2011 990 with error code 16. help!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by road hammer, Jan 31, 2019.

1. road hammer

road hammer have map will travel

Oddometer:
    after doing the canister and sas and a triple clamp change including the unplugging of ignition switch, adding wiring for h grips thru slave relay the battery was disconnected for some moments.
    on trying start up I get immobilizer code 16 and no crank.
    in the pleading words of Clevon Little , HEP ME HEP ME!

many thx.
  2. road hammer

Oddometer:
    on my other 990 which may have had its ignition removed (old guy memory) but did have a battery disconnect I have now found it also shows code 16.
    could this be an error seen when the ignition was unplugged? if so how to clear the not existing now, error code. thx.
  3. road hammer

Oddometer:
    so... does unplugging the ignition while the battery connected (and immobilizer active) cause a latched error (immobilizer 16) requiring a trip to the dealer? ?
  4. Rharr

Rharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    stick your orange key in and see what happens.
  5. road hammer

Oddometer:
    I did and no help. (though I may now have to reprogram my black key)
    I have two 990's and both are showing the immobilizer code 16. thinking perhaps when the ignition was unplugged withe immobilizer still powered it created an error that will/may require the dealer to clear.
    (note to self always disconnect battery before fing with electric stuff, doh!)
  6. road hammer

Oddometer:
    hmmm. 17000 replies to "what did you do to your ktm today" and 1 (thankyou) reply to a ktm problem question. true it took years to get to 17k but..

perhaps a reworded question. maybe a new topic header.
    "does the unplugging of the keyed ignition cause a latched error in the still energized immobilizer requiring a dealer reset".
    thank you.
    geometrician likes this.
  7. Rharr

Rharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you don't already have a ecu cable and plug and a laptop with tune ecu on it, that would be my next step. Tuneecu can read and reset error codes in the ecu which should help figure out what has upset it.

You can also disconnect the battery for a day and see if the discharge clears things.
  8. road hammer

Oddometer:
    disconnect for a day... I did for say 10 mins but could try a day, good thought.
    no cables to set up tune ecu. perhaps time to organize that gear, and laptop as I've only desktop now.
    am uncomfortable simply going to the dealer and saying can you fix this, was really hoping the collective could help me see how I Ftup two 990's and end with the same problematic result. sure I can go to the dealer but as a Scot I'd like to have an idea as to the remedy required first.
  9. Rharr

Rharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the tune ecu setup can also be run using an android type phone and a bluetooth ecu dongle. You can use your desktop you just may have to migrate it to the garage and have to get the bike close to it and probably use a long usb extension cable.
  10. road hammer

Oddometer:
    thx for your help. I'll look into that bluetooth dongle as it may also prove handy while off on trips.
    you don't happen to know if the unplugging of the ignition will cause a latched error code do you?
  11. Rharr

Rharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do not. I have unplugged my ignition module (key) in the past to disassemble and clean, but don't recall if i disconnected the battery. i have not been locked out from the bike due to the security routine getting tripped. Worst case you can try and source a 2007/2008 ECU, which will plug right in and doesn't have the security routine encoded. There is a guy on the forums (thinkpad??) that can flash the 2009 + ecu to remove the security routine as well. One of the members has reported a successful transaction with the results as described.
  12. road hammer

Oddometer:
    fault traced to the dumass owner. inadvertently swapped the immobilizers between the two bikes disallowing the FI and immobilizer to properly see each other.
    thx for the help. wayne
    JoeMongo and CROSSBOLT like this.
  13. road hammer

Oddometer:
    though I feel a little silly, I did get to learn more about the bike and its systems and play with Tuneecu a little resetting the FI errors and checking other values. only to have the errors return because someone (who me?) installed a different immobilizer.
  14. Rharr

Rharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Paint pens are your friend in this situation. Mark every thing you pull off.
  15. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are another to prove the real value of forums in general, two-wheel in particular. Why? Because most dealers are not in the "help mode" without filthy rubles in his hand. Plus most would have no idea.
  16. road hammer

Oddometer:
    while the marking pen is a great idea (marked masking tape, put things in zip lock bags,) in this case it wouldn't have been much help as while I was paying attention to the ignition and antenna ring staying with the proper bike, it was a full on space cadet move to not think of the immobilizer having to remain with its own bike also when I exchanged intake snorkels.
    Rharr, I just found your suspension parts breakdown sheet, very handy as I'm converting to "R", thx for that.
  17. PaisaMed

PaisaMed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an immobilizer problem currently and my bike won't start. I was just wondering if an ignition switch unplug without a prior battery disconnection trips the immobilizer and makes the bike not start? I unplugged mine without disconnecting the battery first! And, I also don't want to visit my local dealer for what I perceive will be a motocolorectaloscopy!
  18. road hammer

Oddometer:
    hi there sorry for the delay. the issue I was having was full on self inflicted. As I have 2 990s while swapping parts between bikes I inadvertently swapped the immobilizer which naturally caused the no-start issue. once put on the proper bike start-up happened (whew). The orange key has been referred to as the orange key of doom. (https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-orange-key-of-dooooooooooooom.1037612/) and should not ever be used to start the bike. perhaps this is what has happened to your bike. I don't recall that there is a proper order for a battery disconnect but have read that a low batt voltage WILL cause all sorts of non start problems. My 09 had an issue in new mexico that required an ignition un plug and when that happened (batt still connected) there was no problem restarting the bike, so likely (perhaps?) is not your problem either.

motocolorectaloscopy!- is that being rectally probed by the Orange bike dealership?
  19. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Disconnecting the battery to reset something never works. All info is held in memory.

Take the Orange Key and the Credit card and lock them in a secure place. ONLY use these if you need to buy and program a new black key.