2010 Dust 2 Dawson

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by The Dick, Aug 3, 2009.

1. push_bars

push_bars Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to hear that not too much is going on on Thursday... due to a wedding in NYC I won't be able to leave as early as I wanted so I will probably roll in later on Thursday.

The planned activities for Thursday sound like later will probably still work out fine if the incriminating toe pictures scattered around these boards are any indiciation. :freaky
  2. furtledurt

furtledurt PACMULE

Oddometer:
    Excuse me if the info is already under my nose, but I couldn't find it.
    I'm riding an old KLR up from North Carolina and while trying not to set too much of a schedule, I do want to join in on the fun. I've already put my name on the list, so I got that going for me.

1. Camping near the festivities?
    2. I'm camping most of the way so a bed and bath might be in order. I see lots of folks at the Downtown Hotel. The place to be? Anyone want to split a room?
    3. Any fee other than what I spend on t-shirts, poker run, etc?
    4. Any group rides up the Dempster?

Thanks for any direction...

I'm fired up for the trip. Hope to see you all there.
  3. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    No other fee's. Me and another rider from CA are doing the Dempster as well as many other small groups. Your welcome to ride with us if you want. I'll be in the motel if you want to look me up or pm me and I can give more details.

Have a safe trip up.
  4. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, I'm signed up for the D2D and I'll be riding up the 17th from Wa state on my R100GS, and planning on the Dempster also. I'm currently running Tourance's on it and ther at half life now. My plan is to carry a set of TKC80's and change over in Dawson before heading up the Dempster, then head home turning of at Carmacks to ride down the Campbell. Sooo, My ? is there a tire changing machine available in Dawson. Thanks
  5. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Dick of Dawson to the courtesy phone, please!!
  6. TomTom63

TomTom63 Motorradfahrer

Oddometer:
    Actually, we could make it a competition between two people on who can do it faster the old fashion way (by hand :D) I'll betcha there are few takers...

Might cost ya a beer or two :beer
  7. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Dick here, no problemo with the tire chit, I got the full meal deal as well as a bike lift and tools including that f------ special tool for the front on the new GSs, the cost is prohibitive but then I figure if you can afford a motorcycle and the time to take summer holidays, cost is no object!

Cheers
  8. HayDuchessLives

HayDuchessLives Loquita

Oddometer:
    Hey Downtown Dick - you might want to distribute free earplugs to all your guests while the dubious, distinguished AK Charlie is staying in the hotel. This way you can avoid complaints from the guests if he snores too loudly or talks too much. :ace Although, I don't actually know if he even snores since I don't have first-hand knowledge. It just seems like most elderly Geezers, especially those that ride KLRs, tend to snore at a high volume. And while Jack is a geezer, he's so handsome and intelligent he probably doesn't snore at all. :rolleyes

You might be safe from the Geezers though as they first have to be able to successfully ride all the way to Dawson on their questionable choice of motorcycles. :poser :poser :jack

:hide
  9. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    I'll let those comments slide this time and just consider the source. Don't want to steal a thread such as this. :ricky
  10. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    And modest. You forgot modest. And humble. Again. :ddog
  11. FlyRescue

FlyRescue Support S&R, Get lost!

Oddometer:
    Dick, et al, what's the status on rooms in Dawson? Is there still time to make reservations? I know I might be cutting it a little close, but I was hoping it'd be ok.

Ben
  12. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    To hell with the rooms.....what about campsites....preferably not between RVs....?
    The other issue is....how safe is your stuff at a campsite? Is it the same as the rest of the civilized world....need dogs and long nails to keep it safe or best to take everything with you every day???

Also...can anyone put up a list of campsites from excellent to duds....so we KLR riders have somewhere to sleep! Because we will get there.....somehow....lol...well the bike might but I hope my body will make it too......:huh:cry..I'm an old geezer too!...lol....and I've been told I snore now too....?:lol3
  13. skidlid

skidlid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a room at the Downtown Hotel for both nights if anybody is looking for a place to crash.

Dave
  14. FlyRescue

FlyRescue Support S&R, Get lost!

Oddometer:
    Looking for our own room ideally. Thanks though!
  15. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    A google search will give you the campgrounds. There is the public campground but it's across the river so you have to make the ferry schedule to get home at night. I've stayed at the Goldrush and it's within staggering distance from downtown. I didn't worry about leaving my stuff there.
  16. furtledurt

furtledurt PACMULE

Oddometer:
    Howdy Dave,
    Check for PM. I'm riding up from Asheville solo. Going to do a few weeks wandering around in the area.
    Mark
  17. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Furtle...what's your route and proposed leaving time? I'm just north of Toronto and plan on a Canadian route leaving home June 12th ish......maybe we could hook up for the ride up? I too ride a KLR685 ...04
    I plan a camping trip with motels only as a last resort if caught and soaking wet.
  18. furtledurt

furtledurt PACMULE

Oddometer:
    I'm going from NC (June 4) to Chicago to stay with a friend then across Iowa, South Dakota, and to Wyoming to stay with another friend. Then on to Montana for a little fishing then up to Jasper around the 15th of June.
    A run up the Cassier then on to Fairbanks then the circle by the 21st.
    Back across top-of-the-world to Dawson. Not sure after that.
    Will you cross any of those paths?
  19. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will be a few days behind you on the Cassier...but I expect to see you at the D2D for sure...I'm riding a black 04 towing a single wheeled trailer.
  20. furtledurt

furtledurt PACMULE

Oddometer:
    Glad you're bringing the trailer. I've seen pics and the write-up on it. Building one myself but won't have it before the trip.
    Will you have a computer with you on the trip? If my plans change, I'll ping you and see where you are.