Sold 2009 KTM 990 Adventure - Lowered price

Discussion in 'Bikes' started by RoundOz, May 26, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    SOLD SOLD SOLD
    4CB22288-CCCD-44AA-9092-0C16C754EF33.jpeg
    PRICE LOWERED
    If I didn’t need the money I would never sell this bike. Maybe the Scratch Lottery industry will intervene and I can take it off the market, but until then here is the product of years of fully serviced, well maintained and thoughtfully modified dedication to arguably the best 1000cc Adventure bike that will ever be made. I apologize for the length of this post but it describes how (and why) I have dedicated most of my spare time since 2010.

You won’t see much bling here - everything I have replaced has been as a result of a lot of thought and research into building my version of the ultimate big bore dirt bike.

My improvements have centered around handling, power, smooth slow speed off-road tractability, fuel range, weight reduction, night riding safety, storage capacity, crashability, camping capability, tool and parts storage and bullet-proofness, if that was a word.

It has taken me to two KTM Adventure rallies, parts of the COBDR and Moab and a few rougher places that don’t have names and (after the fuel pump was replaced under warranty) never let me down.

Enough guff. Here are the details:

I bought the bike new in 2010 and it has something less than 24,000 miles (I’m still riding it when my honey-do list allows). Clear title in hand.

Serviced usually twice a year by me regardless of sometimes low accumulated miles - nothing against KTM trained mechanics but I’m 3 hours from the closest one and I guarantee I am more meticulous and care more. It’s my butt on the seat after all...Motorex oil and coolant - not a place to go cheap.

General condition - this is no garage, Starbucks or trailer queen but always sleeps inside when I’m home. If I get it out of the garage I’m looking for dirt roads or trails. It has never been crashed but I’ve dropped it a few times when my slow-speed skill ran out. The replaceable tank guards show a few battle scars but you have to be looking for them. The photos show the bike washed but not really cleaned - as I said, I’m still riding it and my world is too busy for primping and polishing, but a little of the latter would bring it up pretty much as-new.

It currently wears a Pirelli Scorpion Rally front, almost new, and a 150 K60 rear about half worn. Craig at CJ Designs hand cut this tire to semi-block the center strip and add extra sipes along the edges - it performs like the more off-road style 140 with much better tread life. I’m guessing it has at least another couple thousand miles of good traction.

The rear rim is standard, no dings and very few small scratches. The front is a 1.85 Takesago, superlaced at Woodies with HD spokes. Maybe some small scratches (haven’t looked too close) but no dings. I only air down to about 20-25 off-road and usually avoid the bigger rocks. HD tubes.

High fender and SX fork guards

One brake disc and caliper removed to reduce unsprung mass. New SE master cylinder to suit the single brake. There is still ample stopping power in any situation, there is a little more brake feel on loose dirt and the ABS still works. There is a push button on the left grip to quickly disable the ABS if you forget to do it until half way down a scrabbly hill. New pads about 1500 miles ago. Original equipment is available to refit but why would you?

Lights. This is lighting upgrade V5.0 or thereabouts. Very happy with it. It’s compact with a nice cutoff to not blind other road users (until you want to). Hella Hi-Lo projector and high beam reflector fitted with LED bulbs. These are 60mm Hellas - bigger than the Touratech rally kit. Light bar throws a nice compact beam. Cutoff switches for everything in the cockpit. Relays fitted. Wiring is my trade so this is all done right. Indicators are light,compact,flexible LEDs.

The screen is shortened and painted. For me, 6ft, 34” inseam with an Arai XD4, this is just right for airflow without buffeting and still enough protection for navigation equipment. I have an original screen somewhere.

I will probably keep the Garmin Zumo 595’s custom protective case I made but we can negotiate. It’s mounted on a Ram ball which gives you options. Rounding out the controls area is the HDB top clamp and guards with folding mirrors fitted and KTM heated grips. A spare switch in the center and one near the left grip. I have HDBs taller bar risers and added my own custom riser that moves the bars a couple of inches further forward as well. Obviously this is all easily changed to suit the buyer’s tastes. I love it as it is.

I had Suspension 101 stretch the forks and shock to R spec (265mm) while rebuilding and revalving to suit my use and weight (semi loaded bike, 200 pound rider without gear - although I rarely ride naked - not since....the incident). George rides a 990 himself and did a spectacular job with the spring rates and damping. One of the best improvements possible. The best oil and seals. The bigger sideways hits are handled by the Ralle Moto steering damper. It just works and I replaced the oil and seals in it about 1500 miles ago - routine service. The longer suspension demanded longer stands and the side stand is my one-off adjustable unit with a tilting big foot to prevent sinking. Pretty proud of that piece.

