2011 Daytona Bike Week Planning

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by VStromNC, Jan 4, 2011.

1. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    I know it's still couple of months away but I thought I'd start this thread to see if we can plan a group ride down to Daytona this year. We can setup a meeting point en route to Daytona as we head south.

Three of us rode down together last year taking mostly back roads until we got tired and decided to superslab it with about 50 miles left to Daytona. There were few others that rode down from our neck of the woods- Charlotte & Surrounding Area but we did not get to meet up.

I got food poisoning from eating stale clam chowder soup at Wings- DON'T EAT THERE! If you want Wings, go to the old reliable Hooters. Better view anyway IMO. I was OK after half a day of puking!

We demo'd few new bikes, saw a Noob on a Harley crash a brand new Kawi Z1000 while on a demo ride. Camped out at Daytona Speedway- May do that again although this option is open. Drank way too much. Saw bunch of manufacturer booths, vendors, visited Mainstreet to look at all the choppers, etc. In summary, a fun week and a great way to kick off 2011 riding season.

Everyone riding down did have heated gear on and it is highly recommended as temperature on last year departure date was still in the low 30's. Almost 500 miles exactly from Charlotte to the Speedway. Easy one day ride!

I've got to get new tires put on my VStrom pig. Last ride to Jonas Ridge finally finished my tire. I may tap Mr. Wanderer13 to assist me if he has the time.

This is the Speedway race schedule so far. I will add as I find additional events:

Daytona Supercross March 5, 2011
    The world's top Supercross riders such as Chad Reed, Davi Millsaps, Ryan Dungey and Ryan Villopoto battle on a tough and demanding course.

Ricky Carmichael Daytona Amateur Supercross ChampionshipMarch 6 - 7, 2011
    The Ricky Carmichael Daytona Amateur Supercross Championship will take place on Sunday, March 6 and on Monday, March 7, Carmichael will then host Ricky Carmichael University, a public riding school hosted by the 15-Time AMA National Champion.

AMA Flat TrackMarch 10 - 11, 2011
    Daytona International Speedway will host the AMA Pro Flat Track doubleheader on a quarter-mile lime rock track in the West Lot located outside Turns 1 and 2.

Alligator EnduroMarch 10, 2011

AMA Pro Superbike and Supersport doubleheader Friday, March 11 and Saturday, March 12
    Including the AMA Pro Vance & Hines XR1200 Series, which features riders aboard specially modified Harley-Davidson XR1200 motorcycles

Daytona 200March 12, 2011
    Top riders in AMA Pro Racing battle in America’s most historic motorcycle race.

Jon
  2. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
  3. lucky_strike

lucky_strike whose flux?

Oddometer:
    I may be in. what dates are youpo planning on leaving. I'm in ky so would have to coordinate a place to meet. I'm on a tiger so the ride would be similar
  4. Kawikazi

Kawikazi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in Harrisonburg, Virginia but have friends who live in Charlotte. I might be interested in superslabbing it down to Charlotte the day before your departure and riding on down with your group. Been meaning to do Daytona for a while, but just never got around to it. I ride a Kawasaki ZZR-600 set up for sport touring.
  5. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    lucky_strike & Kawikazi,

Great, the more the merrier! We don't have an exact date for departure or date to come back just yet. I guess we can settle on the dates as we get closer to March. I'd like to stay 3 or 4 days and catch as many of the races as possible including demoing the new bikes, vendors, manufacturer events and other extracurricular:lol3 activities!

I also have this thread cross posted in a local Charlotte forum, see my second post for link along with a suggested camp ground information. Still open at this point.

What dates are you guys thinking about?

Jon
  6. Ron_Ces

Ron_Ces Aging Hacker

Oddometer:
    I am riding down solo this year from SJ. I am leaving NJ early on the 7th. heading back home on the 13th. Camping plans are still wide open.
    Ron
  7. Kawikazi

Kawikazi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am open for a departure date and the weather will play a factor in my last minute plans, although I am shopping for a heated vest and gloves.
  8. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Ron_Ces,

Maybe at the very least, we can all meetup at the same campground.

Jon
  9. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    I use a Gerbing jacket and gloves w/ dual controller. Works good, no problem so far. I've had it about 5 years- it's the older type not the new Microwire. Prior to that I had Widder vest but I also wanted some heat on my arms.

