2011 Oct 28 - 30 Arkansas Adventure!

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by TroyWolf, Oct 26, 2011.

1. TroyWolf

TroyWolf Student in the art of less

Oddometer:
    Plan to do about 750 miles this weekend from Kansas City down to Arkansas and back. The ride will include some of the best Arkansas twisty highways and rugged forest roads like the infamous Warloop and Pannell. Want to come? Details are here:
    http://www.rideforum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1334
  2. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    :D

<div><object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/VDhndPlWVWc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/VDhndPlWVWc?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object></div>

I'll be hauling down as usual. :ricky :kumbaya
  3. Trl Rdr

Trl Rdr Big Red Bird

Oddometer:
    How was your ride? Saw natural dam & went over the tunnel yesterday. Lots of quads & side by sides at Mulberry. Almost back to MO now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  4. TroyWolf

TroyWolf Student in the art of less

Oddometer:
    Our ride was great! Just over 800 miles for the weekend. Weather was wonderful, although the first hour Sat morning was 30 - 35 degrees.

Unfortunately, to get down to the really good stuff from Kansas City in a weekend, you have to do a lot of highway pavement or you'll never get all the way down there. That said, the route home up 59 then 43 was remarkably good. Only once we hit 69 did I start to feel the miles and wish I could fast-forward home. Made it home by sundown.

I'll have some pics to share soon. Warloop was a slightly anticlimactic. That road had been worked up in online reports so much I guess I was expecting more. I know it's been graded recently, and I can tell that if it was muddy, rutted, or washed out, it would be gnarly. My F800 had no problem with it. There was one section only about 500 ft that I would even consider gnarly, and that was because it was steep with loose rock. On the F8 with stock tires, I'm sure I would have struggled trying to ride up that section. When we hit that gnarly bit, I thought, "Alright! This is more like it!". Then in 500 ft, we were back to easy trail and then we saw houses, and I was like, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! That's it?!"

The first half of Pannell road was kind of the same--we were thinking, "is this what people warned us about?!". The 2nd half of Pannell did not disappoint! It got plenty gnarly for at least a mile or two. Again, no problem on a F800, and I'm sure plenty of guys would easily ride it on a 1200. I don't think riding up Pannell would be too difficult either. It's gnarly but not all that steep. Mud would make a big difference, though. Pannell is mostly a dirt road--not gravel, so when muddy, it would be a real mess.

A highlight road for our little group was FS 5550 between Hwy 123 and 21. (Google map does not show this road going through, but it does.) There is a neat 1850 (or so) cabin that you can tour--sign the guestbook if you do. There are 4 creek crossings that can be serious if the water is up a bit. Also some large mud holes to get through.

"Cottonwood Rd" NE of Harrison was cool, too. On Google map it is yellow as if it is a relatively major road. I expected it to be paved. Instead, it was rugged and you crossed cattle guards to ride through a pasture with cows on the road, etc.

Missouri Hwy AA N of Galena, MO was very beautiful--another highlight.

Hwy 123 near Mt. Judea (Arkansas "tail of the dragon") was very good, but I think I like Push Mountain Rd better.

The natural dam at Natural Dam, AR was beautiful. Great burger at the store there.
  5. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I Supporter

Oddometer:
    TrlRdr got reloaded and is on his way home, had a great time! :clap We didn't do anything too gnarly, the upper jethro road crossing was much tamer than the raging torrent at SLAP. Big Thanks to the NW Arkansas inmates for gps tracks and info, nice to have the inside scoop. :D