2011 R1200RT: High mileage camhead..driveshaft

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Tbone, May 28, 2021.

1. Tbone

Tbone off-ramp slayer

Oddometer:
    Just managed to catch the driveshaft going on my 2011 R1200RT (166k) Started to feel a slight vibration through the pegs as I transitioned from on to off throttle and visa/versa. Pulled shaft and u-joint closest to trans was fine in one direction but had very limited movement in the other. Went with Beemershops rebuildable driveshaft. Yrs ago had used Machine Services in Greenbay with poor results on a GS. Hope this works out better as grease every 30-40k and they sell rebuild kit if needed.

https://www.beemershop.com/product/r1200-ei-rebuildable-driveshaft-for-models-with-22-splines.html
    danketchpel, 18415 and Coma like this.
  2. PerazziMx14

PerazziMx14 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2007 R1200GS last year with 13K on the odometer. Part of my routine when i get a new to me GS is to pull the swingarm to check the pivot bearings and in the process also check the drive shaft and splines in totality. I toyed with idea of skipping this as it was a low mileage bike and no signs of a lot of wet riding. One day out of boredom I decided to remove the swingarm. Once I got the drive shaft out I cleaned it up and inspected it and found that one of the U-joints was slightly notchy. When riding the bike you could not feel anything out of the ordinary. So at 13K that driveshaft was replaced with a Ted Porter offering. I didn't want to spend the money and toyed with the idea of rebuilding or looking for used but in the end the new driveshaft form Ted seemed like the best investment. The premium of a couple hundred dollars was worth it. Buy once cry once.
    vagueout, marc11 and Tbone like this.
  3. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Despite the fact that I rebuilt my 1150's shaft, I'm planning to buy one of these "rebuildable" aftermarket shafts to put into my cam head Adv, still has low milage but having the new aftermarket item in the bike is a feel good thing. I feel that if BMW fitted similar at the factory they would sell more bikes due to removing some of the doubt that prevents a good number of sales. :*sip*
    Tbone and 18415 like this.
  4. oldfool

oldfool Long timer

Oddometer:
    I lost the driveshaft on my HP2 at 75,000 miles. It happened in a road construction area where I couldn't pull over. If you even think it is going bad change it. It was almost catastrophic.
    Tbone likes this.
  5. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I decided to put a Ted Porter driveshaft in my Urban GS as I was feeling some vibes on decel that seemed like possible U-joints. I decided if I was going that deep I didn't want to figure it out later so I just ordered up a new shaft from Ted and moved on. I think the new shaft is smoother running even though my old shaft turned out to be pretty decent with ~9,300 miles on it. My biggest concern was my bike has the Wilbers +70mm suspension upgrade so the swingarm is at a more drastic angle than stock putting more wear on the front U-joint.

One thing that surprised me was that the rebuildable shaft is a bit heavier than the stock one.

20210508_131159-2.jpg
  6. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    No kidding, replacement warranted at 9,300 miles?