2009 Yamaha Tmax 500!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by rs-mn, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Dezzie

Dezzie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Elefant

Elefant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. Texan1948

Texan1948 Molon Labe

Oddometer:
    Greetings all,
    I have just picked up a 2015 T Max. The way home I took a longer route putting 20 miles on the clock. The first impressions are very positive.
  4. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new ride!

Take lots of pics and start a new thread or put it in the 2015 tmax thread.
  5. piedevant

piedevant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interested to hear that the Mk4 Tmax530 is finally available in the US!
    How much did you pay for it?
    I thought it was truly bizarre that the international launch of the machine was held in LA, back in December 2011, with journos flown in from all over the world to ride the excellent new superscoot, but then discovered from Yamaha USA that they were not going to import the bike themselves! So, 3 years later they've finally done it. I trust it comes with ABS? This is a pic from the launch:
    http://www.bikeweb.com/node/2402
    PNB
  6. Riko

Riko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hi all,

I'm a Burgman 650 user, here she is:
    [​IMG]

And I actually love it for all its famous advantages - storage in abundance, the electric adjustable windscreen and the folding mirrors.

It also has heated seats and grips and a 12V plug.
    I also use a GPS system.

All in all, it has all the comfort you can imagine on a bike/scooter.

+ it has good acceleration.
    In town, where I spent most of my time, I can outrun almost any car (except sub 7 sec 0-60mph sportcars).

That said, the Tmax is by far the best looking motoscoot out there.
    And while a switch from a Burgman 650 to a Tmax would be a step backwards in terms of confort and pure "performance", I still would consider one.
    Also mainly because my technician told me that he does a premature replacement of the belt at around 70.000 for a cost of 2000 euro.
    Although its meant to last a lifetime, there are stories of it failing and so he does it as a precaution for damaging other parts.

Thinking ahead, I might buy a Tmax before that expensive maintenance service comes along...

Things like heated grips and a GPS and 12V would still be available on a Tmax, just like a heated seat it seems:
    [​IMG]
    http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/produ...ccessories&partcode=2PW-FHTST-01-00&year=2015
    The windscreen seems to be (could be wrong) the part where it would be worse on a Tmax than on a 650 Burg...I do some highway from time to time with the max speed of my Burg, about 100mph.

All in all, in the luxury department I wouldn't give up too much...:1drink

But my main question is how does the Tmax (latest version: 530cc) compare to the Burgman 650?
    Burgman 650 has 55hp @7500rpm and 62nm @5000rpm
    The Tmax has 45hp @6750rpm and 52nm @5250rpm
    (figures from the engine, not at the wheels)

I was amazed that the Burgman 650 has a 0-60 time of 6,75-7seconds accordig to MCN...
    And the Tmax 9,23 seconds! :huh
    http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/articles/26x32PerfInd_0214.pdf

I thought that sprint would be faster, it felt faster when riding :huh
    Assuming those numbers are right, is there a way of making the Tmax accelerate faster without making it unreliable?
    Via rollers, vario's, etc...
    I am not seeking traditional motorcycle number, just want a number equal or a tad faster than the Burgman 650.

I've red numbers of bellow 6 seconds for a Tmax with different rollers...

The Honda Integra (chain drive :huh) with similar specs as the Brugman 650 is faster according to these numbers on Wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_NC700D_Integra
    5,6 seconds from 0-60mph.
  7. timmie415

timmie415 n00b poster but not rider

Oddometer:
    If all goes as planned, soon my stable will have a new ride :clap

Looking forward to being a true Battle scooter member and not just a free loading lurker!

Hopefully more to come in the near future...
    -Tim
  8. Riko

Riko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow thx for the reply

best board for information here :rolleyes
  9. timmie415

Oddometer:
    At 4 gallons, with an average MPG of 45, I am guessing effective range is 170 freeway miles before desperation sets in for a refuel? Has anyone run theirs empty?

I am picking up a 2009 blue XP500 tomorrow night and plan on riding it from Seattle back here to San Francisco. :clap

In my attempts to plot a course home, I am trying to take into account how far between gas stations I can roll. Plus some areas in the high desert put stops few and far between.

Sláinte,
    -Tim
  10. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    That is something we don't really have to think about on the East Coast. You are never a tank of gas away from a gas station. :eek1
  11. StingerCo

StingerCo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    San Francisco Bay Area via Aptos California
    Congratulations Timmie! I just took delivery the day before yesterday on a 2009 Blue TMax that I purchased from a Honda Dealer in Mt. Vernon Washington. I used STI Tranport (their motorcycle division) to freight it in and selected their "Warehouse to Warehouse" program. The dealer delivered the bike to their Warehouse in Seattle for free and it took one week to get to the local warehouse here in San Jose. Total Freight Cost = $293.87. Not as much fun as driving down the pacific coast but affordable and convenient considering I have to work.

