1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

2011 Rocky Mountain Adventure Rally

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Big_John, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Orange_Crash

Orange_Crash Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, while I was up in RMAR and rode 120 miles on Friday and had a great time, Had to make a little adjustment to the accelerator pump and she rocked! 40 mile slab back to camp at 8000rpm no problem. Sat headed out of town, Chunk, Chunk, Chunk and I shut her down and got towed back to camp. Good thing I brought the KLR! Well now I am home and I pulled the head and the lower con-rod bearing is toast. Good thing is a fellow rider in town has a crank case splitter and has offered to help. Question is: just replace the min. and how do I find out what that is? Order a new crank and all? Put in a stroker kit?
  2. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
  3. yzfcathy

yzfcathy Weeble

Oddometer:
    Where to begin...*

We sure enjoyed all the hard work John put into making this years RMAR such a great success. I have no idea just how many unsung heroes John had helping to get everything done, but doubtless there were many people involved and I just want to say thanks to everyone who worked so hard so Skip and I could have such a nice time.
    I'm sure we're not alone and are coming up way short in expressing our appreciation, but thank you all. We had a great time.

Doug, thanks for leading such a fun ride Friday. I joked when I spoke of the length of the ride, as though it were too long. On the contrary, that 260+ mile ride went by in a flash, as though we had only ridden about 50 miles.
    It went by in the blink of an eye to me. I wouldn't have wanted it any different.

Not only did you take us along, but you fed us all (and I mean ALL of us, the entire RMAR guests) afterwards with those cute furry cow fajita's. They were yummy.

Barry, the flying TOOF ache...Dude, that was the best crash that didn't end with medical attention required, that I ever saw. Awesome way to "stay on the bike" all the way to the creek bottom.
    Michael, thanks for being the man with the camera so we actually had proof of the events of the day. Too bad I left my SD card for my camera at home.
    Andrew joined us on that ride also. Two RMAR years in a row. Sweet.

We collectively opted for an easier ride on Sat so Skip, myself, Michael and Barry all set out to see what we could muster with a FS map and some GPS help. Between Skip and Michael leading, we all had a nice ride, this time no winch required.

We had to hit the road early Sunday. We got up before the sun and packed up to leave. Barry was leaving about the same time as us and said to Skip that he had not slept much. In anticipation of the fun road trip this very day.

I spoke to Skip about this later and reflected that we as adults have found in this love of motorcycling, the same joy and excitement that we all experienced as children waiting for Christmas morning to come, every time we take a ride. How cool is that.

Cathy & Skip
    Tucson
  4. g-bike

g-bike beerdrinkin'fuckaholic

Oddometer:
    Hey Cathy! I enjoyed riding with you & Skip once again. Oh & let's not forget Doug, who lead another great ride this year. After my stupid "smack down" Friday, I awoke with a badly bruised hip. Black from my hip to my knee, so chose to start making my way back to Georgia on the advice of my RN gf. Lol. Rode 1582 miles in 28 hours. Arrived home Sunday at 1:00 pm. What a blast I had. Thanks for another great event Big John, can't wait till next year!
  5. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    I still vote for next RMAR to be held in Moab for 2012. :D
  6. StevG57

StevG57 Rocky Mtn surf patrol

Oddometer:
    Moab, sure, but please not in August.
  7. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf High functioning sociopath

Oddometer:
    PM Sgt. Marty. He's the KLR Guru.

Whilst I am here, anyone see my blue handled steak tools? Flipper and tongs?
  8. BgDadddy

BgDadddy Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    That would work... if we did it in March.

9. Mac

Mac Long timer

Oddometer:
    So the rumor is true?

It's hot at Moab in August? :evil
  10. Tellydoug

Tellydoug Troubador of joy

Oddometer:
    Only on days ending in "Y"....
  11. jared1843

jared1843 Drifter

Oddometer:
    I'll do a full Moab Ride report for you guys. Just 6 week until my trip to there!!! :clap

12. SteveO

SteveO scratched and bruised, but not out Supporter

Oddometer:
    ah man, Moab would be super cool. There are lots of really cool trails there. My favorite for the bike is Kane's creek....long awesome ride....
  13. merickk

merickk Living Folk Tale

Oddometer:
    Thanks for puttin on another great RMAR John. :thumb
  14. jared1843

jared1843 Drifter

Oddometer:
    Did you do that one on a bike!? I was there last year with my jeep and had to camp overnight on the trail as it got dark on us. That rock wall climb would be crazy on a big bike!

15. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Kane Creek is usually the way we get to Behind the Rocks and then Pritchitt.

Great classic Moab day. I wouldn't do that on a big bike............or a jeep.:rofl
  16. TeneRay

TeneRay Bitch, I'm fabulous

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of hitting up Moab early next month for 2 days. Any "must see" attractions?
  17. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    All of it is must see, two days isn't nearly enough. I was there for a week a couple years ago and barely got to scratch the surface. I met a guy out there who had been riding the area for 6 weeks and said he had just begun to get it covered.
  18. BgDadddy

BgDadddy Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Like everyone else, I had a fantastic time at RMAR 2011!

Thanks, Big John and all the other volunteers, for making this the best rally of the year.

It was great seeing old friends and making new ones. As always, I apologize to all of you who I might have offended, but for once, I actually can't think of anyone who I might have pissed off! :D

I finished up my ride report for my trip and RMAR and if anyone would like to read it, it is right here: RMAR and the Western TAT, August 2011

See you all next year! :freaky

Rick
  19. iphorde

iphorde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was nice meeting everyone. Sorry, I jetted out of there... My mother brought my boys up early and I met them in Colorado Springs to go to the Zoo there. Great Zoo by the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is hard to pass up time to spend with my two boys.

I have ordered a new front wheel from Woody so I hope this one works better. I have attached a video of where I might have bent it, but I don't think it was bent afterwards. This was my first time to take this 990 off-road. I really enjoyed the little time I had on it. I want to really open her open and see what she will do now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this is where I might have bent the rim. But I really don't think so... I was running back 95+MPH all the way back from Lake City and it sure seems like I would have noticed it. Be careful on the Jeep infested roads around corners. Those tricky bastards are everywhere. :D

<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0h3aKG83KrM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  20. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer: