2011 Berkshire Big Adventure (Official Announcement)

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by madrivermaz, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Trail Jester Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, those bikes are overkill for the 100 mile Dualsport Thumper Route With Hero Sections. Bringing a 200 EXC or YZ 250 (you get the picture) to this event just isn't welcome.

Bring a thumper. Bring a DR400. Bring a KLR 650. Bring a TE 630.

Hero sections will be rated for difficulty. If you are an experienced rider and in reasonable shape, you can make all the hero sections. If you are not an experienced rider or not in reasonable shape ... then read the rating and think about it before you jump in the deep end.
  2. nobody

nobody motomaniac Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess that the quote "DO NOT BRING YOUR ENDURO BIKE" is a bit missunderstood.Any legally dual-sported bike is a street bike !If you don`t have a 650 or the like a TE is fine but you will do laps arround people riding it.Imagine the look on those peoples eyes when they struggle getting a 400 pounder over a log and you come along and jump it.Than there`s another but:You will have to fly at 80 mph on long stretches of dirt roads where big thumpers or 950`s will rooster the crap out of you .I`ve been doing this ride for 4 or 5 yrs now, I don`t remember, and people tend to ride more big thumpers it`s the most suitable for this kind of ride.Small singles will make it boring and big GS`s will get your adrenaline pumping.Roll chart not a must if you follow a buddy but advisable.Even if you follow, read that paper, it ain`t there to wipe your ass with
    Hope I shed some light over the confussion
    Always fun
    Hope to see you there
  3. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
  4. madrivermaz

madrivermaz Old Fart

Oddometer:
  5. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lots of good and bad for me about this thread
    The good is that there is another BTR Dual Sport
    The bad is there is also an ECEA enduro the same day
    The good/bad I had shoulder surgery and not sure how it will hold up and if I miss the first 4 enduros I then only hit select ones and do this ride instead of the enduro that day.
    I prefer my shoulder to be 100% but if it isn't this ride wouldn't be a bad second prize.
    I'd probably bring my GF and camp in my van at Prospect.
  6. DocAxeYarYar

DocAxeYarYar RideDualSport.com

Oddometer:
    Very nice event, great cause too. I took the liberty of posting your ride on the RideDualSport.com event calendar, with link to your thread here. Ride on dudes!

[​IMG]
  7. madrivermaz

madrivermaz Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Much appreciated!
  8. madrivermaz

madrivermaz Old Fart

Oddometer:
    The Big Bike Route (200 miles) will be mostly town maintained dirt roads, paved roads, and state highway (not interstates). If you choose this route at registration, you'll have the prerogative of completing the route or bailing out anywhere along it. You're not required to notify anyone if you bail unless you are broke down and/or need assistance. Phone numbers will be available. The route will take you anywhere from 5 to 8 hours to ride depending on how long you stop for lunch/gas/photo-op along the way. It will be up to you what type of tire you choose for this ride. The route will come near major highways in the event you decide you've had enough and would like to head home. It is because of this, we won't be sweeping this route.

The Dualsport Thumper Route (100 miles) will be mostly town maintained/unmaintained dirt roads, woods roads, paved roads, and optional hero sections consisting of easy trail. You will need agressive dualsport d.o.t. tires for the trail sections if you choose to become a hero!
    This entire route will be swept by our experienced off-road/dualsport riders on bikes and in trucks. It is of utmost importance that you stay on the route (trail or road) if you breakdown so our sweep crew can find you.
    You should also ride in groups and always wait for the guy behind you before making any turns.

More info will be posted later.
  9. ba_

ba_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you anticipate having a few bigger bikes on the Dualsport Thumper route?
  10. Looksgoodinblack

Looksgoodinblack Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK... after doing this ride twice already I have a question. Which bike should I bring?
    The wee, that I used, along with some big GS riders, to litter Hero#2 section in '09 or KTM (450 EXC)?
    I will only add that I no longer have knobbies on the wee and I will ride solo this year:wink:
  11. BushwickKLR

BushwickKLR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im taking the DRZ so bring the KATOOM!
  12. madrivermaz

madrivermaz Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Yes.

Once the route is set in stone, I'll be able report here my opinion of whether "bigger bikes" will be able to ride it.
  13. Schickmeister

Schickmeister Youngin'

Oddometer:
    I'll hopefully be doing big bike route on my V...with lovely new shoes, of course. :clap
  14. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Hopefully the thaw won't come after the event. :rofl
  15. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine what it would be like to cut trail if they had to for this event up there. I am sure just scouting the roads and trails is a challenge enough. In NJ it sounds like the trails are not to bad, but any "road" that had a car on it, is a slick sheet of ice right now.
  16. algunn

algunn Adventuring in NJ

Oddometer:
    I know in NJ, they call it a "dual-sport, trail ride" and then I can't get my 650's bars between the trees without stopping, leaning the bike over and sticking one bar thru at a time.:doh
  17. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    You've gotta wheelie and turn the bars as you go between the trees.
  18. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    Or trim the bars :wink:
  19. madrivermaz

madrivermaz Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Last year, a couple on a Goldwing went on this ride. Your 650 will fit!:evil
  20. BushwickKLR

BushwickKLR Long timer

Oddometer:

My jaw dropped when I saw them pass us (we were stopped, resting) at after that large fresh gravel section in the woods. I give them alot of credit.