2012 BMW G650GS Sertao Owners

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Psychout, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Mofrid

Mofrid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bummer ... we are looking forward to you coming. Ride the frankenbeamer?
    Sounds like you will still make it!
    It is always best to have problems at home.
    Get up here somehow ...I have a bike or two for you to ride.
  2. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be there and on the 650. I have a good spare wheel, new tire if I can't fix the other wheel first.
    Don't think I want to risk taking the Frankenbeemer that far yet. Maybe n00bs, or Pahrump if I can get the valves done sooner. Other than that is seems to be sound.
  3. Aquatic

Aquatic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happens when the bearing is not pushed square up against the shoulder. For what ever reason. Poor install, dirt, etc. Doesn't have to be much.

Difficult to explain, but what essentially happens is the outer race has a continuous "speed wobble" and the vibrations causes the wear.

Happens with cheap bearings when the internal tolerances are too "open".
    You said you only use reputable name brands. Could have been the dud first bearing off the line on Monday morning.
  4. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Odd to say the least, on both the low mileage on the bearings & spinning in the hub, how many times have bearings been replaced in that hub ?
  5. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    No idea. This is a used wheel I picked up off ebay several years back. I replaced the bearings then and they seemed tight at the time. I;m guessing about 12,000-13,000 miles on these bearings.
  6. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    Sure you already inspected and no idea whether or not this will affect a bearing like that (and I suspect it would be the outer two before the "middle") - axle not aligned? Or not taut enough so that the wheel has moved when accelerating or braking?
    Would worn cush rubbers create and slop? Not in that axis I'd imagine, but just throwing out ideas here.
  7. NahdarVebb

NahdarVebb Lukas

Oddometer:
    Not sure whether this is a good technique to fix your hub, but I find it very interesting.

8. RAR

RAR bRARp.....

Oddometer:
    2019-09-11 18.00.54.jpg
    Hello. This is my 2015 sertao front wheel.
    Should there be a dust seal between the sealed wheel bearing (orange arrow ) and the wheel spacer (red arrow ) ?
    Or is this the way it is ?
  9. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Just a dust seal on the one side. The little aluminum spacer does cover the lip of the bearing seal and keeps most of the filth out.
  10. RAR

RAR bRARp.....

Oddometer:
    Cool , thanks.
  11. blacklion_spb

blacklion_spb n00b

Oddometer:
    I have very simple question about 2012 Sertao, which I can not google answer for: how much amps are left after all standard equipment? I know, that generator is 400W, but I can not find how much all standard equipment consumes. Say, grips heaters and high beam are turned on, how much reserve is left for additional equipment?

Also, which power distribution box fits best under the seat? FZ-1? Eastern Beaver PC-8 with relay? Something else?

Thank you.
  12. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Sorry that no one got back to you sooner. Here is the link from WayneC's website about power budgets http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/AboutGS-Electrics.html
    The bike's normal loads including heated grips is somewhere around 200W. This does not include intermittent loads like turn signals. I wouldn't budget more than about 100W for accessories to be safe.

As for fuse boxes, it all depends on what you want to connect. Not everything needs to be individually fused and more fuses does not make more power available. Fuses do not protect the accessory, they protect the wiring. A relay, switched with the ignition, is a good idea as it protects the ignition switch from the additional current. So, maybe something like the Eastern Beaver 3CS-HD or 3CS-S might suffice. Another route might be to look at marine fuse blocks, like the ones from Blue Sea Systems.

Water-proof versus water-resistant is another trade off. If you don't expect the entire bike to ever be submerged but do expect it to get rained on, then water-resistant might be all you need.

I added 2 fused circuits on my Sertao and 5 on my Airhead using connectors I had and relays and fuse holders from an auto parts store.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Total cost for both was around $35. I don't run heated gear and only have a dual port USB charger for all my "tech".

Whatever you end up doing, stick with one size of fuse on each bike (preferably one size on ALL your bikes). Your Tao uses mini-ATM fuses, so it would be best to go with a mini-ATM fuse holder/fuse block.
  13. blacklion_spb

blacklion_spb n00b

Oddometer:
    No problem and thank you for thorough answer.
    Now motorcycle has additional LED lights which are turned on always, xenon lights (completely illegal, but in my country road police doesn't bother to stop motorcycles) attached to high beam switch and USB/Cigarette lighter combo socket. Problem is, all this attaches by previous owner (my motorcycle was bought second-hand by me) with a bowl of spaghetti with cheap (and not water-resistant) in-line fuse sockets under the seat.
    My mechanic (recommended to me by my more experienced friend) says, all this could kill standard electronics (ECU & such), and must be re-wired in "normal" way. And xenon must be deinstalled completely, for sure, it is dangerous on the road and, again, illegal.

