2010 Dust 2 Dawson

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by The Dick, Aug 3, 2009.

1. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:
    TRAILER? COMPUTER? PING YOU?
    WOW THAT REALLY SOUNDS LIKE AN ADVENTURE RIDER TO ME!!!!!:wave :bubba
  2. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope to have a laptop with me if the misses lets me have it that is......lol
    I am also running a SPOT for her peace of mind and will put up that site address too......just so you can see where I'm at and rob me while on a lonely stretch of road....lol.....well hopefully not!.
    I need that trailer to carry all the medical equipment etc so that I can make it that far with a busted neck.....something that I am finding out doesn't like the wind pressure developed over 120kph! Maybe it will just be enough space to carry my meds!!!!....lol:huh
    On another note....I am wondering if I should think about carrying a spare trailer tire.....it is a wierd size......it is a brand new tire....wonder if it will last 14000kms????
  3. lineareagle

lineareagle philomath

Oddometer:
    Heading out of Toronto on the 26th of May.
    Going to play in AK for most of June then hit the D2D before heading south to Vancouver etc.

At the D2D are there camp grounds close by or do I need to find some other accommodations?

I'll start out in Tok at the Eagleclaw the day before so look forward to chatting with the travelers there.

Anyone know of a place in Whitehorse I can send tires so I can do a change up before hitting the gravel?

Thanks all.
  4. TomTom63

TomTom63 Motorradfahrer

Oddometer:
    In '08, we had to deal with repairs on a 1150GS in Whitehorse. We ended up at Yukon Harley-Davidson. Those guys bend backwards for us and got us back on the road again.

I would call and check with them in a heartbeat.
  5. lineareagle

lineareagle philomath

Oddometer:
    Tnx T-Rex,
    I'll give them a call.
    I hear Honda will as well but they haven't gotten back to me so . . .

I don't mind changing them on the side of the road, but would rather not haul them from Toronto.
  6. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    send the tires to the Downtown Hotel in Dawson, no gravel til you get here and you don't have to deal with any ho's in the ho capital of the north and that dumn dick does them for free, how good does it get, well you might have to buy some beer cause I don't supply that.
    Don't let a gps rule your life, real pilots don't!
  7. The Dick

Oddometer:
    Oh, missed that, they haven't got back to you, is that not a hint!
  8. Tradey

Tradey RTW Traveller

Oddometer:
    Happy to report one of the Australian 'contingent' has finally arrived in North America..... (me) and just discovered where Dawson is.... in a different country !!

Just got my F8 and setting it up in my 'home' town of Vegas. Once all done I will spend 4-5 weeks getting way up there. (I'm on holidaze here for 12 months).

If anyone has a spare bed/room in Dawson I'm happy to share costs so please PM me.
  9. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Dick of Dawson occasionally has some spare room and he'll share costs.
  10. J3D

J3D Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey fellas, Does it get pretty cold at night during this trip?
  11. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your asking for someone to spoon with....sorry ....I'm taken....lol:huh:lol3
  12. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only if the temperature drops. :vardy

Remember - in Canada they use Celsius so it's a lot colder. They think 25 degrees is too warm. :lol3
  13. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    It can and probably will get nippy, but that time of year it will not get night.
  14. J3D

J3D Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nope, not asking for someone to spoon with. I don't swing that way. If the planets align, I may go, and was wondering if I needed to maybe pack a heater of some sort.
  15. skidlid

skidlid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IF..... my wife continues to piss me off by adding to my list of "Things Your Ass Better Get Done, Before You Leave My Ass For Five Weeks", I just might sneak out(under the cover of darkness) a few days early and bee-line it north.

I figure I can put around 500 miles between the two of us, before she even starts stirring. 600 if I place her favorite vibrator on the night-stand.

So here is my question: How many days do I need to do the Dempster up and back? That is if the weather isn't shit, and I ride it at a decent pace. I would like to be back at the Downtown Hotel on the 24th since I have a room for the two D2D nights.

This being said; should you guys see someone just kind of wandering around downtown Dawson City with no apparent direction..... it'll be me. I'll be in no rush to get home, since home no longer exists. And BOB ( or some other poor unsuspecting slob) will have taken my place.
  16. AKmud

AKmud Muddy Gruver

Oddometer:
    Surprisingly.....I was still able to get a room booked at the Westmark! Myself, Mrs. Mud and HOB are heading up early morning on the 24th from Wasilla if anyone wants to ride up together. We are planning on taking our time and checking out some sights along the way (my wife is a noob to 2-up riding so I don't want to burn her out!).
  17. The Dick

Oddometer:
    Good question grasshopper, you should allow enough time so that you can indeed do the Dempster so it does not do you and it is a professional! Weather is the major factor and it is the difference between fffin awesome to how the hell were they allowed to list this as a road. Eagle Plains is a great day ride and in good conditions you can get to Inuvik and back to Eagle Plains in a day and that is about as much as you will want of Inuvik. I have equipped Stan at Eagle Plains with the front axle tool for the new GS's and I am going to ship him up some survival used tires before all the kids arrive. Get here with some wiggle room and unless you are on some final bucket shit, take advantage of the whore or not.
  18. GRIZ

GRIZ COMMANDANT

Oddometer:
    ... "Get here with some wiggle room and unless you are on some final bucket shit, take advantage of the whore or not."
    I JUST LOVE IT WHEN YOU TALK LIKE THAT!:lol3 :poser :bubba
  19. lineareagle

lineareagle philomath

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dick,
    I already shipped them to an moa'er in Whitehorse so will do the change up there.
    Hmm, no, I guess that is down there for you.
    Now I still have not heard if you can or should think of camping out in Dawson, I am all for a hard wall sleeping spot if available, kinda late to the party tho'.

My plan is to arrive in WH the end of the first week in June, up to Dawso, Inuvik over to the big cities and back in time for the D2D.

Really looking forward to the party in D2D.

:1drink
  20. skidlid

skidlid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dick,

Thanks for the info. I'll see how I'm doing for time once I hit Seattle. I should be leaving there on the 16th of June.

See you in Dawson,

Dave