2012 990 Adventure Immobilizer Location?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Bajageorgia, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Bajageorgia

Bajageorgia n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey all, new 990 adv owner here. The owner only had one black key and no orange key nor code card. The bike is a pristine, very very low mile bike so I decided to bite the bullet and replace the lock set and immobilizer so it would be as new. I intend to ride this thing for at least 10 years.

I haven’t found any info on the actual location of the immobilizer. I pulled apart the fairing and headlight assembly thinking it would be up under the speedo cluster but it’s not there.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks all!
  2. Bajageorgia

Bajageorgia n00b

Oddometer:
    Should have mentioned, it’s a 2012 R.
  3. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has this not been covered enough that it's possible to find by searching?

Really hope you payed very little for the bike.

Cause to do it the right way it's ALOT of money.

Have not really set myself into this problem but think ECU needs to be replaced. And a full lock set, just the keys with chip will cost way to much.

There are rumors about some company being able to reprogram and remove immobilizer.

Good luck.

/Johan
    Bajageorgia likes this.
  4. Bajageorgia

Bajageorgia n00b

Oddometer:
    Got a great deal on it. There has been a lot of coverage. The ecu does not need to be replaced but does need to be connected to KTM diagnostic system to instruct the ecu to accept the new immobilizer. I have all that worked out. Just need to find the immobilizer to pop in the new one. Any insight on the actual location of it?
  5. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Personally if it were me,, I would either send the ECU out to have the immobilizer programed out or find an earlier ECU the doesn't have the immobilizer programming.
    Bajageorgia likes this.
  6. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    Wow, everything offered except what bajageorgia asked.... tough crowd.
    But sorry, I don’t recall where the damn is physically located. Someone will chime in with the actual answer.
    Bajageorgia likes this.
  7. Bajageorgia

Bajageorgia n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok- found it. 2012 990 Adventure immobilizer is located under the top storage compartment tucked into the frame on the right side.

It is accessible by removing only the compartment. The tank and fairing do not need to be removed.
    Gmc28, DirtyADV and Boatman like this.