completely wrong info. It is rated 5 amps. And I believe it shuts it down around 4.5A. I tried the heated jacket (110W, +-8A). It would shut it down if I turned it up more than half. Although the control unit is PWM, it drives it at 8A for, lets say, half a second, then turns it down another half (assuming I turned it down to half duty cycle), the canbus seemed to tolerate it. Then somehow as if it realized that I am fooling it with the half duty cycle, it decided to shut the output right away. It was a temporary use anyways and I wasn't gonna use it like that. It was really cold and my extra powerlet outlet that I was going to run from the battery was on order.
    Basically, canbus does what it's supposed to do and shuts the output down at around 5A. If yours doesn't do that, then you have a problem. Because we have canbus system that takes the place of a fuse box. If yours doesn't work properly, you don't have the protection of fuses.
  8. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    Are you talking about the GPS plug or the "cigarette" plug?

Maybe we are getting confused, or maybe just **I** am getting confused. :lol3

Some of the earlier appends were talking about the GPS plug, and from the size of the wire used in that circuit, I'm sure it's not good for anything close to 4A - 5A.

Based on the comments above, I think even my Nuvi 500 may have been drawing enough from the GPS connection to confuse it...
    I had to move it to a direct battery connection as it didn't always shut off.