2012 BMW G650GS Sertao Owners

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Psychout, Dec 8, 2011.

1. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
  2. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Made a folding brake lever so I don't pretzel it again
    IMG_20191004_123407857.jpg
  3. CageFreeBMW

CageFreeBMW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very nice! What did you do for the second catch point so it only folds up and not down when you stomp on it?
  4. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    The joint is only radiused on one corner. Here is a link to all the pics for anyone who cares.

Google is playing tricks with links. Please hold...
    This should work...
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/CuFAFg8HnUpx8TiX6

Guess I should add that it was done with the following tools:
    Hack saw
    Various drill bits
    90° countersink
    M6 & M8 taps
    Flat file
    Grinder and benchtop drill press
    Tundra Tom and Mofrid like this.
  5. Sparqq

Sparqq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice sprocket cover too!
  6. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Hacked out of a 6"x6"x1" piece of UHMW. Wanted something that would stop a broken chain from trashing the alternator cover. Used a piece of 1/2" for the cover, should have used 1/4".
    Sparqq likes this.
  7. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Another trick visible in the pic. Not recent, probably 5 years ago now.

Pedal lowering copy.jpg

I needed to lower the brake pedal in order to fit my Forma boots. Added a thick-walled hollow dowel pin to the pedal stop. Then had to adjust the actuator rod and added a heavy duty TyRap so the brake light switch worked again.
    Tundra Tom, GrizzLee and CageFreeBMW like this.
  8. Mofrid

Mofrid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Hence ... the psycho man part of moto.
    A beautiful thing!
  9. CageFreeBMW

CageFreeBMW Adventurer

Oddometer:

Very nice. Thanks for the pics! I was planning on trying to figure something out to lower the angle a bit when I hammer my pedal back to straight. Since I added the Ratel peg lowering kit the bike has felt SO much better sitting and standing, but quickly reaching the brake pedal has become an issue.
  10. Singulano

Singulano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last updates...
    1 - 5w Repsol fork oil, way better now.
    2 - #sunset
    3 - broken leg on the top case holder, maybe vibration, maybe too much bumps... welded again.
    4 - 3000km running a 17T front sprocket. Good above 110km/h on highways, bad on the rest.

IMG-20190917-WA0006.jpeg IMG_20190917_173555-01.jpeg IMG_20190913_092820822.jpg
  11. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Installed a 15T on my Tao before heading to Oregon recently. Okay to 120+ kph, way better in dirt than the 16T, but sustained freeway riding mileage tanked. Rode 800+ km home at 120+ kph and my mileage was only about 19 kpl (5l/100km, 45 mpg). With the 16T I usually average 20% better.
    Mofrid likes this.
  12. Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the 17 for long highway use and the 15 for around town and dirt. The stock 16 is a good all around if you don't want to change the sprockets on your journey. It only takes me about 20 minutes to do the change over now including lubing the chain.
  13. Singulano

Singulano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will change back to 16T next time... it's not a problem make the change, but not worth to me. Using more daily, big trips are being rare and dirt are the easiest. Maybe next year, intending to be back in Jalapão, the brazilian desert/paradise. I've been there in 2015... but there is 1500km on highways until there that worth a 17T and when I reach the sand a 15T could be great. So, probably will be best to keep the 16T to all the situations anyway...

2015 photos. Yamaha XT 600E 2003, just one year riding bikes, zero offroad experience, what a week!
    SAM_1915.JPG SAM_1909.JPG SAM_2004.JPG 12654492_1756558741240810_2967612054027202254_n.jpg SAM_1736.JPG SAM_1612.JPG SAM_1717.JPG
  14. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    Thanks, This is what I need to do for the footpeg kit.

Looks great!!!
  15. Tundra Tom

Tundra Tom XLR8

Oddometer:
    "And the ADV Mcgyver award goes to...." :clap
  16. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    I really should do something better than the TyRap but it works, so what-the-hell...
  17. Tundra Tom

Tundra Tom XLR8

Oddometer:
    I still thinks it's awesome. You could start your own GS-650 Farkle Sales Site.
  18. mattmg6

mattmg6 n00b

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] Just got my major upgrade to a Sertao. 2014 with 7900 miles. Previously I was on an ancient dr350, so this is a big change for me. I've gotten engine guards, new barkbusters, and a headlight guard. I have Caribou/pelican panniers ordered. What's next in the general opinion? Wide footpegs? More lights?[​IMG] center stand? Picture is before installing the previously mentioned additions.
  19. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Congrats and welcome to the Tao thread.

Your picture didn't post.

A lot depends on how you really plan on using the bike. It is not a DR350. It weighs a lot more and isn't always happy off-road depending on conditions. But on the road it is much happier than a DR350 is. I find it a good bike for doing the occasional 600 mile day.

I ride long distances to destinations and then head off-road onto dirt road, fire roads, hardpack gravel, etc. I moto-camp so I have to carry all my gear with me. That type of riding has had a lot to do with the decisions I made.

In general I'd suggest a decent skid plate next. I've had the Happy-Trail skid plate for about 5 years now and it is the best bang for the buck.

I'm a big fan of a center-stand (I have the SW-Motech one) as it makes servicing the bike much easier, but not every likes all that extra weight.

Ride the bike for a while and see where you think you need to work on ergonomics. That might dictate different foot pegs, even a different handlebar bend. You won't know until you ride it for a bit. Wider and lower foot pegs helped me. Also be aware, the OEM handlebar might as well be made of butter so there is a good chance that you will end up changing it at some point. I bent mine on the very first dump.

Lots of good info from folks on this thread and over on the G650GS thread. Check out WayneC's website also. It has a wealth of information about the F/G 650 singles.

So, when you have questions, feel free to ask away.
  20. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Forgot to mention the first essential: A hockey puck foot enlarger for the side stand. The bike leans way too much. Some of us have cut off the side stand mount and re-welded it a bit lower to make the bike stand up much straighter.
    PullingG's likes this.