2009 F800gs gremlins...value....

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Peels, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Peels

Peels Long timer

Oddometer:
    oh well, Feel like starting a thread today.

Anyways, We're half-shopping for my sons second bike-He's on an mt03 now and rides a LOT.. its time to move up. he LOVES bombing backroads looking for something like this or KTM... Hes in college so needs storage and to do highway OK as well as gravel and dirt.

came a cross a facespace ad today for a 2009 gs with 12k. Price, at $6k sounds high?

ad states: "always maintained, but hasnt been ridden much in the last two years"

I'm well versed in bmw boxer-ese but not parallelican. In my head, based on my old oilhead, this quote means nothing has been checked or changed and WILL cause me troubles in the next couple years. lol

im curious, what are the standard troubles for these? any major ones? ITs a beemer so I expect electrical nonsense.
  2. Perj

Perj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gear indicator function wears out.
    Peels likes this.
  3. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    You do realize that there is a huge shortage of semiconductor chips, which is likely to continue affecting manufacturing for the next 18-24 mos? The car industry normally carries about 4million cars inventory into the 4th quarter. Right now, that is less than 1 million units. Pricing on used bikes and cars, is absolutely.insane right now. I was looking for a beater intro bike for a friend's MSF attempt, couldn't touch a clapped out Ninja 250 for less than $3K!
  4. Peels

Peels Long timer

Oddometer:

Haha yes im well aware. in the last 1-1.5 yrs... Looked into a boat, a Tenere. both yamaha, both answers were give us money, you'll get what you get. :) Same for a Toyota 4runner, my wife was looking at-3 months wait, if youre lucky.

Spent some time looking it it actually doesnt seem like a bad price. That was just my initial reaction to a 12 yr old bike, having maybe seen only one other ad....

I assume Its Gonna be this way for awhile.
  5. OverSquareEng

OverSquareEng Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If completely stock that might be a little high. If it has been sitting relatively untouched for 2 years I bet they would probably negotiate down some. Again as others have said the vehicle market is up all around.

But if it has some "value added" mods, then it may not be too bad of a price. 12k is pretty low mileage, but right at the first major service. So would be nice to know if that's been done, or if you're on the hook for it.

For reference I bought a 2009 F800GS with 22k miles for $5k, with a healthy list of upgrades.

Ohlins FKA fork cartridges
    Ohlins shock
    Scotts risers and SUB mount (Sans damper)
    Touratech handguards
    Touratech breathable high comfort seat
    Wolfman loop pannier racks (now unobtanium as they stopped making them)
    Caribou rear rack
    Pelican cases for top and sides.
    BMW Accessories Titanium Akrapovic exhaust.Sounds wicked! Very throaty.
    Light weight Remus header
    Wunderlich Performance Controller
    SW mototech center stand
    SW mototech crash guards
    Woody's Wheel Works front wheel
    Peels likes this.
  6. Tim - DO THE TON

Tim - DO THE TON Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sold a 2010 F800ST (I know, not the same thing but it kinda is) for $3200 a few months back. Bought it for that a year earlier.

From what I recall, people said avoid the years when the engines were painted silver. Might be an ST specific thing but there were engine issues in the earlier years.

Not sure how many long distance rides he's going to do, but having ridden many motorcycles including my trusty R75/6 (1000cc now), an R1200ST briefly, the F800ST, KLR650... I still go to my DRZ400S for the most fun.

You can ride any motorcycle down a gravel road. There's nothing about a GS that makes it better at a fire road than any other motorcycle with the right tires on it and ABS switched off. I'd leave all the prone to failure electronics behind and keep it deadly simple. The R1200ST I recently sold had a failed fuel pump 16 months after it had been replaced by BMW. Thankfully I was able to take advantage of a recall and got it replaced for free before selling it. The fuel level sensor failed as well, and who knows what would be next. The simplest of failures (including the coded ignition key) will leave the bike useless at the side of the road with no ability to repair it.

I'm a big BMW fan, but not the wizbang computerized ones.

Lots of mid size ADV bikes out there that could be had for less than a $6000 12 year old computerized BMW. Or plunk down $10K and buy a brand new Ténéré.

Or invest and find a nice R80GS that will appreciate in value and be wicked fun on anything he could possibly find to ride it on.
    Peels likes this.
  7. dsrydr

dsrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Price sounds high but if it is in good condition that is pretty low miles. I would offer 5k or a little less and then have it looked over and serviced and you would have a great bike. I have a f650gs twin since new and now is a second bike but it has always been rock solid reliable. 36k miles.
  8. Turp

Turp Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Used motorcycle prices are trending slightly higher this year compared to last year when I was looking. I was considering pretty much all the recent model ADV bikes that's been on market. I've been pleased so far with my F700GS and impressed overall with the engineering and seemingly maintenance friendliness of the bike.

Out of continuing curiosity, I've been surveying the sale ads this year and there's still some motivated sellers out there. $6,000 is close if the bike is "road ready" has a recent full service and service records which would be few at that mileage. For me, I'd consider equipped preferred accessories and the cost of needed service along in my offer. You might also consider a F700GS; also a very solid performer if it meets your needs.
  9. Peels

Peels Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for the info guys.

Seller says it Will need service. Dirt oriented tires that will need replaced. (Looks like Metzeler Karoo)

has motech panniers and top box. sergeant seat.

it seems pretty nice but needs things obviously.... methinks $5k-5500 HOPE to have time to look this or next weekend. ZERO hurry here. Its been on the market awhile, but at the same time, its Not often bikes like this come up for sale around us though.
  10. Peels

Peels Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here’s a photo. Messaged the seller this morning. We’ll see what happens. :)

IMG_5624.jpg
  11. Turp

Turp Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks good. Barring any serious issues, sounds like you're on track.

The F700GS I bought sat for a while. The seller demonstrated it was rideable (solid mechanically). It still required extensive service. Some DIY and shopping around saved a lot of money.
  12. GJGSRider

GJGSRider carver

Oddometer:
    I have a 2009 F800GS with 67000 miles. It burns up alternators every 25000 miles or so. Easy to repair.
    Bike runs like a top.