2010 F800GS barkbusters fitment?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by spencermarkd, Feb 19, 2020.

1. spencermarkd

spencermarkd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey,

Bought my bike a couple years back with a set of barkbusters already installed. Many tipovers later, they're all bent up, plastics scratched, screw holes just about reamed out to the max and I'm looking to replace them.

I'm pretty sure I have generic fitment ones instead of the specific fit kit for the F800. Anyone have any ideas of which fits better?

I don't have any qualms with my current generic fit ones, they tap my windshield a little but only at full lock and are about $30 cheaper than the specific ones for the f800. However, if the specific kit is sturdier, fits better, more clearance, etc I'm open to it.

Anyone have experience going between the two kits? Or a reason why they chose one over the other?

Thanks!
  2. spencermarkd

Oddometer:
    For reference...

Generic fitment:
    [​IMG]

F800 Specific:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Jimbobvfr

Jimbobvfr Jimbob

Oddometer:
    Good pics Spencer!
    I went to Revzilla to just see what the dealio was, and learned something.
    The pair for the GSA are $144.95 and include the heat-treated aluminum bar, and the plastic cover. I ride on the east coast, so the plastic covers are important.
    The 'naked' pair are $104.90, and don't include the plastic, that's the only distance, the aluminum is the same for both kits.
    spencermarkd likes this.
  4. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the 800 specific kit and I see 2 differences in your photos. 1. The universal kit uses an expander bolt thing at the end vs. the 800 kits custom end weights that use the factory bar threads. 2. The 800 kit inner mount is only 2 solid pieces vs that threaded cylinder that bridges the bar clamp and brace.

Not sure if any of this matters but it may explain the difference.

Edit: also look at the inside mount point on the guard. Countersunk bolt vs. Button head.
    spencermarkd likes this.
  5. spencermarkd

Oddometer:
    The universal kit also includes plastics, at least the one I was looking at. I did notice that Revzilla uses generic photos for all their bike specific barkbusters kits. If you look at barkbusters.net they have better photos.

The F800 specific one seems to have a specific brakcet that is mounted closer to the controls and goes under them vs. the generic that is more inward on the bars and has a threaded extender.

Thanks for the input so far!

I'm leaning towards the F800 specific kit on the off chance it provides slightly more protection to the controls by going under them more closely.
  6. spencermarkd

Oddometer:

I wouldn't be surprised if both bar end setups used the same size bolt and thread.. truthfully whichever I go with I'd try to just adapt whatevers in my handlebars already haha

Countersunk bolt on the inside would be nice though, if nothing else it looks cleaner. Like I said above, leaning towards the specific kit vs. the generic.

Thanks for the input!
  7. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just installed the Barkbuster Storms on the wife’s F700. My F7 came with them and I knew they would fit with the bar end weights, etc. They were a little more money but I just looked the other way with my cheap skate eyes and bit the bullet and the reward was a simple and well fitted installation that does the job I need them to do.
    All of our off-road bikes have Acerbis fitted, because they work well. No experience with other brands.
  8. ericrat

ericrat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Benduro likes this.
  9. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Big plus 1 on the Highway Dirt Bike guards...use them on all my bikes.
  10. spencermarkd

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Looking at their website it looks like that requires you to use their top clamp though, correct? Not sure if it'd work with the scotts I have installed.
  11. ROMAD

ROMAD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have Scott's under bar mount and the HDB top clamp fits perfectly.
    [​IMG]
    spencermarkd likes this.
  12. ericrat

ericrat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If your tell Paul at HDB what your setup is, I am sure he will be able to take care of you.
    Benduro and spencermarkd like this.