2009 Yamaha Tmax 500!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by rs-mn, Jun 6, 2008.

1. StingerCo

StingerCo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    San Francisco Bay Area via Aptos California
    Welcome home Tim! I have a DMV appointment this Thursday in San Jose, everything close to my homes was over a month out and I want to get this done as soon as possible.

If you go on line to (www.dmv.ca.gov) you can make an appointment and choose from a list of DMV offices throughout the entire state. I just kept choosing offices in the greater bay area until I came across one that had an opening. San Jose happened to be the one.

There are two forms that you will need to print and fill out. The first one is the Title Transfer Form that DMV will help you with when you go in to transfer title. However, there is another form that you print out that must be filled out by an Authorized LEO or inspection office. This form is to basically verify VIN numbers and whether or not the bike is CARB Certified for California Emissions. This office or LEO will fill out the form in it's entirety and no one else is allowed to write ANYTHING on the form or alter it in any way!

I went to the CHP office in Redwood City at 355 Convention Way, Redwood City 94063. Their phone number is (650) 369-6261. I went without an appointment and met an Officer Weber (like the bbq). He told me to come back anytime the following day and he would take care of me. That was last Wednesday, so I went in on Thursday and he graciously helped me out. He had never seen a TMAX as they are fairly rare in California. I suggest that you call the office in advance, see if you can speak with him directly and find out when he will be in the office doing desk work so he could possibly help you as well.

Here's what I brought along. Since the bike is not registered currently, I made a copy of the title. I had already insured the bike through Geico from the day I actually purchased it so I also have a valid insurance card with the bike. I also made a copy of the completed Title Transfer Form that I will be bringing to DMV when I go to transfer it. And lastly, I brought the blank VIN Verification form that he had to fill out completely and sign, so all my paperwork was in order and ready for him to inspect.

Then, there are a few things on the actual bike that he must look at. Together we found the locations of these items, it took a bit of hunting but like I said, he had never seen the TMAX so we were both shooting in the dark. Firstly, there is a label in the seat compartment that will clearly state that your TMAX is 50 State Legal and CARB Certified in California. So he will have to see that. Secondly, there is another label that he will have to see (not sure exactly what it is). But, if you are standing facing the front of the scooter, and get down on your hands and knees and look up under the front fairing above the front fender there is a label on the upper left hand side. He will need to see that and jot down and/or verify some stuff, perhaps that is the VIN. Lastly, he will have to verify the engine number. If you are sitting on the bike, the engine number is stamped (actually cast right into the engine) on the left hand side. So, get on your hands and knees on the side you most likely mount the bike on, look underneath the floor board and you will see the very bottom of the engine. There is a raised, cast series of numbers and or letters right there on the engine and that is what he will need to see.

I don't know what modifications have been done, perhaps exhaust? But in any case he didn't even look at anything else. Just verifying those labels and numbers. He then completed the entire form and gave me explicit instructions not to write on it, sign it or alter it in anyway.

So, I think that I am ready for my DMV Appointment this Thursday. I plan on driving my car to the appointment since all this pre-work has been done. I don't even know if it's necessary to Smog a motorcycle as you would your car here in California but I don't think you have to. Again, I am new to this so it's a learning situation for me as well.

If I run into any problems on Thursday at DMV I will let you know. In the meantime, ride safe and I look forward to meeting up in the future.

To the rest of the forum, sorry for the long winded post. I suppose I could have just messaged Tim with this information saving all this boring stuff from the rest of you.
  2. StingerCo

Oddometer:
    Just to clarify, I just checked the DMV website and motorcycles DO NOT HAVE TO BE SMOGGED IN CALIFORNIA. So Timmie, what ever modifications that have been made to your scooter will go un-noticed as all they are looking for are is the label under the seat that says the bike is California legal and the other label and engine number that I mentioned previously.
  3. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just added a 2009 Tmax to the stable. Love the power and brakes, will take a few rides to get used to the handling. The engine noise is more than I'm used to, as my other scooters are Reflexes.
    It has a Corbin seat and tall windshield. Jury is still out on that. I may try to find a stock seat to compare them.
    Tmaxes are few and far between in my part of Ohio. Probably will never run into other one on the road.
    Mark
  4. TheReaper!