I want to have additional LED DRLs, 12V cable for top case (to have charger inside top case for things like power banks and photo camera), one USB cable for phone/navigator, current 12V/USB combo-socket on dashboard, and it's all. No heated garments or something really power-hungry.

Another problem is which 12v-to-usb box to place under the seat, with USB cable attached (soldered) without intermediate socket :-)

Maybe, I want to add jumpstart cable which allows me to jumpstart from another vehicle without removing fairings, but it is discussion point with my mechanic, as he thinks it is not safe at all.
  14. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:

Sounds like all good ideas. Especially straightening out a messy job done by someone with few skills.

I use a marine-grade, waterproof, USB charger with just regular cables. One is very short (0.2m) and goes to my GPS. The other port I can run a 1m into my tankbag and charge whatever I want. Only the charger is exposed to the weather and I have it pointed so that water run out of the USB ports.
    14 Perch.JPG
    As for jumpstarting, check under the seat, at the front near the little square fuse box for a metal stud with a plastic cap. Many of the G650s came with a jumpstart post provided. It goes directly to the + terminal of the battery.
  15. blacklion_spb

blacklion_spb n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks like it is custom pod?

Thank you for direction to "+" jumpstart stood. It is here, indeed. All this "bowl of spaghetti" was attached to it and it was covered by multiple layers of electrotape :-)
  16. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Yes, I hacked it out of piece of 60mm x 60mm aluminum angle. It is attached with some long bolts and some bits of 8mm tube.
  17. nomad5326

nomad5326 Xventurous

Oddometer:
    Go w/the Dakar USD YZ fork swap kit here on ADV. Aquatic makes all the mods for keeping your OEM wheel, ABS, Brakes so its pretty plug and play minus finding the forks, getting them rebuilt and working with the topclamp and ignition.
  18. CageFreeBMW

CageFreeBMW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I looked long and hard for reviews on the Heed brand engine / fairing guards for the G650GS without too much success. I bought them anyway about 6 months ago so I thought I would add a review of them for anyone considering them in the future.

So far I have LOVED them! I have had one significant drop on them so far (and several minor tip overs) and they have held up great. The one big drop did dent and scrap the bar a little but did it's job and protected all of the plastics. Yesterday I did my first oil change and valve check with the guards on and I didn't have to remove either of the bars for the whole job. The only interference they caused was with the coolant overflow tank. I was slide the overflow tank just far enough out and rest it on the Heed guard to just barely able to wiggle the valve cover off. It wasn't super smooth and next time I may just pull the bar off anyway to make my life easier, but it is definitely doable with the bars in place.

Two other notes on the bars themselves:
    First, the optional bags that attach to the bars are very nice for extra storage and don't seem to impact the cooling of the engine (in Utah summer that is saying something). However the neoprene "straps" used to attach them to the bars don't hold up well to being dropped on rocks. After my single drop I two of the 4 straps have holes in them. They still work just fine, but I could see a worse drop causing the neoprene to rip completely. Nothing a little webbing and needle and thread won't fix though. They are waterproof enough to keep things dry form morning due and light rain for about an hour, but that is all I have tested so far.
    Second, talking with the Heed rep before purchasing their warranty is only good if the bike is never dropped and there is an issue (i.e. a weld breaks). Definitely understandable, but something to be aware of when you see the "2 year warranty". The best thing he told me (in my opinion) about them is that if one bar gets destroyed you can contact them an buy just one bar from them (at half price of the set) rather than having to buy they full set again. G650GS Sertao Heed Bars.jpg
    Gravel Seeker likes this.
  19. Mofrid

Mofrid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    20190929_112004.jpg 20190929_115716.jpg

Had a great ride up into the park!

Never had icicles on my tires before.
    murin, GrizzLee and Motopsychoman like this.
  20. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    I love the Heed bars.

I have the Mosko 8 liter bags attached to them. I carry my tools, first aid, tow straps, etc.. Keeps some of the weight forward as the I find the front of the Sertao is a bit light with luggage and the fuel under the seat in the rear.

I love this setup. The bike is well planted for the Back Country Discover Routes I have taken it on so far.

2019-10-02 20.17.43.jpg
    IMG_8242.JPG
    dmski, Singulano and CageFreeBMW like this.