2009 Yamaha Tmax 500!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by rs-mn, Jun 6, 2008.

1. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did a 700 mile, two day trip this last weekend, got a high of 57.38 mpg, with a 56+, and 55+ tank. 51 was the lowest tank. Mountains of WV. Great camping trip.
    The Virginian likes this.
  2. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations! I can't speak for the '15 but the '09 behind the left glove box are two sets of accessory connectors. One that is keyed and the second one is hot all the time. Post some pics!

Eric
  3. Nitzo

Nitzo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really?
  4. bikeridermark

Oddometer:
    Hard to believe no one has posted in this thread for over a year. Mine continues to be the workhorse of the fleet. Great performance, great handling and brakes,decent storage, decent mileage. Right at 30k now.
  5. Bolzen

Bolzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just came out of curiosity how and why the thread was resurrected.
  6. bikeridermark

Oddometer:
    Resurrected the thread because these are incredible scooters. Presently on a three day, curvy road trip through Kentucky, Virginia, and West Virginia. Me(500 tmax), brother (530 tmax), and buddy (v7 guzzi).
    Great handling, and great acceletation on the uphill climbs.
    We were on roads today that put the Dragon to shame.
    Chillis and RCmoto like this.
  7. RCmoto

RCmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey since you have yours and a 530, can you take/post some pics of them side-by-side a couple angles, so we can see the slight differences... thanks
  8. bikeridermark

Oddometer:
    I'll try to get some pictures of them together next time we go riding.
  9. bikeridermark

Oddometer:
    Hey, RCmoto, I forgot about those pictures! Have to wait for my brother to get back from Florida.
    Anyway, did my second belt change this week. 15,000 miles and almost no wear. Spec on width is 32.0mm to 30.5mm. Mine was 31.5mm, same as first change. Almost no belt dust in the housing. One roller had a little flat spot, but they all weighed the same as the new ones. Serviced the driven pulley, installed new belt case air filters, ready for 20,000 miles this time!
    RCmoto likes this.
  10. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I am back in the TMax fold. I sold my 2009 in 2012 and regretted it almost instantly. Problem corrected yesterday...

tmaxa.jpg

At home with the others...

tmax.jpeg
  11. bikeridermark

Oddometer:
  12. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    Nice. I may need to own a Tmax one day.
  13. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    I Jones for a Tmax but in my area there aren't many about or or are understandably rarely for sale. Is it true the 500's battery is a PIA to get at? Seems like a lot of stuff is well shrouded, too. Correct? Is there a sealed battery for it?
  14. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right on! Enjoy.
  15. bikeridermark

Oddometer:
    Battery is really not that hard to get to. About a five minute job. Battery is sealed.
  16. sk8norcal

sk8norcal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi! New to the forum and a new rider.
    Bought a 2006 Burgman 400 less than 2 month ago, 3 weeks later spotted a 2009 Tmax in my area, and immediately jumped on it.

Sold my Burgman the following week. Couldn't really keep two bikes around. I kinda miss it but not really. Tmax just has much better ride quality.

Fyi, I picked a maxi as a first bike, partly because I grew up in Taiwan, both my mom and dad rode scooters there, and in 1987, my dad decided to buy a Honda Helix, which I took a spin on when he wasn't around. ;)

Anyways, we will see how I like the Tmax after some time. I been checking out the Nc700x....

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    The Virginian and RCmoto like this.
  17. bikeridermark

Oddometer:
    Welcome sk8norcal! What kind of riding do you do? Trips, around town? How many miles on the Tmax?
  18. PaisaMed

PaisaMed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0750.JPG I owned a 2009 T Rex and rode it to Florida and back starting in Toronto. On the way back I did a tour through Deals Gap and the Surrounding area and the one thing I came away thinking was that with the CVT transmission I always felt that I had to be accelerating through corners; it never felt good coasting. This isn't a fault of the T Rex but of all automatic transmissions. I wanted to be in a low gear, high revs, and holding constant throttle through some of the tight Gap corners but was unable to do so as my rear wheel speed was always dictated by the belt speed. On that trip, my bike suffered from the well known ailment of T Rex fever and I sold it after getting back rather than replace the fuel pump. None the less, a very capable maxi scooter IMHO, much better than the Bergman. T Rex's are very popular in Europe.
  19. sk8norcal

sk8norcal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right now, just the mountain roads around my house. Not that interested in commuting.

Got the Tmax with 8500 miles

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  20. RCmoto

RCmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    On any bike, you want to be accelerating through corners, not coasting. ? Not sure why you felt that way on one. If anything, I'm more relaxed and confident on mine vs. my other bikes. I don't feel hurried, have to worry about gear selection, just try to hit the apex and give it throttle.

Sure I crave more HP. I've done track days, but not on my TMax. I am curious what lap times I could produce to compare....