1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

2011 Moab MonkeyButt

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by enduro-ince, Sep 24, 2011.

1. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    What you ask? 2 days of good riding around Moab
    When? November 5th and 6th.
    What? Well, that is still evolving so bear with us! Bring a solid dirtbike, water, some tools and a can't quit attitude!

Loops are still up in the air you’ll get plenty of the best and most challenging Moab area has to offer. If Slickrock or Hell's Revenge are slightly difficult for you this might not be the ride for you.

Who's going? whoever-open to the public, but know what you are getting into...must have decent skillz and a competent bike...

Plan on making decent time on the trail. If this is your first trip to Moab, then look for other threads, pictures of what it looks like, and stare at those for awhile. We won't be stopping much during the ride for you to do that!

Bike-bring something rock ready! Various protection will be necessary as well as decent cooling. Low gearing really helps with ledges.. We will pass gas (ha ha) in Moab on 1st day going from West trails to east, and will be close to gas at the station up north by Sovereign. I wouldn't recommend a big touring bike, unless you rented it on your buddy's credit card and haven't told him yet! That being said, I have rode with people who have amazing skillz on bigger bikes and wouldn't blink at this trails, but really consider your own skillz and bike and credit card limit for parts and towing fees, and make your own decision.

Meals-i would like breakfast at Moab Diner on Saturday, something else for Sunday since they aren't open then. Lunch-refuel yourself at whatever gas station you refuel your bike at. Dinner-if we don't commit to an excessively long day, maybe a group BBQ would be cool, if we run long, then we can just snack on the stragglers...per group decision as always! This is from last year this is still up in the air but be prepared to fend for yourself.

Lodging-tons of choices! a few places may be offered as this gets close for central places to crash and pitch a tent, but this can be determined closer when we know how many people are really interested. There may be a camping night North of town but that also is still up in the air.

Rides will leave early. Tentatively plan on meeting at the Moab Diner when they open and head out from there. Be gassed and ready when you show up to eat.

So, enough said about that for now. Let the mayhem begin! Bring on your questions, comments and let's have some fun!

Stolen from Mountains and Rivers
  2. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    Thanks in advance for putting this all together, Tom.:D

So when is it?
  3. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:

My pleasure!
    I have no idea when, where, or what.. All I want to do is show up and ride, then complain afterwards that it was either too easy or too hard!!

BTW, today sucked and tomorrow will probably suck even more!!
  4. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a well thought plan. :clap
  5. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last I saw they were thinking about first or second weekend in November, party at tiko's house and his girlfriend is okay with a bunch of obnoxious, smelly guys...oh yeah, and there will be a shitload of riding! I am good whenever, since I still can't ride, but would go and help where possible...
  6. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im planning on going to the Swell/Moab around the first week of November. Hopfully this comes togeather:clap
  7. Raul Duke

Raul Duke DROC

Oddometer:
    So what weekend works better for you?
  8. Raul Duke

Raul Duke DROC

Oddometer:
    Tyko - are you setting up the route for this year?
  9. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree because I'd like to see Ben ride! Sorry Ben, I'm not a stalker but I enjoy watching folks that are good and I've seen video! First weekend in Nov.?

Sure! I just need to figure out if we do the hardest stuff in Moab proper then Sovereign and WW the second day or do a North/ South of the river thing. If we don't have to have GPS coordinates prior we can have more flexibility due to snow levels....if ya know what I mean!
    Are you guys into the hardest route or most miles, I have a # of route options in mind. I personally want the best w/ The Rim, Amasa, Pritchett...up, BTR, Flat Pass, the Sand Flats stuff, then over to PS, GS (Rusty Nail), GBR. Day 2 Sovereign and WW..... Or similar to last years plan.
    I wish the damn Porcupine ST wasn't closed.
  10. Raul Duke

Raul Duke DROC

Oddometer:
    Remember, we will only have about 10hrs of sunlight each day...

...just sayin'... :lol3

I think the S of the river one day and N of the river the next worked well last year.

I guess I would lean towards hardest route over more miles.

I never got to ride the ST portion of Porcupine before it was closed. :cry
  11. Raul Duke

Raul Duke DROC

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  12. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Raul, that pic has too much air in the tires to be your ktm!
  13. Raul Duke

Raul Duke DROC

Oddometer:
    Not anymore! I ditched the Tubliss and am rockin' the Bridgestone Ultra-Heavy-Duty-thick-as-a-mofo tubes. So far, so good!:clap

BTW... I dont know if I told you what was causing the Tubliss failures. Apparently having any more than 1 round of rim tape the edges will tend to lift up and the outside edge of rim tape ends up cutting through the tube when it gets hot. So, if you are running more than 1 round of rim tape, you may want to remove some the next time you change your tires. I didnt have any Tubliss tube flats after that, but I couldnt get the tires themselves to hold up - even with slime - so I am back to the tubes.:lol3
  14. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now we're talkin':freaky
  15. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    This seems like logic. We'll do a S and N day.
  16. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:

I like the sound of your 1st day here, i'm not familiar with flat pass though. Can you connect that with Steel bender, get picked up by trevor at the golf course, shuttled out to PS ETC>>>Rusty nail would be great to end the day on, but we would have to go counter clockwise to make it the hardest direction no? Camp at Tombstone rock? Massive!!!
  17. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha well I hope I can keep up:huh. Sounds like a few pretty famous ADVs coming this time!!

I say the harder the better as long as we're back in time for beers:deal

Hows the weekend of the 5th, is that what everyone was thinking?

18. mylsmkj

mylsmkj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Steelbender is a short offshoot on Flat Pass, basically the same trail. If we did that we could jump on 3D from Tombstone, then Mashed Potato right onto the ST into WW. How would we get to Tombtone Rock, Dubinky is the only way I know from the south.
  19. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    FYI -- Per the advice of my uber-KTM mechanic, Jeff, I've been running a trials tire with a 19 inch tube and have had good luck with pretty darn low pressure. Just sayin'
  20. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Jeff Slavens right?:wink: