1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

2011 LA-Barstow-Vegas Dual Sport Ride

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by GalacticGS, Sep 4, 2011.

1. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    IT's amazing what Big E can do with PhotoShop :evil
  2. jimrobinette

jimrobinette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would love to, but I live 400 miles away and can only make one ride or so a year. Hard to make the meetings. I know someone on the committee and have already passed my concerns.

There are other ways to deal with tortoise zones than a pop up warning. Like I said, different color tracks/waypoints/etc.

I think people shouldn't be allowed to ride until they've signed something saying they've read and will abide by the instructions, as I think it is very possible for the multitude of govt organizations to not allow permitting due to people breaking all the rules. I know that at least 12 people passed me in the tortoise zone on Day 2 while I was doing 28-32 mph on my GPS. Like someone said in a D37 thread, if there were number stickers on the back of helmets...:nod

OK guys. I'm done here unless something is specifically addressed to me. See you over on the D37 boards!
  3. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    I think some of the shortfalls of any maps or GPS data simply comes down to a lack of time.
    As a past race referee I know that several last minute changes take place. I received lots of grief about last minute maps, but I would rather be last minute and accurate than early and incorrect.
    I often wish these were paying jobs. I'm sure most of us could do more if the $$$ was there.
  4. Blue Man

Blue Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Or you could be very responsible and have a riding sweep partner that navigates via roll chart and odo, I used GPS, so we knew where all the Tortise zones were.

Everyone needs to be responsible due to the fact that if the BLeM finds two harmed torti in one years time in a district they will not issue any additional permits to anyone. I will forward concerns directly to the right folks.

Stega and I have already talked about a few things that need to be added for next year and Im sure JohnGil will have some ideas as well. My first thought is to go raven hunting to help the little guys out the most.
  5. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:

you don't need to be at every meeting to volunteer. you can do a lot of correspondence via email/web based.
    talk to your buddy in the committee about the details and would love you on board.:clap
  6. Windrat

Windrat just a poser

Oddometer:
    sounds like you boys had fun
    and the after ride bs'in is funny
  7. dunerat

dunerat WTF?

Oddometer:
    Yupper:freaky
  8. BRYANDENNY71

BRYANDENNY71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me
    [​IMG]

& my buddy Michael for comic relief.
    [​IMG]
  9. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    edit: already been mentioned above.

hell, most of the day we were buzzing by guys stopped on the side of the trail trying to figure out where the hell they were. :rofl

i swear i was just opening a can of whoop ass when this pic was taken. :(

[​IMG]
  10. adayinthedirt

adayinthedirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did not ride LaB2V this year... But have in the past. Recent knee surgery. But yes I ONLY use the roll chart. Don't own a GPS, neither does my riding partner for that matter. Roll charts on these organized rides and maps on our free ride trips.
    But since sounds like you have acquired permits w/ BLM... How do promoters mark hazards, speedzones, etc w/GPS and no rollchart to appease BLM, private owners, NF ? :ear
  11. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    waypoints that say, "hey! slow down!"
  12. Kiethco

Kiethco Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    i'm glad to read all the positve reports. my wife wants to know whata fudgypup is, lol. dunerat, where the hell were you, i had to drag all your beer home from vegas.
    i decided not to ride with the heavy workload. at least not until monday on a borrowed bmw...........what a great idea!
    old guy darted out of the orleans parking lot, i t-boned him in the drivers door. Broken back, broken wrist.........i'm sooo riding every mile next year! lots of pain meds now but great to read the ride reports. i want to hook up with the inmate crowd for dinner soon, well, maybe in january.
    fudgy, i'm glad to see we improved your sand skills, if it was easy we'd have everyone out for this ride. I'm always glad i do the hardways as much as i can. i've been known to do the leap from barstow to vegas on the 15.
    thabks for supporting this event, it helps up keep riding areas open, makes christmas happen for barstow kids and so much more. i love the planning, the stories, the friends.
    i'll see some of you at the ims show this weekend!
    357 more days ladies till we do it again!
  13. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    Kieth, good to hear you're doing better now.

Fudgy is a chocolate labrador. When it comes to id's all the ehalls, erichalls, ehall1, etc.. were taken so I had to think of something unique.

Got a 'nilla one now, but I don't think the mods will let me change to nillapup.

[​IMG]
  14. dunerat

dunerat WTF?

Oddometer:
    Hey! Glad to hear your doing good. I had way too much fun at the rider reception and after two days of your hard way routes, I was done( all the Patron shots from Stu didn't help things much either:freaky) look forward to getting together sometime. Get well and heal up good:clap
  15. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:

i tried to drink all Dunerat's drinks you had lined up for him, but i :freaky and got to bed by 1:30AM just to get up at 5AM for an early drive back beating the traffic jams.:eek1

glad to hear your keeping up with your meds this time Kieth.:deal:wink:
  16. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Kieth - can't wait till next year ... in the meantime, will look into booking the Board Room at Dukes for a JAN dinner when you healed and healthy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. lkreed68

lkreed68 aka Black Lab

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

Can this route be ridden any time, or just during the event??

Just joined, and a couple buddies and I are looking for a D/S route to break up winter a little!!
  18. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    while riding the LA-Barstow to Vegas I put the big GSA down in some pretty deep sand. Got the bike back up and she won't start. Everything's cranking and sounds like no gas. I was trying to manage the fuel and minimize weight so the fuel was pretty low. I knew I still had gas but it sure seemed like I was done. Pretty embarrassing right? 8.5 gallon tank and I'm out of gas between Barstow and Baker out in the sticks.

My riding buddy, Gerd and I put our thinking caps on and came up with an idea that I am passing along to all of you:

1. bike went over on the right side, remember I was low on fuel
    2. picked bike up and won't start, seems like fuel thing
    3. laid the bike over on it's left side and rocked it around a little.
    4. picked bike up and started right up
    5. guessing a fuel collector point is on the left side of the tank

Two lessons learned, 1) trick described above and 2) the bike is already 600 lbs, who gives a crap how much gas weighs! <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  19. dunerat

dunerat WTF?

Oddometer:
    All of what we rode is open land OHV areas, I believe it can be ridden anytime. Gon be chilly willy early eve, and days are quite short now
    M2C
  20. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    6. fall over on left side, preferably near Starbucks :D