2011: My Wife And I Ride Mexico For A Month

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dwj - Donnie, Jan 8, 2011.

1. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
  2. Lartech

Lartech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My GF and I have followed Sheryl and your adventures. it was gut wrenching to read of your loss. We often thought "what a great team" you two make. I hope you continue to ride in her memory. :cry
  3. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    For sure I will continue to ride! I know what she wants me to do! But, it might take a bit of time.:cry
  4. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. tlwood99

tlwood99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am very sorry to hear this Donnie. You two shared some great times together. I am happy for you that you found such a great partner in life and saddened that it had to come to an end all too soon.

Tom W.
  6. abogado68

abogado68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mexico y Mi casa que es tu casa, te espera con los brazos abiertos (Mexico and my home which is also your home will receive you with open arms) :norton:clap
  7. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  8. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am heading to Baja, MX next Friday!:clap:clap:clap I will be riding the KLR650 on this trip. I plan to do a combination of camping/moteling. Hopefully more camping than not. I have saw so many RRs with the tents set up on the beach under the small roof. I need some of that!:deal
  9. redneckjewboy

redneckjewboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got back from watching the Baja 1000 and spent a week in San Filepe. If you are going that direction PM me and I'll turn you onto good places to stay and the best quesedilla con carne on the planet! Also, when you return if you come thru Cali you have a place to stay and your KLR can talk to mine in the garage. Good to see you on the road.

Dave

10. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll drink to that! Glad to hear it.

Have a fun and safe time.

:freaky
  11. RockyRoads

RockyRoads RockyRoads

Oddometer:
    I hope that you have a grand time in Baja, Donnie!
  12. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!:D
  13. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    keep us posted Donny. not too many talk about camping in mexico. if you do any of that, I'd lie to know about it. also, i'm reading threads and thinking...GOLDWING, as that is what i have now. i know you have mucho wing miles as well as adventure bike knowledge. any thing you might have to say about a bike choice would be welcome. have a great trip!
  14. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have never camped in Mexico, but I have followed a lot of long term riders that have, plus a lot of folks camp on the beach in Baja.

I would not ride a Goldwing to Mexico! There are others that do it, but he speed bumps in the small towns I ride through would likely severely damage the bottom of the crank case on the Wing. I followed a RR that one of the fellows was riding a Wing. He mostly stayed on the toll roads and still drug holes in his belly pan. I do think a belly pan would be absolutely essential if you were going to ride a Wing down there. But, if that is all that you have and that is where you want to go, have fun!

I am riding my KLR650 on this trip. To be honest, the KTM would be nicer, but since the KLR is worth about 15% of what the KTM's value, I will take the cheap moto as long as it is suitable and reliable. Dr Greg Frazer says don't take any moto into a foreign country that you cannot deal with having to leave there. I think that is pretty good advise. I will take the KTM to Mexico eventual, but for now, the KLR and the BMW will have to do. BTW, I purchase liability only insurance when traveling Mexico. A years worth don't cost much more than a months worth. That is the reason that Sheryl and my 2010 and 2011 Mexico trips actually took place in a 12 month time span. The company I use will allow you to change the moto covered once during the insured time period.

For me, a moto is no more than a tool. Use the tool that best fits the ride that you are doing. Buy the moto that best fits the riding that you want to do, not what you think is cool. Keep in mind such things as, for example, nothing compares to the ride and comfort of the Wing on good highways of the US and most of Canada. But the BMW GS, for example, is far more comfortable, even two up on the poor roads of many developing nations such as Mexico.

Of my motos, If I could only have one of them for two up riding, it would be the BMW R1100GS. It is a very good bike and handles two up as smoothly as the Wing. If one up riding was the only consideration, the KTM 990 Adventure would be the moto. Very capable machine! But of course, you can spend a couple thousand or so on a KLR650 and literaly go any where in the world.
  15. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    That's a very good run-down on bikes and Mexico, Donnie. You may find even the KLR a bit heavy for some parts of Baja but it's definitely your best choice.

Wish I could join you but I'm still a working man trying to make retirement.
  16. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought long and hard about taking the KLX250S, but since I am going to be by myself and not riding any single track or deep sand, I figured the KLR would be fine. Plus it will be a lot easier to ride it to Baja from Mississippi than it would be the 250. I have done it a couple of times, but I absolutely hate to truck/trailer my motos. I have even thought of buying a small trailer to haul the KLX behind the Goldwing. I don't know how the KTM will do in sand, but it is worlds better than my KLR on gravel and I have spent a fair amount of money on the KLR's suspension. But, like I already said, I ain't taking that much money to Mexico, I know you guys take the high dollar motos down there, but not me! At least while I got a cheaper tool to get the job done!:D
  17. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking for a post