2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by 61ihc, Dec 8, 2017.

1. 61ihc

61ihc n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,

I think this may be my first post. Relatively new rider here. Started out on a 2013 Honda CB500x last year. Sold it early this year and got a 1977 BMW R80 and ended up having a 2009 Stelvio follow me home this fall. Anyway, sorry for the preamble.

I have a habit of being spontaneous so shortly after test riding the Guzzi I risked divorce and bought it anyway:) What a ride! So the bike is beautiful, rides well and looks to be well maintained but I don't believe the flat tappets have been replaced. The bike has 25000km. I've been piecing together information regarding this unfortunate engineering oversight. My situation is such that I am not near a dealer and will most likely be digging into my engine on my own. I wouldn't say I'm a great wrench but don't mind following instructions. I've got a factory service manual but wouldn't mind a link to procedures or videos outlining what I'm in for. Any and all resources for a newb Stelvio owner would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Bo
  2. motomoda

motomoda Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    Not sure how far you are from a dealer, but if you can get it there for inspection, theres a chance you save a fair amount of money by getting the factory to supply the parts.
  4. 61ihc

61ihc n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Motomoda! That's exactly the type of thread I was hoping to find. cheers!
  5. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Like WCB mentioned, a dealer may be able to get Piaggio to cover at least a portion of the repair/parts. It's a day trip to Seattle, Moto International there is one of the better Guzzi places and has been around a long time. Not sure of where other good options may be located, but they have proper capabilities in repairs and/or getting you the right kit (different years require different assemblies). Good luck, I loved my 09 and it had the best of performance and looks of all the configurations and is just a bit lacking on petrol capacity.

Cheers
  6. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard. Good luck getting Piaggio to cover the repairs. Mine had 11k miles AND had the tappets replaced under warranty earlier, took it apart at 12.5k and all tappets showed the coating coming off. I guess sometimes you have to bite the bullet. Did mine by myself after repeatedly watching the tutorial and PM's with P Roper. Not hard but may be out of reach for some. Worth every penny, not many stay with her when the pace picks up.