2011 LA-Barstow-Vegas Dual Sport Ride

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by GalacticGS, Sep 4, 2011.

1. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    No, he didn't go to sleep until after he was done with you.

THEN he went to sleep. :lol3
  2. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:

All fixed up! As of last Thursday. New front rim, new tension strut, skid plate secured.
  3. Chipperdoo2

Chipperdoo2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

That had to cost a pretty penny!?

I was actually thinking of using my GSA on this ride. Then my common sense kicked in, and I took the XR, it's a dirt bike, lighter, easier to ride, cheaper to fix, yada, yada.

Funny thing, just today I was telling my 14 yr old that in a few years I'd like to do this ride with him, him moving up to the XR and me on another dirt bike-or I'd take the GSA.

So who knows, maybe I'll be on the Pig after all!
  4. fudgypup

fudgypup Banned

Oddometer:
    I think the adventure bike route was very doable on a GSA. The toughest part was the long sand washes before we got to Baker on day 2 but they're not impossible.

The rim is what was expensive, $500, but that was avoidable if I had a bit more air in the tire. I had it down to 20lbs but learned the hard way that it risks damaging the rim. Todd ran over the same rock after I did and his wheel was fine.

The tension strut was $65 and was also avoidable if I had the ESA set to hard like I should have. Plus, at 230 lbs (without gear) I should really upgrade my suspension if I plan to do this again. Another factor would be paying attention to your rollchart so you're ready to slow down for a washout.

I don't know for sure how many GS/GSA's entered but I'd say about 12 and I was the only one who didn't finish.

I'd say definitely get your son out there and do it with him. That's something you'll never forget like an ad for MasterCard: priceless.
  5. GK_The_German

GK_The_German Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Todd,

still not there? Do I have to blame the German Post Office or the American??

Come over!! I will burn you one anytime!!!

BTW:

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:freaky:lol3:deal

Gerd
  6. GK_The_German

GK_The_German Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wake up man! Life is short!!!
  7. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:

i couldn't find a yawn smilie, so i used that dude:deal