2009 Yamaha Tmax 500!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by rs-mn, Jun 6, 2008.

1. adoptamutt

adoptamutt Adventurer

Oddometer:

Since my high side in 2009, I really don't go on long rides anymore. So I don't need a big scooter like the T-Max. Also, as I near 60 years of age, I appreciate a step thru scooter like my HD200 over the center hump on the TMax. On the other hand, I like the power of the Tmax over the HD200 so ultimately the perfect Goldilocks solution for me would be something like a People GTi300 :evil
  2. TheReaper!

TheReaper! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I still have mine a 2009 yellow , bought it new in 09 . Don't drive it much it has like 3000 miles on it , I listed it on CL for $5,000 firm , I've gotten several offers for $4,500 but turned them down . I would rather just keep it than sell it for less than $5,000 , because it's a nice back up bike . The Tmax is a nice bike but I like my 650 Burgman better . When I do take it out I'm always glad I still have it , truth is you can't really find any thing much better for the price people want to pay . I have 2 650 Burgs , 2 Big Ruckus , 1 tmax , and 1 Silverwing . What else is there ?

TheReaper!
  3. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    Wow, that is a nice scooter collection. :clap
  4. piedevant

piedevant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Clearly 'a man of wealth and taste' after my own heart! FWIW I have a Mk2 Tmax, a Mk3 Tmax, a Mk1 Burg 650 and a very special Burg 650 with a roof, BMW C1 screen & seatbelts and a Honda Prelude car seat, + a Mk1 Silver Wing which has done about 140,000 miles.
    But in answer to your question 'What else is there?' I say:
    the BMW C600 Sport & C650GT
    the astonishing C Evo electric superscooter
    the MkIV Tmax530
    The Honda Vultus 750
    It seems extraordinary that 3 years after I had the huge pleasure of riding the Tmax530 in and around LA during the world launch it is still not available in the USA! http://www.bikeweb.com/image/tid/145
    PNB
  5. TheReaper!

Oddometer:
    Even if the newer model Tmax was available here I wouldn't buy one , the ergonomics just don't match up with me all that well . While I like the Tmax , I don't like spending more than an hour or so in the saddle . The same with the Silverwing , with the stock seats neither are what I would consider a touring bike . All things considered FOR ME the 650 Burg is hands down the best all around bike that's available today , and I mean scooters or motorcycles . A lot of people won't even look at the 650 Burg because of the cost of a CVT repair , or they want some thing that burns less fuel etc. etc. . I don't really care about any of that , first and foremost I just want the most comfortable ride . Then a bike that can carry tons of stuff so I can use it for more than an occasional joy ride . One of these days I'll have to stop by the BMW dealer and see their scooters up close and personal .

TheReaper!
  6. piedevant

piedevant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FWIW, the Tmax530's ergos are subtly different from the Mk3's just as that was different from the Mk1&2, with a slightly more lean-forward position; the 530 I think was the best yet, although I didn't get the chance to ride it nearly as far as I've ridden all the others. On Monday I rode 120 miles up the motorway to Birmingham at 90+mph most of the way, then rode back again at the end of the day at pretty much the same speed. But I have put my own extension on the Mk3 which is absolutely essential to high speed comfort. http://bikeweb.com/node/2479
    I'm a big fan of the Burger King too; you can't beat it for carrying capacity and I really like having the power button for both extra acceleration and more engine braking in the wet. I spent a week racing mine right across France in the 2003 Moto Tour de France, which included racing at 3 circuits, including Le Mans and about 40 closed road special stages day and night, rain and dry. I wish I'd had the ABS, electric screen, mirrors and heated seat and grips which came along later!
    http://bikeweb.com/node/1823
    http://bikeweb.com/node/1714
    http://bikeweb.com/image/tid/56
    PNB
  7. TheReaper!

Oddometer:

I'm thinking of adding this http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1059
  8. raymondtco

raymondtco n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi I am looking to buy a 2009 TMAX, preferrably yellow. I am located in Berkeley, CA. I am open to traveling to meet you as long as you are in California or somewhere not super far. Feel free to text me at 408-673-0142 or email me at raymondtco@gmail.com. Thanks!
  9. Dezzie

Dezzie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Piedvant, are you paul blezard? If so please write some articles for twist & Go magazine, its dire and nothing special is being written, mostly Chinese crappy manual bikes that have no relevance to scooters, needs to be like the old days when it was all scooters, tuning and well written stories!
  10. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    i would buy a tmax 530 in a heartbeat if they brought an updated one here.
  11. piedevant

piedevant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Dezzie, yup, that's me!
    I confess I was pretty unimpressed with Twist & Go's recent 'maxiscooter comparison test' in which they chose not to print the opinions of the most experienced riders and instead provided a lot of useless and irrelevant blurb, written by someone with zero experience, about why the vulnerable toothed belt on a 530 is superior to an exposed chain in obvious ignorance of the fact that all the previous Tmaxes have had a chain running in an oil bath which never needs any maintenance whatsoever!