Keep in mind also that on the last day of Bike Week, 03/12, you can get hell of a deal from vendors that are packing up and simply don't want to carry or ship all the stuff back. I bought most of my riding gear and other stuff from past Bike Weeks on the last day.

Jon
  10. lucky_strike

lucky_strike whose flux?

Oddometer:
    I would want to leave as early as possible. Weather doesn't stop or change plans. ill keep checking in this thread. You plan on back roads there or highway.
  11. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    Back roads at least until it starts getting little late and we want to make up some time....

Jon
  12. Ron_Ces

Ron_Ces Aging Hacker

Oddometer:
    Sounds good to me. I will keep watching this thread to finalize plans as we get closer.
    Ron
  13. Ron_Ces

Ron_Ces Aging Hacker

Oddometer:
    I called the track to get more info on the camping. they still have last years recorded message while on hold. The guy told me that camping in the infield is free if you have a ticket to the event. My question was, is there an event every night? If I have a ticket to the 200 and show up 3 days early can I get in? The guy put me on hold and came back and said " I guess you could do that". Anyone have more info on this?
    Ron
  14. CaptD

CaptD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At the entrance to the tunnel (which takes you to the infield) there is a gate/check point that is manned. Just before an event you get waived thru as traffic is heavy. At slow traffic periods they usually check - they just want to see a ticket for an event. Any event. I don't like to camp here as its just an infield and its VERY NOISY due to all the straight piped Harleys riding by on Speedway Blvd. till about 5am. Bring your earplugs. I do ride here/up to the gate and tell the gatekeeper guy that I'm not going to camp but just want to use the pay showers which are located in the infield. I camp at the Alligator Enduro campground/start area located on Tomoka Farms Road just west of I-95 and south of I-4. 2 years ago I paid $15 per night for my van and bike. Its primitive camping, Jiffy Johns only, fully packed on Wed. night and Thurs. the day of the enduro but quiet the rest of the week. Most of the campers are enduro/dual sport riders. Capt D.
  15. pachap

pachap CANNOT RIDE

Oddometer:
    I'm really thinking about making the trip this year, but actually riding down the week after Bike Week. If any stragglers wanna ride down simply to enjoy the ride, let me know.
  16. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    CaptD is correct as they do have an event every day and infield camping is free provided you have a ticket. If you arrive after hours, you have to purchase next days ticket. It is a full facility campground with large clean showers/restrooms. The noise did not bother us at all. Plenty of riders and campers last year. There is a gated check point area before you enter the campground. The beauty is that you are close to all of the manufacturer booths and events.

Again, keep in mind that it still gets pretty cold at night as there was frost on the ground every morning although by late afternoon, the temperature started to get in the low 80's. We used little Coleman Catalytic Heaters and it worked great.

This year, the group that I am riding down with is thinking about staying here. nothing definite yet.

http://www.daytona200mc.com/index.html

Jon
  17. patmo

patmo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never been down because of not having the time off work, but since I retired this winter, I was planning on going down this year. Coming from NoKy. Have a brother that lives over in Bradenton, so my thought was to head there early in the week, then head over to Daytona Wednesday. Might change that and head over to Charlotte first. Riding down from there sounds like fun. Have to watch the weather and see if riding or towing is the best option to get there. Have a FZ6 with hard bags, heated grips, and electric vest.

I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Patrick
  18. Ron_Ces

Ron_Ces Aging Hacker

Oddometer:
    Just a bump to se if anyone else is heading down.
  19. The Dirty One

The Dirty One Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i`m headed down. been doing bike week since 1989. i really go for the ride now as it`s a good "mental welcome" for the upcoming spring.

i don`t make a very good traveling companion. it`s 600 miles from my house to hwy 92 exit (speedway). i usually do it in around 9 hours and not many people i`ve ever ridden with like to ride that pace that long. good roads,weather and traffic play a part.

maybe i`ll see some adv. stickered bikes there. y`all ride safe!!!!
  20. Chad_NC

Chad_NC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Daytona is something I have thought about in the past. I went to the last day of Myrtle Beach about 3 years ago, just for experience. Not a good one that day. If I go down, which is doubtful, I will probably trailer the bike and maybe stay at a friends house about an hour or so away. Maybe I can plan to ride down with some folk next year:norton