I’ve been running a Rekluse auto clutch for some time. I don’t think I would run anything offroad without one now. During my last winter maintenance I decided to upgrade to the EXP 3.0 version. I noticed some slight chatter marks on the basket so I installed a HD billet basket from CJ Designs (this makes the old basket look like it’s a different gender and I don’t think you can buy these anymore) along with a new hub, friction plates, and all new bearings. Nothing was out of spec but...I am what I am. CJ’s mechanical artistry was extended to the clear titanium clutch cover. Not bling, I swear - it helps me keep an eye on the oil condition. While I was in there I installed CJ’s water pump kit. Again, this was for peace of mind and the old shaft, seals and impeller were in good shape.

During that same service I had the injectors professionally cleaned and flow-checked. Speaking of the fuel system, the airfilter is now a Rottweiler foam filter system. Coupled with the Remus Titanium 2-1, dB killer removed, Powertripp map and G2 throttle tamer, not only is the delivery very tractable off-idle for slow speed work, but the midrange and top end have improved markedly. My seat of the pants feeling is that if standard is 105 HP and an R model is 113, this is probably north of 120. It is enough anyway. And then some. Last I checked it was getting 40+ mpg on the highway.

Feeding the fuel are Safari tanks that hold something more than 12.5 gallons and are fitted with prefilter socks. These tanks are actually lighter than oem and if you only half fill them, which equals more than 200 miles range, the fuel mass is lower than the stock tanks. I rebuilt the fuel pump at the last service - new filters and o-rings etc. The only time this bike sees ethanol is when I have no other options and that is rare.

For luggage - standard KTM tankbag has been non-standardized. I finally got tired of struggling with the tiny base zip so I developed a quick-release system using leather “hinges” on both sides and fiberglass pins. It takes just a couple of seconds to pull the pins and you can carry the bag with you. I keep my camera gear inside so...

The zip is still functional but now serves no added purpose. The front of the bag has an SAE 2-pin socket to plug in to 12 volts. The rear of the bag has a heated clothing socket. Inside the bag is a splitter for charging phones etc. On top, under the clear map cover, is an LED display of battery voltage- I don’t like extra instrument lighting in my eyes at night and this sits just below eye-level to remove the distraction. So the tankbag basically functions as a power hub.

Panniers - originally I installed Jesse boxes. These are excellent but when I decided to switch to soft bags I wanted to keep the very narrow Jesse racks. I modified the Mosko Moto Backcountry 35 bags to do away with the heavy mounting plate. The bags have a thin but very strong aluminum plate inside, bent at an angle to take advantage of the tiered Jesse racks and allow them to be secured and quick-released like the Jesse boxes. The result is the narrowest set of large pannier bags I have seen, as they hug the sides of the bike very well, and stay rigidly and securely attached. Takes about a minute to get them both off or on.

Storage - along with the Rottweiler intake, I added the Snapout, so the glovebox assembly is quick release for maintenance. Behind the filter is the Dog Box and to the rear of that is an underseat storage box. Taking the place of the left muffler is my custom oval toolbox. The lid has an o-ring and a secret lock. All of this storage allows me to keep a good range of spares parts and tools always on the bike.

Lower protection is taken care of by the famously strong Weld86 bashplate with added cooling holes and a custom rear master cylinder cover. CJ’s sidestand relocator takes the load completely off the engine case, just like the others don’t. His quick-change oil hose makes servicing easy.

The Seat Concepts seat needs no explanation and neither do the custom wide foot pegs.
    I added a second cooling fan

The chain and sprockets have about 1500 miles on them and the gearing is 15/47 - a little lower than stock and a real sweet-spot in the search for on and off road combination.

The $7900 I am asking doesn’t come close to covering the cost of the improvements. The buyer will also receive a good range of spare parts and some of the stock pieces I have removed, a full printed manual as well as the CD, the original documents case, manual and parts fiche books, TuneEcu cable, all the spare keys and I think I even still have the KTM orange pen.

STOP PRESS - I forgot to mention that I installed what I consider to be the best battery money could buy - an EarthX 36. Cranks harder than the OEM Yuasa, loses less energy over time, has over and under voltage protection AND saves several pounds in weight.
    Also, all canister and SAS equipment has been removed

