2009 KLR 650 wont start

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hunter115, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Hunter115

Hunter115 n00b

Oddometer:
    So I just got back from a three day adventure ride with my brother had no issues with the bike during the trip. took it off-road, cruising, and highway driving not one hick-up. Now, since i got back i have changed the spark plug out and took it for one more spin around the neighborhood, and around 20 after the start of the trip the bike completely dies on me. There was nothing that i could do in order to get it to start back up. Had to get a trailer to haul it back home. Now it just sits there, i have charge in the battery, and spark from the spark plug. It turns over fine but it wont start. I've also taken the carburetor out and cleaned it to the best of my abilities. As a last ditch effort I added some gas straight to the spark plug and hooked everything back up and then it ran only under throttle. the moment i let off it died again.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
  2. Chaos-in-ID

Chaos-in-ID Who knows Thats the fun of it

Oddometer:
    Could be a stuck float or your vac operated pedcock.
  3. gmiguy

gmiguy You rode a what to where?

Oddometer:
    Is it sending fuel to the combustion chamber? You can check for gasoline on the spark plug after cranking, and also look/smell for fuel at the exhaust outlet after cranking.

If the answer is "no" then start at the tank and work downwards:
    • Fuel in the tank (silly to ask but more than one person has done a full diagnostic on a vehicle that was just out of gas)
    • Tank breather working
    • Fuel flowing through the line
    • Petcock opening (for diagnostic purposes you can just bypass it)
    • Fuel in the carb inlet line
    • Fuel in the float bowl

If all of the above checks out then you can get into carb internals. However, I wouldn't pursue that until you determine whether you're reliably sending fuel to the metering device.
  4. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    62298 in lovely corrupt/bankrupt Southern Illinois
    Check for a failed vacuum petcock......pretty common on the KLR. You can check it by pulling the small hose off the carburetor that mounts to the petcock and then remove the fuel line from the carb. Turn the fuel valve on, suck on the small hose and gasoline should flow out of the gas line.....if not, your vacuum controlled petcock is not working properly. A Yamaha Raptor non-vacuum petcock will be a perfect replacement that is foolproof.

You can also remove the fuel line, crank the engine, and see if fuel flows from the fuel line.
    9Realms and Boatman like this.
  5. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put the old plug back in and see what happens.
  6. Hunter115

Hunter115 n00b

Oddometer:

Had fuel in every part as i took it back apart. now sure what you mean by carb internals tho.
    Thanks for the reply!
  7. Hunter115

Hunter115 n00b

Oddometer:

Tried and had same result...
    Thanks for the reply!
  8. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    62298 in lovely corrupt/bankrupt Southern Illinois
    spokester likes this.
  9. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    all I can add to the list of things to check is air cleaner

you put fuel in the plug hole & it ran so ignition appears to be working.

open the drain on the carb (3mm Allen I think) and after it quits draining, crank the engine and see if more fuel comes out as it should. check the vacuum line between the petcock and manifold... there should never be any fuel in that line
  10. road hammer

road hammer have map will travel

Oddometer:
    open the tank and listen for a whoosh of air indication a blocked tank vent (vacuum when running). also check underneath the front of the swingarm that the carb vent isn't blocked with mud
  11. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    its an 09.... the Gen II supposedly had the T mod done stock
  12. razor8250

razor8250 lost adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi every one I have a 1996 klr 650 it ran fine sat a year now won't start on own or with choke but can spray either an work throttle an make run but won't idle if u try choke it kills it cleaned carb all ports are clear tried it same thing bought another carb ebay same thing so then took and diped carb took and tried best parts from both carbs no change no start no idle unless forced to run and all safeties on clutch an kickstand disabled petcock mod also done it sat the year low on oil an very dirty oil is it possible the stator or pulser is rusted or covered in sludge possibly I don't think the stator is bad because it charges when running I have digital volunteer on dash shows 13 13.5 when riding the only other thing is it blew main fuse because of bad hid headlight right when I started it after sitting could the cdi b bad from light shorting out thanks
  13. razor8250

Oddometer:
    Also doo done dg muffler l mod on breather jetted 22c mod slide drilled pcv mod t mod petcock made manual
  14. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    Run a small wire through the pilot jet. Something like a guitar string. You'll probably push out some crud. You don't have to remove the carburetor. Just loosen the clamps and turn it sideways, BUT be careful not to break the choke cable elbow- you can slip it off to the side.

You're not getting fuel. Either a failed petcock, the bowl isn't filling or the pilot is plugged.
  15. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your carb is gummed up from sitting with gas in it. Needs to cleaned.
  16. razor8250

Oddometer:
    I have 2 carbs cleaned both ran wire thru both can watch carb cleaner spray out all passages including 4 idle ports in throats of carbs when motor sprayed with either with out carb just barley tried to run I think it's a weak spark
  17. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    I had an FZR with weak spark. I removed the resistors from the spark plug caps and replaced it with a small screw cut to length. That fixed it.