Which brings me to the main reason for this post.....
    My Mk3 (2008) Tmax has provided sterling service to me for the past 5 years, with barely a glitch in all that time (apart from the dodgy fuel pump and broken cooling fan). It now has over 30,000 miles (50,000kms) under its wheels, but has been maintained reasonably OK with all the important stuff being done when it should. Now I have a mysterious major problem with the electrics.
    The original battery 'died' a couple of months ago and I replaced it with a new one with no problems.
    Then, last month, I came out to the bike one morning and it was completely dead.
    I assumed I must have left the parking lights on by mistake (it's happened before) so I charged up the battery.
    But even with a fully charged battery the Tmax was hard to start, which was very unusual – the fuel-injected Tmaxes usually fire up instantly on both cylinders even after months of neglect, even on ancient stale petrol/gas.
    However, this time it started reluctantly on 1 cylinder and then slowly came back onto both cylinders.
    Then I went for a ride and the bike lasted 300metres before it died completely - no electrics!
    I checked all the fuses, on the left of the battery (as you look at it, so actually the right hand side of the bike), and lubricated them, but none were blown. Then I discovered that if I moved the thick cable to the starter solenoid, on the right, all the electrics suddenly came back to life.
    I changed the adjacent 30amp solenoid fuse (even though it was not broken) and squirted AC-50 in the vicinity.
    The Tmax restarted OK, so I went for another ride. This time it lasted about a mile before it 'died' again with complete electrical failure, so I had to push it home!
    (By now I'd realised that this was the problem all along and I had not left the lights on earlier as I'd previously assumed.)

Fortunately this did not happen on my way to the airport the next day – I was able to use my 140,000mile Silver Wing for that essential purpose instead!
    Yesterday, 3 weeks later, I had a look at the Tmax. Nothing had been touched in the meantime, but when I turned the ignition it came back to life again and started (slowly) on the button! I rode it about a mile around the block, with no problems, but I dare not ride it any further until this mystery has been solved! Any ideas? I presume it must be some sort of bad connection, bad earth or perhaps even a half-rotted cable!
    Anyone else ever heard of this type of problem on a Tmax before?!
    PNB
    PS While I'm on, anyone with access to the February issue of British Dealer News (in the UK, obvs) might enjoy reading my article on the joys of maxiscooters, aimed at waking up dealers to all the sales they're missing out on. I'm delighted the editor decided to give it the full two page spread it deserved (p.30-31), but dismayed that he didn't use the great publicity shot I gave him of 15 times world champion Giacomo Agostini on the Tmax530 that Yamaha gave him for his 70th birthday a couple of years ago! This one:
    http://www.bikeweb.com/node/2621
  12. Dezzie

Dezzie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please join the UK maximuppets forum, you will be a breath of fresh air! P.s I was one of the first in the UK with a mk3 tmax, provided a lot of people on here with useful info long before the U.S got them in, my posts very early in the beginning of this thread, loved my TMAX, spent 3.5k in custom mods and tuning, sold it a few years ago and was my biggest regret, not had a great experience since and had a few new motorbikes since then, skint now so pedalling around until I win the lotto or fix my monkeybike! As for your problem, not heard of it, plenty tmax experts on the muppets forum though!:clap
  13. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had my Tmax for a few months and have only put about 1k miles on it.(I'm having back surgery in a few weeks that will curb me for a few months at least). Yesterday I removed the little backrest and base from the seat and it's like riding a completely different bike. I'm thinking that while I'm down I may have Russell build me a sport seat for the bike. The only other upgrade may be to the suspension. After looking at the rear shock it looks like swapping it could be a huge PITA.
  14. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    leeinmemphis,

That is a nice collection that you have in your signature. Do you still have all the bikes? I used to have a Zuma 125 but am very interested in the Silverwing and Tmax.
  15. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer

Oddometer:
    yeah still have them. I have givi sidecases, givi airflow windscreen, heated grips, heated Russell seat and a few others on the silverwing. I bought it with bad paint and had been down on both sides so I painted it with roll on safety yellow rustoleum paint. I only have about $3k tied up into it and am hoping to use it for my longer trips. I want to use it some to make sure it will do that task well before I sold the Buell.

I love the Zuma. I bought it used with a bunch of upgrades. I couple I have taken off like the Two Bros exhaust. I just upgraded the front forks and rear shocks. The bike is more capable of anything than I am these days.Main reason for suspension upgrades is due to an upcoming 2 level spinal fusion in a few weeks. I needed something that rode very smooth. It's not 100% but it's 80% of what I hoped for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer

Oddometer:
    has anyone done any seat modifications? I took off the rider backrest and my tailbone gently hits the end of the seat base. I have a date set for a Russell day long sport saddle on it. Just curious if there are any other idea/options before I go and drop $800 into a custom saddle? In a few weeks I'm having back surgery so the seat being off and gone for a few weeks isn't really an issue for me. I imagine the zuma will be my ride once I'm able to get back on one.
  17. piedevant

piedevant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think your $800 would be much better spent going into a ComforTmax conversion! See here, for the original Mk1 conversion, done in 2002-2005, which I had the great pleasure of covering several hundred miles on:
    http://www.bikeweb.com/image/tid/37
    and here for the 2010 conversion of a Mk3 Tmax, which has since been ridden all over Europe, but sadly, not at all by me!:
    http://www.bikeweb.com/image/tid/114
    This is a much less radical, and much cheaper way of making a ComforTmax, which also has the merit of leaving the front of the machine untouched, which I have ridden. A bit cramped if you're more than about 5ft9 though:
    http://www.bikeweb.com/image/tid/74
    PNB
  18. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer

Oddometer:
    piedevant.....I just can't bring myself to do that to my tmax. I am hoping the seat will make a big diffeerence. I would also like to find some sort of a set of bar risers and possibly heated grips. For now that's all I plan to add to the tmax.

I would like to consider a better riding rear shock but I don't want to try changing that shock out. It looks like a pretty big job.
  19. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Dezzie

Dezzie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think your wrong fella, there are loads of tmax pages on facebook, mainly foreign I admit but type in tmax in the search box at the top of the fb page and dozens come up, some with 1000s of followers, tuners and modders!