2009 GSA No Start

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by HaJo, Aug 1, 2020 at 2:33 PM.

1. HaJo

HaJo n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a 2009 R1200GSA that I put into long term storage about 2 years ago. I am bringing it out now and it won't start. I have spark and air so it must be fuel. Fuel is fresh. Fuel pump doesn't appear to spin both on controller and with a home-made bypass. So I think that is the problem. However, when I put a meter on the controller output, I only get 10 volts while the bike cranks. Is this normal? Are there alternatives to the OEM fuel pump ($400+) or am I missing something else?
  2. herndonp

herndonp Metal Knees

Oddometer:
  3. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fuel stabilizer is not mentioned, and given that you can't hear the fuel pump charge or prime, that pump is likely stuck

You can try bumping it with reverse polarity a few or more times, only momentarily each time however. Occasionally that can dislodge an otherwise gummed up pump.

If not, aftermarket replacement units are available aplenty. BBY, Hiflow, and others.
    Callisto224 likes this.
  4. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lots of good fuel pump info in this video (this video shows a fuel float, you have a fuel strip but pump is basically the same).

ultane and eri like this.
  5. HaJo

HaJo n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks lewsjr1! I did put stabilizer in the fuel when I put the bike up. I hit the pump with reversed polarity and it spun. It must have been stuck as now it spins great with normal polarity. The bike starts and runs fine now.

One last question. Do you think it is safe to trust this pump or should I carry a spare just to be safe?
    eri and Callisto224 like this.
  6. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    Since bike was in the storage, that's most likely why the pump got stuck... If you'll ride the bike more/less frequently, you should be ok with the pump...

If it is going to make you feel better to carry a spare, then, you could do that too... :thumb
  7. Callisto224

Callisto224 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would trust your current pump. Besides, carrying a spare will pretty much guarantee you'll never need it!

:lol3
    HaJo and lewisjr1 like this.
  8. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm gen. in agreement with the above. Odds are now that it's running it'll continue to do so.

Were I trekking on a great adventure, then I'd definitely take a spare. For any trip that doesn't risk an overly expensive tow, I'd not bother.

BMW MoA or similar offers protection for the tow-risk; not perfect, but reasonable.
    Callisto224 likes this.