The TMax that I bought has 2400 miles on the clock and I paid $4700.00, which I think is a very good deal. Scoot is like new other than a few little road rash chips which will be no problem to touch up.

So, we are neighbors as I have two homes, one on the peninsula and one on the coast in Aptos. We should get together for a ride sometime.

Again, Congratulations and ride safe.
  12. timmie415

Oddometer:
    Thanks Stinger. 2 Tmax's ripping around the Santa Cruz mountains would be something I would be interested in! Hope yours made it down to you safely. Interesting information about the shipping agency. Hopefully I won't have to look into that :rofl

If you are interested I started a Day Trippin' thread:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1063463

Hopefully no drama will befall me on this road trip. Hate for the ride report to be entertaining due to my own follies.

Happy riding.
    -Tim
  13. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just received my Russell seat on Tuesday. Comfort is 1000% better but may have to send it back for an adjustment. I am sitting just a little too far towards the rear where I am having to reach a little bit. Before 50 miles and I was ready to get off. I rode about 125 miles yesterday and was pretty much ok. The only issue was my back was a bit tired from bending forward(I had a 3 section back fusion 8 weeks ago).
  14. StingerCo

Oddometer:
    Hey Lee, no one knows real pain unless they have had back surgery! Fortunately I didn't need a fusion but had a discectomy on L4/5 in 1996. It was instant relief although I never went to physical therapy because I'm in business for myself and couldn't make the time. The result is I usually throw my back a couple times a year but have learned how to immediately pop a fist full of Advil and ice it for a couple hours for a quick recovery! :-)

Anyway, I once talked with a woman (women have a higher tolerance level to pain than us men) who told me she has had 3 children, open heart surgery and back surgery. Nothing even came close to the pain she suffered from her back prior to her operation.

Best wishes for a continued speedy recovery and just take it easy on that back......for the rest of your life! I let all the young guys do the heavy lifting now!
  15. 1stscoot

1stscoot iscoot

Oddometer:
    Timmie: Congrats on your TMax. I'm in the East Bay and have had my 2009 for 5 years now. Timmie and Stinger, if you don't know, there's a scooter group in the South Bay that does at least monthly rides. Hopefully you have Facebook to view their activities:
    https://www.facebook.com/SouthBayScooterPosse?fref=ts
    https://www.facebook.com/events/364611593734168/

There's other groups in SF and North Bay that do regular rides
    https://www.facebook.com/events/792411800858215/
    https://www.facebook.com/events/347968205403978/

Check them out. Also group rides on Meetup.com, but are motorcycle oriented, maybe scooter friendly.
  16. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone added bar risers to the Tmax? I'm thinking seriously about trying to put a set on there.

StingerCo.....yeah my life is changed indefinitely. I had a motorcycle jack I needed moved the other day. I went to get it and thought heck it probably weighed 40lbs so I called one of the kids to come out and move it for me. lol. Doc said it would be a year until I am fully healed.
  17. StingerCo

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this information 1stScoot! The Southbay Scooter Posse would certainly be convenient for me, I will check them out. There's also a Yahoo group called Santa Cruz Vespa Club that is open to any and all types of scooters. They get together twice monthly, once for a ride and once for a dinner type social (both weather permitting). I'm preparing to retire but remain in the retail business until then so week-ends are a challenge to get away for now. Soon however I will be available for all sorts of these gatherings. I'm working on getting my wife involved in "scooter life" which will make it all the better!
  18. StingerCo

Oddometer:
    I had my first real chance to take a nice ride on the TMAX yesterday as I let my wife sleep in as a Mother's Day Celebration! I have to say, I'm in love with this bike! Now that I'm getting used to the differences in power and braking as compared to the Helix I've been riding for the last eight months the T makes a rider feel so much more secure! She's stable, secure, responsive and just such a pleasure to ride! I'm extremely happy with my newest edition and all I can think about is how I want to ride her!

Here are a few pictures from a stop that I made at the "Old Historic General Store" in Woodside California.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice pics. I like the blue color. Great looking scooter:thumb:thumb
  20. timmie415

Oddometer:
    Hey Stinger, excellent sig you have right now "The 2009 Yamaha TMax XP500, it's a beast disguised as a scooter! And the 1995 Honda Helix CN250 because sometimes it's not how fast you get there, but rather HOW you get there!" No truer words have ever been spoken. Great photos also. Do you have a DMV appointment yet? I am a bit nervous about mine since there has been a few mods on my scoot and Kalifornia be crazy with its rules.

Interesting information about the Scooter clubs around the peninsula 1stscoot. Once I get a chance to take off a few layers of dead bugs collected on my TMax from the ride down here, I'll have to try to make it to one of those meet-ups.