You will be hard pressed to find a better off-road V-twin. It is located in far western Nebraska, about 3.5 hours from Denver and I can deliver up to a 500 mile radius.
    SnowMule, jpr, AndrewMacc and 3 others like this.
  2. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    More images DAFCD2BA-D095-4991-94AC-3E1698478BCD.jpeg C858E51F-524D-4292-87F9-969EF82496E9.jpeg 77F9FCF0-3410-457D-8791-30579B6DF18C.jpeg
    SunshineTom, Wierdrider and Amphib like this.
  3. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    32744A9C-E0B4-4656-A3BB-4F08063A45A4.jpeg And more: 5A0EAA05-E36D-40DA-8EF1-9F0B7B7ACBE3.jpeg 239D26DB-2459-408A-8A4C-DE32A1CCA156.jpeg 1B95DA0B-4F44-4FDF-A5BC-9B7AE5F85C5D.jpeg 447B2188-789D-4A20-9090-022CD5A12AAE.jpeg
    Wierdrider, ridepjride and Amphib like this.
  4. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    B7AB530D-EFF6-49AA-AAE7-0ECF4E23EC41.jpeg 8282D22F-5354-4EA3-994E-7B8B14499091.jpeg 4214A80B-FE03-44A4-97DD-7C441D92AD54.jpeg
    Allrpm likes this.
  5. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    B5B603A0-D12E-4572-B3B8-2C798ECBA880.jpeg B2E1CCEE-28AF-406F-84C1-BC872897C088.jpeg
    Wierdrider, SLONOBS and ridepjride like this.
  6. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope you hit your scratcher soon, otherwise, I hope I hit mine so I can buy this way cool Katoom!
  7. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Lowered price
  8. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Bump
  9. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a chance to ride with the oz last weekend. It’s accurately described above. As I told him I’m a big fan of the sound of horse power and the sound riding behind him is absolutely amazing.
  10. Golevi

Golevi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can attest that this bike has been maintained to the highest standard, and the modifications have been not only well thought out, but installed with extreme care. Bottom line, this is a great bike for a great price!
  11. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Bump
  12. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Bump
  13. riceless

riceless Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    I have not seen a better set up 990 than yours. Incredible! If I had unlimited time and $$$ I would have chosen most all of the same mods. Even the B&W color scheme. I don't need it, wouldn't use it as intended, shouldn't buy it, wish I'd never seen it, but I really, really want it! Nice Build and good luck with the sale.:thumbup
    BiggieFalls likes this.
  14. the maestro

the maestro Mountain Biker

Oddometer:
    Your post says the suspension is set up for 200 pound rider without gear. Does that mean 200 pounds without riding gear, or without gear in boxes/bags? Do you notice a difference in the suspension between full fuel (12 gallons!) and close to empty? Also, would you drive as far as Billings? Sheridan? Thanks for the info. Nice bike!
  15. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Hopefully this answer won’t be deleted by the mod for over-bumping but I will copy it in a pm to you too.
    I guess what I meant by the suspension weight rating is that I am currently 200 pounds, about 20 pounds over what I told Suspension 101 was my intended weight (and I did end up dieting down to about 185 at the time). I also told them I wanted the springs rated for half of my traveling load - soft bags plus camping gear, armored suit and helmet, half full of fuel - as this is how I usually hit off-road riding. I like to travel and set up camp to unload the bike but I usually find myself getting some hardcore roads fully loaded. The difference is about 10 turns on the rear shock preload.
    You do feel the weight a little between full and half full, and I generally keep the tanks about half full when I know I will be going offroad. That being said I have done some pretty gnarly boulder fields in the Rockies with almost full tanks. KTM really KNOWS what they are doing.
    I’d be happy to haul it to Sheridan or Billings if you help out with fuel
  16. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    Please tell us about the orange rods riveted to your tank bag harness?
  17. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    I was wondering too since the zippers on those things suck. The seller posted this in the description:

"For luggage - standard KTM tankbag has been non-standardized. I finally got tired of struggling with the tiny base zip so I developed a quick-release system using leather “hinges” on both sides and fiberglass pins. It takes just a couple of seconds to pull the pins and you can carry the bag with you. I keep my camera gear inside so...'
    dino702 likes this.
  18. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    I love the size and construction of the KTM bag on a 990-sized bike, but hated the zipper, especially as I would keep a lot of valuables in there and wanted to take it with me into places for lunch. Lining up the zipper again to reinstall was always a pain. What you see is two halves of two leather hinges. There is some plastic pex tubing in the hinges so they stay open and round. Half of each hinge is attached the the tankbag and half to the base. It’s simple to line up the hinge halves and slide the hinge pin (cut from fiberglass driveway marker pegs and sharpened to a dull point) into the top and bottom. It’s actually easier than it sounds.
    Also the whole system is inside the footprint of the bag so if you really want to use the zipper you still can. The leather is glued and riveted on.
    dino702 likes this.
  19. AndrewMacc

AndrewMacc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a 2010 990R with safaris set up very much the same but with a few lesser bits. Wasn't getting to ride it much so I sent it up north to South Dakota. Miss the 990 snarl. I look at post every day in lust. Bump for a fellow corn husker...
  20. RoundOz

Oddometer:
    Sold
    Thanks for all the nice comments and bumps.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.