2011 990 Adventure abs Idle problem

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Erez1984, Nov 11, 2019.

1. LopezXC

LopezXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He tells me:

First of all, try to locate wich cylinder is faulty. When hot, disconnect one of them (spark plug). Re-connect and try disconnecting the other one. Let's see if it keeps running or turn off. If it keeps running with both, then problem is locate "upper" at something that affect both cylinders. If engine culdn't keep running with one of them, tha one is faulty. Then we can take next step.
    rider911 likes this.
  2. rider911

rider911 Shortcut Navigator

Oddometer:
    That is a good idea
  3. Erez1984

Erez1984 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Starting from the end as i owe you guys who commented an update - problem solved.
    After more testing and measuring, fixing flimsy wires, testing the bike from top to bottom, iv found that one of the 3 terminal in the voltage regulator connector was melted around inside. After i fixed it the problem was still there. Iv tested the coils individualy on the bench and they both tested good.
    Started the bike and as it did before , it ran fine for 1-2 minuts and started to cut off after that.
    While its running warm cutting off iv disconnected one coil connector and the engine idled fine on 1 cylinder - new result!
    Shutted it down started it again and did the same with the other coil - bike shutted down. Changed between the coils and tested again both cylinders - the problem went to the other cylinder, then i knew i have a faulty coil.
    To be 100% sure its a bad coil iv loaned a coil from a friend with a running 990 for the test and the engine ran fine for 20 minuts (or any period of time i left it running).
    Now, 5 days later with new coil the bike starts and idle like a champ, running spotless in all conditions on and off the road, and seems to run better than ever after another TB sync with the new coil.

Thanks for all the comments and to every one who commented. It was a hard one.

Cheers :beer:freaky
    lithodave, NKL and DirtyADV like this.
  4. LopezXC

LopezXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ole!

Good news. After all, it was me who solved it, isn't it?

Yes, I'm trying to get a free beer.
    lithodave, Erez1984 and LilYoda like this.
  5. Erez1984

Erez1984 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All you buddy! Id buy every commenter here a bear if i could!