TheReaper! Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I have a yellow 09 with a stock seat and would be interested in trying a Corbin . I live in S.E. Michigan if you get up this way you can check my stock seat and I'll check your Corbin out . Send me a PM if you do .

TheReaper!
  5. bikeridermark

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan! I need an excuse for a road trip. Now if the weather will just cooperate.
  6. StingerCo

Oddometer:
    Congratulations Mark! I really am liking the TMax. So much that I rarely ride the Helix anymore. I find the TMax so comfortable and easy to ride.

I have done a few things to the scoot since last shown. First of all, the previous owner must have had trouble getting his foot high enough over the tunnel so there were some scuffs that were making me crazy, also a small scuff on the side panel. But, I found these protective stickers on Ebay Italy and they hide the boo boos just fine.

I also bought the OEM rear rack in black and the Yamaha/Givi Top Box for the TMax. Installation was a snap. I don't intend to use the Givi Box often but I also picked up a Cortech Tail Bag which is very handy for lugging around a bit more stuff. Anyway, some pics. for your enjoyment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Virginian likes this.
  7. bikeridermark

Oddometer:
    My rack must be an old style. Supposedly Yamaha. Will check my mileage tomorrow. I don't think the guy I got it from ever got over 50.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Tnbrit

Tnbrit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,Bikerider Mark.I'm not a T-Max or Corbin expert(or any other kind of expert).
    But that's a very unusual looking Corbin Seat,it dosn't look like the pics on their Website,it looks more like a custom made one.
  9. bikeridermark

Oddometer:
    I just assumed it was a stock Corbin. The original owner bought the scooter, had the rack, windshield, air deflectors, and backrest installed, then sold it with less than 500 miles to a friend of mine. ( Health issues, I think ). My friend's wife said it was the most comfortable motorcycle he ever owned, and he has probably owned well over 100 bikes.
  10. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    Looks like a custom Corbin designed to let the rider slide back a lot farther than normal.
  11. bikeridermark

Oddometer:
    It allows the passenger sit at the same level as the rider.
  12. bikeridermark

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a shop manual lying around they want to sell? :ear
  13. adv0c8

adv0c8 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all

love all your ideas and all your tmax's looks awesome, giving me ideas on what to do on my 07 tmax.
  14. adv0c8

adv0c8 n00b

Oddometer:
    I Downloaded mine don't know if the 2009 tmax is available to download
  15. bikeridermark

Oddometer:
    I found a shop manual online pretty cheap.

I was asking my friend about the seat. He said it was a custom order from Corbin. It's super comfortable. I may try to make a driver backrest, as it's nice to push back against something at times.
    Got my Givi mount on the rack, new belt installed, new tires. Ready for the next 15k!
  16. Dezzie

Dezzie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Miss my old 08 Tmax, 3.5k spent on mods and tuning, maybe i get another someday, just too many nice bikes out there now and lack of funds makes it hard for me to go back to the mundane after loving this so much. my old tmax2.jpg

17. bikeridermark

Oddometer:
    What windshields are you guys using? Mine has a very tall windshield, which provides great protection, but I can't look over it. Seems I've read most people have buffeting issues with the stock shield. That adjustable Givi, well, it's not to pretty.
    I can't do the real short ones, as I ride a lot in cold weather.
    Just curious as to what works for you guys.
    Thanks,
    Mark
  18. Dezzie

Dezzie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I switched to a shorty black Ermax screen, never went back to the standard as it felt just as good and still kept most of the bad weather off and i ride in the UK, land of rain and wind.
  19. bikeridermark

Oddometer:
    I really like the looks of the short shield, especially with nothing on the back of the scooter.
  20. invisabiker

invisabiker n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello TMAX owners. Just bought a 2015 TMAX, my first scooter. I've had many motorcycles and currently have a 2013 vstom 650. Just wanted to try something different. Really like it so far. Does anyone know if there is a accessory or heated grips connector I could connect a volt gauge to?